Fish Foods You Use, Tell Us About Them.

hyp3rcrav3

I uses mixed flakes, vegetable flakes and spirulina flakes, all from Kens Fish (great stuff, veggie flakes are probiotic). I use Hikari Cichlid foods Excel, Gold (sinking and floating), and Staple. I also use Omega One algae wafers, Wardley Shrimp Pellets, Zoo Med Laboratories Aquatic Shrimp Food, New Life Spectrum mini sinking pellets, and "California Blackworm" freeze dried tubifex worms (I am not sure company still exists). I usually buy in bulk. I also feed frozen blood worms and brine shrimp. Most of my fish get variety to make sure they have what they need.

Only the best.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Not recommending this product line, just saw it on Amazon. Very similar to Cobalt’s “Ultra” foods. Dont like the use of corn but some of the other ingredients and percentages are good.

Did not have a actual ingredients list posted… this is probably one of those too good to be true products.

C7D296AF-F45F-47DF-B675-D2E0950EA31D.png
42EBEEAF-443D-4869-AE8F-9350F60D5A33.jpeg68507954-B36A-4974-BDE1-D91A11D9CAD2.jpeg6D5B524A-F732-4702-A55C-A7BBCD3708B3.jpeg93E99AC4-7350-4545-8C69-FA7FA22015B8.jpeg9148B878-DC0D-408D-A34F-5E74EDEA4680.jpeg

Last edited:

hyp3rcrav3

Not recommending this product line, just saw it on Amazon. Very similar to Cobalt’s “Ultra” foods. Dont like the use of corn but some of the other ingredients and percentages are good.

Did not have a actual ingredients list posted… this is probably one of those too good to be true products.

View attachment 10368
View attachment 10371View attachment 10370View attachment 10372View attachment 10373View attachment 10374
Before I got rid of the pacu rescue, I used to feed it corn as a means of bulking up her food supplies. Silver dollars eat it too as well as the Synodontis surprisingly, but now I don't feed it to them except as a lark. I imagine all of the South American vegetarians benefit from corn.

hyp3rcrav3

I uses mixed flakes, vegetable flakes and spirulina flakes, all from Kens Fish (great stuff, veggie flakes are probiotic). I use Hikari Cichlid foods Excel, Gold (sinking and floating), and Staple. I also use Omega One algae wafers, Wardley Shrimp Pellets, Zoo Med Laboratories Aquatic Shrimp Food, New Life Spectrum mini sinking pellets, and "California Blackworm" freeze dried tubifex worms (I am not sure company still exists). I usually buy in bulk. I also feed frozen blood worms and brine shrimp. Most of my fish get variety to make sure they have what they need.

Only the best.
I forgot one thing that I occasionally feed my common pleco in the big tank, Zoo Med Laboratories Pleco Banquet Block. It's something the other fish don't steal. I also feed all of the plecos in the house zucchini and yams.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
I finally got around to ordering the NLS AlgaeMax pellets. The add showed the product container as a bucket but it showed up in a bag. It's a good mix of seaweed and other macro algaes and proteins. This the large pellet meaning 3-3.5mm.

PXL_20211108_002238636.jpgPXL_20211108_002055605.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I finally got around to ordering the MLS AlgaeMax pellets. The add showed the product container as a bucket but it showed up in a bag. It's a good mix of seaweed and other macro algaes and proteins. This the large pellet meaning 3-3.5mm.
My last batch of float came in a bag instead of a plastic canister. This is apparently a new package form for them.

I also wanted to update a bit on some SERA tablets I recently got.
IMG_20210901_204542276.jpg
These appeared as if they would be hard tablets but they easily break apart in your fingers. I have used these to feed some of the community fishes and plecos. Not going to buy or use long term but fish seem to readily accept it.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
My last batch of float came in a bag instead of a plastic canister. This is apparently a new package form for them.

I also wanted to update a bit on some SERA tablets I recently got.
View attachment 10593
These appeared as if they would be hard tablets but they easily break apart in your fingers. I have used these to feed some of the community fishes and plecos. Not going to buy or use long term but fish seem to readily accept it.
I ran into the same problem with some Sera Algae tabs I had purchased. They almost immediately fell apart when dropped into a tank.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I ran into the same problem with some Sera Algae tabs I had purchased. They almost immediately fell apart when dropped into a tank.
I think the cories, and hoplo made quick work of the stuff I crumbled up for them. Im not sure how the big pleco did, if he got enough of it before it fell apart.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
New NLS product: New Life Spectrum Insectum
258E3EE1-B071-442B-88BF-A1F6D3A10ED1.png
I guess they couldn’t let Fluval and then Northfin get all the credit for bug based foods, lol.

Product Description
Well suited for a wide variety of fish New Life Spectrum Insectumis a high quality daily food source that contains 5 different insect proteins from mealworms, silkworm pupa, black soldier larvae, crickets and grasshoppers. The protein rich 3 - 3.5 mm pellets are packed full of essential vitamins, nutrients and amino acids that ensure your favourite fish friend is kept healthy and happy. Contains whole antarctic krill, fish oil and includes highly nutritious moringa leaf, which is a brilliant source of vitamin A, vitamin D, calcium, potassium, protein and five antioxidants. The formula is soy free for optimal health.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Brought in the 5x G. Braselius ( spelling?) and the 1x blue sev to my larger classroom tank to go with my two baby Oscar’s. Obviously these aren’t going to be in this tank long term as they will all outgrow it, but it’s a cool mix for now and up till spring break.
I’d still like to grab some guppies for my 20g planted tank I have in the other corner of my classroom. You will have to zoom in on the fish tank to see any of the fish….

View attachment 11034
G. brasiliensis.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting read: https://edgepoint.com/case_study/omega-sea/

Nothing to do with nutrition but I had not realized that Omega Sea sold the business to Spectrum Holdings. This once independent company is now part of Spectrum which owns Tetra, Whisper, Marineland, Perfecto, Jungle, Instant Ocean, Visi-Therm…

I was actually looking to see why Omega One foods are in such short supply everywhere and saw that. I almost feel as if they are going through a package change soon and trying to close out all plastic container and may do resealable bags soon. Just a speculation.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Bought a new food to try out
D3EC0C6B-5A62-4A93-8A21-987A06886F87.jpegAC7E847B-9728-480C-A1B6-C7FE04C9C9D3.jpeg
I added it to my mix I feed the pearsei. Its a bit on the small side so Im not sure if the fish will continue taking it when its an adult but I should be able to at least finish off this ‘tub’ before then.

Ingredients
fish meal, corn starch, wheat flour, spirulina (10%), wheat germ, brewers yeast, fish oil (containing 49% omega fatty acids), gammarus, wheat gluten, mannan oligosaccharides, krill, stinging nettle, herbs, alfalfa, parsley, green-lipped mussel, sea algae, paprika, spinach, carrots, Haematococcus algae, garlic.
Guaranteed analysis
Min. Crude Protein 37.9%, Min. Crude Fat 7.0%, Max. Crude Fiber 7.1%, Max. Moisture 6.0%, Max. Crude Ash 7.9%.
Additives
Vitamins and provitamins: Vit. A 16,800 IU/lb., Vit. D3 820 IU/lb., Vit. E (D, L-α-tocopheryl acetate) 54 IU/lb., Vit. B1 16 mg/lb., Vit. B2 41 mg/lb., Stabilized Vit. C (L-ascorbyl monophosphate) 250 mg/lb.

Last edited:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Just got an email from Aqueon of a new product line of foods called 'Nutinsect'

Granted this is the Betta formula information but they really want to tout the fact there is no fish, fish meal or fish oils used in the product that its 100% fish free but it still has shrimp, shrimp meal and krill oil. Also the first ingredient is ground peas... Not impressed with this ingredient list.
100546882_AQE_FOOD_NUTRINSECT_BETA_PLT_1_41OZ_12IP_PK_RightPanel.jpg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Update: So I fed the new Your Fish Stuff 'Wonder Worms' and it was readily accepted and all seemed to have got ate... BUT the next day my wife commented that the garage tanks smelled funny. Granted I didnt smell it and it was not like the stank that Hikari Massivore can create but apparently weird enough for the wife to comment on. Not sure what ingredient would cause the stench but the wife's super sniffer gave it a thumbs down...

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Update: So I fed the new Your Fish Stuff 'Wonder Worms' and it was readily accepted and all seemed to have got ate... BUT the next day my wife commented that the garage tanks smelled funny. Granted I didnt smell it and it was not like the stank that Hikari Massivore can create but apparently weird enough for the wife to comment on. Not sure what ingredient would cause the stench but the wife's super sniffer gave it a thumbs down...
Those are the same rules we abide by in my house, haha

No stinky foods.