Fluval 5 gal

MorganEA

I bought Madness's Fluval Spec and I finally got it setup and running, It is home to two ram horn snails and some left over plants from my tank.
fluvalspec.jpg

Do you guys have any ideas on small fish that will do well with shrimp?

MRTom

You could try dwarf rasboras. Maculatus and urophthalmoides would be great! Brigittae if you can find it! They give lots of mileage for the nano dollar! They would love that great setup :)

A

Anonymous

Good time for a road trip to Aquarium CoOp! They got nanO fish galore, stuff u may have never seen...

This set up does look good MorganEA!

Dwarf Puffers & Dwarf Cory cats! <--- my $0.02 :D

MorganEA

Im not sure what plants to put in it, maybe Ill put different kinds of anubias in it.
Oh the possibilities!! :shock: 

A

Anonymous

NO dwarf puffers with ram horns, lol. For real puffers are cute but are more pain in the butt to feed. Live snails or worms. Flakes or dried food dont work for them.

A

Anonymous

MorganEA. I got extra Limnophila aromatica (rice paddy herb)​

Chiisai

I have this same tank. My only complaint is the filter output is like a freaking fire house. wish I could tone it down.

MorganEA

I have it turned so it hits the glass, that helped a bit. I have heard of people putting a sponge over it? not sure it that would help.

Chiisai

Yeah tried that with a rubberband holding it. Works for a day till it shoots it off. Even aiming it at the glass I lost 2 betta's to the high power flow. How often do you find a filter thats too strong for the tank it came with lol

MRTom

I have a similar fluval tank and struggled with the same problem... Never did come up with a good solution. I tried the foam on the outlet as a diffuser and that helped a bit. Problem is that you need a big piece of foam (I used a 3" long section) an that detracts from the look of the tank. I put the foam on the inside of the line from the pump to the outlet... that only helped a bit. I figure that if you could build a plastic "muffler" with a wider outlet you would slow the flow (bernoulli's principle), but if you got the time/money to do that, you would be better of doing other things. In the end I angled the water towards a long piece of slate and used that to control what part of the tank was getting messed up by the flow (and to give my betta more quiet swimming space!).

Another heads up: If you get shrimp going in there, be prepared to fish for them in the filter section! Especially younger shrimp that get sucked in by the water flow alone.

Finally, one of the most amazing things to blow my mind in recent days:
img1743medium.jpg

Source: TOPIC: epiphyte's Fluval Spec 2g & Vase 2g - "Betta Homes"

MorganEA

yea that's the one thing that I wasn't sure about with shrimp. I will probably only do shrimp if I can find healthy ones locally, I went to my LFS and they had tanks full of dead shrimp :no: 

Chiisai

I tried to put a few ghost shrimp in a 5gal with a Thai Crowntail Betta... apparently shirmp are in their scope of dinner plan.s