Fluval 5 gal

Livebearer

I have a suggestion to tame this outflow problem. I have one of these too (but not set-up as of yet) but hooked up the pump in a bucket with outflow tube attacted.
Take a piece of sponge cut it with scissors to fit IN the top end of the outflow tube (inside filter box area) BEFORE the directional out flow nozzle, You might want to use a toothpick to push it in gently. I do this with all of my nano h.o.b.'s (but are in reverse flow) and no shrimp suckin' since! Use a pourious sponge material like the black type. There is also a reduction flow adjustment on this pump as well.
Report back with results PLEASE.

dwarfpike

Despite the obvious lack of a TARDIS or water tower, it's a good start. The way you have laid out the wood gives it a visual depth that is hard to achieve in such narrow tanks. :spoton: 

MorganEA

Thank you SiRWesDragon for the new plants! This is the best picture I could get, the water is all mucky from me playing with the filter.

Anthony J.

Looks good! If your around midway, they have a nice selection of nano fish, from dwarf rasboras like the chillie and exclamation point, to dwarf gourami and nano tetras like the ember and green neon. They also have a pretty sizsble selection of shrimp.

To help combat the flow problem I've heard of people cutting a slit into the return tubing, so that water is partially diverted back into the filter. Just a thought :cheers: 

MorganEA

lol that was human error, I didn't realize that the outlet it was plugged into is on the same circuit as the living room lights and they are controlled by a light switch. so when some one turns off the lights the filter would be turned off as well. does that make sense? electrical stuff is confusing...

MRTom

LOL, yeah, I made that my mistake with a computer a long time ago... I wasn't happy when someone walked out of the room and turned off the computer shutting down all my important work (I believe I was a few hours into an age of empires map at the time...)

Glad to hear the tank is still going strong :) Happier still to see xmas lights behind it! Now you need some RCS to get really festive!

MorganEA

that sucks!! The top plug is controlled by the light switch but the bottom one isn't (weird!) so I got an extension cord, problem solved! Im getting paid tomorrow so Ill get some more tetras and possibly shrimp. Question do tetras school with other sp of tetra? also do I need to quarantine shrimp?

A

Anonymous

MorganEA said:
 Im getting paid tomorrow so Ill get some more tetras and possibly shrimp. Question do tetras school with other sp of tetra? also do I need to quarantine shrimp?
I dont believe other tetra species dont. Cause my dont. My 4 neons, 2 blk neons, 7 rummies, 2 blk skirts, 2 red serpaes, 4 red phatoms, 2 glow lights, 2 bleeding hearts, and 2 emperors. 
 What kind of shrimp you planning to buy? If red cherry buy from the craiglist guy in Issaquah his shrimps are deep red. Jettej has some of his shrimps man they are red. $2 per shrimp.  
http://seattle.en.craigslist.org/est/for/4230817024.html

MRTom

For a while (and through some confusion at the store) I had a lone head and tail light tetra in a tank with some harlequin rasboras (12 of them). The rasboras would school together 90% of the time, and the tetra would join their school for 50-60% of the time... So I think that rather than just tetra w/ tetra, if the fish are similar enough in shape, size and color, they'll eventually school for a while.

However, if you want the best behavior (always schooling) and the best look (a uniform school, IMHO), you would do best with a single species. Neon tetras are an awesome choice for that.

dwarfpike

I always prefer to see a single fish species in larger numbers myself. I just think it looks better visually, but of course that's a personal preference.

A

Anonymous

Go check the craiglist ad link I provided.  Real red not like those lame  red colored ones in LFS.