Fish Foods You Use, Tell Us About Them.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
@lloyd378, Just got in my order of Dr. Bassler's Aloe XL. Mine was from Amazon via Ken's and came in a plastic bag, no tape. I see what you were saying about pellet size. The XL is not anything like what I would compare that to in pretty much every other brand out there. Others would call it small. I notice the stuff sank quickly, so most of the fish had no clue what it was. The cories got the majority of that first feeding.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
@lloyd378, Just got in my order of Dr. Bassler's Aloe XL. Mine was from Amazon via Ken's and came in a plastic bag, no tape. I see what you were saying about pellet size. The XL is not anything like what I would compare that to in pretty much every other brand out there. Others would call it small. I notice the stuff sank quickly, so most of the fish had no clue what it was. The cories got the majority of that first feeding.
Yea, I feed the large size to my angels and cory cats and the xl size goes to my shellies. Xxl for my smaller cichlids in the 4” range. Need to find a place that sells the 3xl size

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
The XL is a bit big for the monk tetras and platies but they are eating it, the gouramis and cories seem to love it. I do not like the fact this stuff sinks like a rock, not even a moment of being on the water surface due to surface tension. The fish are fast but not fast enough to catch it before it hits the bottom. I could see potential issue of wasted food if you used a larger gravel since this stuff would be in it within seconds. On my sand no issues since the cories and pleco can get it.

As to the 3XL, Ive only it available on Amazon Germany with no shipping to the US. Since its a European product it makes sense that it would be available there first.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
I go through hikari carnivore so fast because of the stingrays- I wish there was a cheaper alternative. 2.2 lbs and they go through at least 2 bags a month...
I used to use this for my bichirs ... man that food stinks if they don’t eat it immediately! My wife banned it from any “in house” tanks and dislikes it when I use it in the garage tanks too. Haha

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I go through hikari carnivore so fast because of the stingrays- I wish there was a cheaper alternative. 2.2 lbs and they go through at least 2 bags a month...
I used to use this for my bichirs ... man that food stinks if they don’t eat it immediately! My wife banned it from any “in house” tanks and dislikes it when I use it in the garage tanks too. Haha
Ive use this stuff in the past along with Massivore Delight and yep expensive and makes water smell. The acceptance factor is so high with this food and it really does put weight on skinny fish that it can be worth using in the beginning. Ive tried other "carnivore" pellets from Tropical and NorthFin and nowhere near the acceptance factor in them. I think one of the issues is texture, with the Hikari being softer and the other brands like little stones. Hard to get fish off this 'Crack' food once you start.

Orthopod

Ive use this stuff in the past along with Massivore Delight and yep expensive and makes water smell. The acceptance factor is so high with this food and it really does put weight on skinny fish that it can be worth using in the beginning. Ive tried other "carnivore" pellets from Tropical and NorthFin and nowhere near the acceptance factor in them. I think one of the issues is texture, with the Hikari being softer and the other brands like little stones. Hard to get fish off this 'Crack' food once you start.
Yep it stinks, costs $60 a bag but the rays love it and grow like weeds on it. I supplement their diet with market shrimp but it’s much easier than thawing and cutting up a bowl Or 2 of shrimp 2 times a day.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I had some older pics of the Fluval Bug Bites that I had not posted
IMG_20170522_180717654.jpg
Pretty decent sized stuff if you are dealing with larger fishes.
IMG_20170522_180754164.jpg

Madness

Staff member
Ordered up some new food made here in the US, it is called Your Fish Stuff. Offered in 1mm and 3mm for most pellets, has flakes, freeze dried, crumbles and larger pellets on some flavors.

RED SUPREME
Red supreme.PNG
GREEN SUPREME

Green supreme.PNG
CICHLID SUPREME

cichlid feed.PNG
CARNIVORE STICKS

Carnivor sticks.PNG
BLACK SOLDIER FLY

Black soldier fly.PNGYour fish stuff.PNG

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Bringing the fish food thread back to life since I am dealing with a large vegetarian again. In the past had used algae wafers but looking for a vegi based floating pellet in about a 5mm+ size. Have not really found one yet. Seems fish food companies all think that a 2-3mm pellet is fine for a 16” fish. Trying to be very careful with diet on this fish since my last one developed prolapse.

Last edited:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Being the NLS freak that I am ill suggest

The NLS Algaemax mini wafer is one of the foods I want to use. Its perfect for larger fish. I could use one of the ‘float’ products but was really wanting more vegi based food in a floating pellet.

I was going to mention too that my last pearsei developed the ‘chin pimple’ like you see in Oscars from eating sinking pellets off the bottom. The abrasive nature of the sand irritating the flesh caused it. So I am looking for a floating pellet in particular that has a higher vegi base to it.

Last edited:

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
The NLS Algaemax mini wafer is one of the foods I want to use. Its perfect for larger fish. I could use one of the ‘float’ products but was really wanting more vegi based food in a floating pellet.

I was going to mention too that my last pearsei developed the ‘chin pimple’ like you see in Oscars from eating sinking pellets off the bottom. The abrasive nature of the sand irritating the flesh caused it. So I am looking for a floating pellet in particular that has a higher vegi base to it.
Check out the Repashy options. There are a couple of vegetarian selections.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Check out the Repashy options. There are a couple of vegetarian selections.
Would any of them float? The eating sinking foods off the bottom was the issue. Didnt want another “chin pimple” fish. It did go away with time but was hoping not to have to go down the path.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Would any of them float? The eating sinking foods off the bottom was the issue. Didnt want another “chin pimple” fish. It did go away with time but was hoping not to have to go down the path.
It does sink but when I would feed the Repashy to either the Choco or H.N. the cubes didn't ever make it to the bottom. The other nicety to Repashy is getting to custom size the cubes to the fish.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
It does sink but when I would feed the Repashy to either the Choco or H.N. the cubes didn't ever make it to the bottom. The other nicety to Repashy is getting to custom size the cubes to the fish.
That was the same feeding the Omega One Veggie Rounds with the old pearsei not letting it hit bottom. Was fun to feed as a treat spending a little one on one with the fish.

I had forgotten about Hikari Cichlid Excel. It comes in a ‘medium’ sized pellet, designed for herbivores and floats.
FF45833A-4B99-4675-BDE5-129C842477C3.jpeg
I just am not sure on the ingredients… I have a love/hate relationship with Hikari.

Might just use the NLS float as a staple, with algaemax thrown in. But during the skinny phase in this fish, I do still have my Dainichi I can use too.

Modest_Man

I like to rip on Ken's food but their Veggie sticks are pretty good, through they do sink. No idea why they feel the need for artificial coloring.

Ingredients: Mixture Of Plants And Vegetables Including: Seaweed, Spirulina, Carrots, Squash, Spinach. Vegetable Oils, Soy Meal, Yeast, Wheat Flour, Vitamin & Mineral Supplement. Asorbic Acid (Source Of Vitamin C). Natural And Some Artificial Coloring. Dried Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Product, Dried Bacillus Licheniformis Fermentation

Guaranteed Analysis: Crude Protein 35.0% Min., Crude Fat 7.0% Min., Crude Fiber 7.0% Max., Moisture 8.0% Max., All Natural Ingredients, Except For Some Artificial Coloring. No Preservatives

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Have you ever tried to get the big guys to eat raw vegetables? I train all my Tropheus colonies to eat leaves of Romain lettuce, and I'm convinced that all that roughage is one reason that I have been so successful with these fishes over the years. Eating the lettuce is nothing like their foraging behaviour in the wild, but once they get the hang of it, they love it. :)

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Have you ever tried to get the big guys to eat raw vegetables? I train all my Tropheus colonies to eat leaves of Romain lettuce, and I'm convinced that all that roughage is one reason that I have been so successful with these fishes over the years. Eating the lettuce is nothing like their foraging behaviour in the wild, but once they get the hang of it, they love it. :)
I did shelled peas as a treat every now and then. I heard of one guy going through a head of Romain a week for this Pearsei. What is their preferred dressing? Is Caesar dressing okay, it does have anchovy paste so that helps.... :rofl

@Modest_Man, yeah I have to agree, why add coloring?

I had this same issue years ago when I had the big pearsei, finding a nice medium/large floating veggie based pellet was pretty much impossible.

Very interesting that I was also looking for NLS Float in the extra large size (4.5MM) which is a good size for these big fish and its not available. Showing as 'discontinued' on multiple sites. This was going to be my go to pellet since I could not find the veggie floating pellet I wanted.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Saw that Tropical makes a medium floating food for herbivore
0C111EBF-2207-435A-8B4E-9C20EC8D79E8.png

Ingredients: derivatives of vegetable origin, cereals, vegetable protein extracts, algae (Spirulina platensis min. 3%), molluscs and crustaceans, fish and fish derivatives, yeasts, oils and fats, minerals (including zeolite 1%). Additives (per kg): Vitamins, pro-vitamins and chemically well-defined substances having similar effect: vit. A 28 000 IU, vit. D3 1 800 IU, vit. E 90 mg, vit. C 250 mg. Compounds of trace elements: E1 (Fe) 36.0 mg, E6 (Zn) 10.0 mg, E5 (Mn) 7.5 mg, E4 (Cu) 1.8 mg, E2 (I) 0.21 mg, E8 (Se) 0.21 mg, E7 (Mo) 0.05 mg. Colourants. Antioxidants.

Analytical constituents: crude protein 40.0%, crude oils and fats 4.0%, crude fibres 4.0%, moisture 8.0%