Fish Foods You Use, Tell Us About Them.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
With my pearsei Ive been experimenting with different “algae” foods. Decided to try these

1B52F706-C038-498E-B16D-0025A921776F.png
C9316E12-3696-45E9-B7B9-CA44862BAC8E.png
17E2BE65-8137-4D00-91EB-61CA8C85231C.jpeg
Like all the Fluval ‘bug’ based foods acceptance factor is very high. Something in its taste fish find appealing. The wafers are thin and can easily be snapped in half to feed smaller fishes. Not looking at this as a normal feed item but a treat. My pearsei has been acting like its not liking the Omega One wafers right now so this was just a test.

Ruturaj Hagavane

With my pearsei Ive been experimenting with different “algae” foods. Decided to try these

View attachment 9622
View attachment 9623
View attachment 9624
Like all the Fluval ‘bug’ based foods acceptance factor is very high. Something in its taste fish find appealing. The wafers are thin and can easily be snapped in half to feed smaller fishes. Not looking at this as a normal feed item but a treat. My pearsei has been acting like its not liking the Omega One wafers right now so this was just a test.

I used color enhancing formula for my community tank 2 years ago. Fish readily eat it for sure.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Okay I tried to say it nicely, but the topic discussion is veering off course with people needing to get last words in.

I decided it was time to say STOP IT. This is the official moderator step in.

The spirit of this thread was to share information to help each other out, to see options you may not have thought of or products you may have known about.

Modest_Man

I don't feed multiple days a week, and when I do feed it's once a day. When I leave on vacation the fish don't eat for a week, sometimes two. Fry do get fed more often, this is my adults.

I have done stomach analysis on fish found here in the Northwest and the most common item found in the stomach is nothing. Empty. I may not get explosive growth but I'm going for longevity, not mass.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I don't feed multiple days a week, and when I do feed it's once a day. When I leave on vacation the fish don't eat for a week, sometimes two. Fry do get fed more often, this is my adults.

I have done stomach analysis on fish found here in the Northwest and the most common item found in the stomach is nothing. Empty. I may not get explosive growth but I'm going for longevity, not mass.
I have cut back on feeding my bichirs to just a once a week feeding. I see these huge, fat polys that people are way over feeding. They look nothing like a typical wild caught fish that is sleek.

Ruturaj Hagavane

I have cut back on feeding my bichirs to just a once a week feeding. I see these huge, fat polys that people are way over feeding. They look nothing like a typical wild caught fish that is sleek.

Agree, most fish in aquarium hobby are way overfed. Our food is much more nutritionally dense than natural foods as they are dry foods.

Carnivores and omnivores don't eat very often. But some herbivores eat like 14 hours a day.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Agree, most fish in aquarium hobby are way overfed. Our food is much more nutritionally dense than natural foods as they are dry foods.

Carnivores and omnivores don't eat very often. But some herbivores eat like 14 hours a day.
I had tried to feed Hikari Massivore to my bichir and they loved it. But they put on a ton of weight with it. I hated my fat fish looking fish and finished up the bag and changed their diet. Sadly my old pearsei loved Massivore too along with any other high protein 'carnivore' pellets. I think this contributed to its prolapse. After switching to raw foods (fortified with Boyd's vitamins) for the bichirs, the pearsei wouldnt touch the raw tilapia, shrimp, squid, etc. and only ate the pellets meant just for it. but by that time the damage was done.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
I just received my order of new food that I will be trying out / mixing with my other stuff…. It appears to check all of the boxes I want, though the smell of the carnivore pellets is eerily similar to massavore so it may not be welcomed into my house ( my wife’s nose). Haha

I feed the large cichlid pellets today and also the carnivore sticks and both were readily accepted.

it will be interesting to see how fish grow and live with this new food mixed in……

E638AE52-0387-4C03-AEF4-BC6435136AE1.jpeg1417A877-289E-490F-98A1-5551C0A0CA94.jpeg5E6AB23C-0950-44B5-A5BC-5703140B1D34.jpegEFBF16FD-074B-4978-AB5E-0B177D0F7413.jpeg6E9225D2-8F5F-4818-9BFC-28BD40640232.jpegC03E0C5C-A7CD-45DC-97BB-625EA909C3C9.jpegB0B44F23-FDB9-4414-9259-901C892E702F.jpeg72A6FFA2-DD4B-4641-BB19-935457EF56DF.jpeg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone use SERA foods? I am looking at this for my Pearsei, it is designed for Herbivore Africans...
91ti3yPUnqL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Edit: Found an ingredient list in English... looks likes a lot of binders and filler with grain products. I saw some of their other stuff having like 27% spirulina, this has 10%.

Ingredients
fish meal, corn starch, wheat flour, spirulina (10%), wheat germ, brewers yeast, fish oil (containing 49% omega fatty acids), gammarus, wheat gluten, mannan oligosaccharides, krill, stinging nettle, herbs, alfalfa, parsley, green-lipped mussel, sea algae, paprika, spinach, carrots, Haematococcus algae, garlic.
Guaranteed analysis
Min. Crude Protein 37.9%, Min. Crude Fat 7.0%, Max. Crude Fiber 7.1%, Max. Moisture 6.0%, Max. Crude Ash 7.9%.
Additives
Vitamins and provitamins: Vit. A 16,800 IU/lb., Vit. D3 820 IU/lb., Vit. E (D, L-α-tocopheryl acetate) 54 IU/lb., Vit. B1 16 mg/lb., Vit. B2 41 mg/lb., Stabilized Vit. C (L-ascorbyl monophosphate) 250 mg/lb.

Last edited:

Ruturaj Hagavane

Anyone use SERA foods? I am looking at this for my Pearsei, it is designed for Herbivore Africans...
View attachment 9903
Edit: Found an ingredient list in English... looks likes a lot of binders and filler with grain products. I saw some of their other stuff having like 27% spirulina, this has 10%.

Ingredients
fish meal, corn starch, wheat flour, spirulina (10%), wheat germ, brewers yeast, fish oil (containing 49% omega fatty acids), gammarus, wheat gluten, mannan oligosaccharides, krill, stinging nettle, herbs, alfalfa, parsley, green-lipped mussel, sea algae, paprika, spinach, carrots, Haematococcus algae, garlic.
Guaranteed analysis
Min. Crude Protein 37.9%, Min. Crude Fat 7.0%, Max. Crude Fiber 7.1%, Max. Moisture 6.0%, Max. Crude Ash 7.9%.
Additives
Vitamins and provitamins: Vit. A 16,800 IU/lb., Vit. D3 820 IU/lb., Vit. E (D, L-α-tocopheryl acetate) 54 IU/lb., Vit. B1 16 mg/lb., Vit. B2 41 mg/lb., Stabilized Vit. C (L-ascorbyl monophosphate) 250 mg/lb.
Doesn't seem so good from ingredients. Lots of fillers in there.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
I fed this to my L104 colony and my BNP. My SD also enjoy it. I also feed Sera O-Nibs occasionally. My major complaint is that this manufacturer is rather proud of the products and charges accordingly. I tried SERA algae wafers and they would immediately disintegrate into a pile of mush.
1629997384248.png1629997470187.png

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I just bought a little box of this to try... a bit conflicting numbers but anywhere from 24%-27% spirulina algae in it. I figure I can try whole tabs for the pearsei
71YezWSyB0L._AC_SL1280_.jpg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I just opened up a new, larger can of the Fluval "Bug Bites" Algae crisps and this batch is very hard in comparison to the last. They are more cup shaped instead of flat and very hard to snap in half to feed. Flavor must still be good cause it didnt effect the way the pearsei went after them. But just one of those things that change from batch to batch.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Measuring out my food for the big tank. I use the pill boxes for regular feeding so I dont overfeed this way.
4412C12A-38A2-47A7-8555-45142A8DB2DE.jpeg

Madness

Staff member
I am constantly trying different foods but there is one brand I always have on my shelf and for the last 12 years it has been a main staple in my fishroom. My fish, old and new, take to it easily and quickly and I and they always look healthy and vibrant.. That food is Southern delight.

20210915_160048.jpg
New order arrived yesterday.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Going through my fish foods I need to reorder soon. I just couldn't see enough benefits of continuing to feed Dainichi at the moment. I decided to use the NLS float extra large for a while mixed in with the Hikari Excel and Omega One floating medium cichlid. I may use the Dainichi sinking since I cant really find a pellet I like in that size yet.

So I just ordered this to replace the Dainichi Color Supreme for now. May order the Dainichi again in the future but for now trying something else.
new-life-spectrum-naturox-series-float-extra-large-pellet-4-5-5mm-350g-by-new-life-spectrum.jpg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
My NLS Float came in and package change, no more canister but now in bags.
IMG_20211021_164701557.jpg
The ingredients list:
IMG_20211021_164650266.jpg
In years past the NLS formulas would cause the fish waste to come out red and even filter sponges turned red because of it. The new NLS formulas dont do this. I really like this size pellet at about 4.5-5mm for my bigger fish, but not too big that they grind it all up.