Evolution of a nano 9.5 gallon long

A

Anonymous

Re: Evolution of a nano 9.5 gallon long

DMD123 said:
Love the old retro tank!
Thank you DMD123! This was a $7 garage sale find and 1st reseal job. Put a bunch of work into it, that's one reason I am so determined to make something work in this thing!

LuminousAphid

Looks really good, those clean rocks almost give it a reef look--for now. In my experience with rough stone it will slowly age and get darker, and will probably start growing some algae... mine grew some bba but my little siamese algae eater takes care of it. Is it seiryu stone? Here's what my seiryu stone looks like after a few months;

NrcfLRF.jpg

jF42WCr.jpg

You might ask Roy about what he does with his stones, he posted something a while back about getting the quartz and grain to stand out in seiryu stones with some kind of treatment. It might turn out looking better than mine

cichlid-gal

Roy wrote an article for the GSAS newsletter called Darkening Seiryu Stones....February 2014, page 5 for those that have access.

A

Anonymous

@LuminousAphid, Yes they are Seiryu stone. I would be okay with them darkening just no algae for a while please. This tank has seen enough... lol!  All these plants were in this tank when it was all nasty. The fern looking pretty bad and was beginning to brown.  I cleaned off as much as I could and clipped the browning leaves before putting the plants back into this tank. Right now all the remaining algae is turning brown and dying which I am relieved to see.

cichlid-gal said:
Roy wrote an article for the GSAS newsletter called Darkening Seiryu Stones....February 2014, page 5 for those that have access.
I do remember that article. I think that look would be awesome  in this aquascape against the light sand. You have an awesome memory. If I would have thought of that I may have choose to try it!

A

Anonymous

UPDATE:

1st, I want to thank all for their time providing  information while I was making decisions on the type of fish I was going to add to this tank. I want to thank the few I have been PMing, and texting for bearing with me while I was being wishy washy, LOL (you know who you are ;) ). Was a tough decision. I don't know anything about African cichlids and this was a spontaneous decision... I am starting to really like African Cichlids and the Frontosa species is calling my name, LOL.

My 1st African cichlid tank.

[/URL

The fish and shells came from TheFishPimp. He has an awesome place and is a super cool dude. Thank you TFP! These originally came from FishLoverRon which is cool because his colony was the 1st Multi colony I've ever seen at his home and it sparked my interest. So it's funny how things work out.

dwarfpike

How's the algae been? Back wall looks thick in the pics. I know it's a concern with that tank.

Anthraxx

LOVE IT! seriously, those shells are really nice too. good mix of escargot, gold mouth turbos, whale/shark eyes. id work that back glass algae personally, but leave it on all rocks and shells. its a really nice look to have the shells looking all grungy like they do in the wild.

A

Anonymous

Thanks guys!

This wasn't suppose to be a 'planted' tank. I guess the pull was automatic. Before I knew it there was 2 plants and moss?!?! Guess I cannot control myself... That being said, no algae developed until I put just a weeeeee bit of Excell in (DOH) ... I - WILL - NOT - FERT!

There is a small pleco in there. So I left the algae incase he wanted some food. But eventually I will clean it up :)

dwarfpike

I don't blame you with the plants, even when I did a full on blackwater tank ... it just didn't look right without a little green in there despite the lack of it in the biotope I was doing.

hose91

Looks fantastic, great job, and glad to hear that your foray into Tang Cichlids is off to such a great start!! That's a sweet little tank that should age very nicely as the multies colonize and the plants grow in.

A

Anonymous

Anthraxx said:
LOVE IT! seriously, those shells are really nice too. good mix of escargot, gold mouth turbos, whale/shark eyes. id work that back glass algae personally, but leave it on all rocks and shells. its a really nice look to have the shells looking all grungy like they do in the wild.
TFP was generous and upped the shell quantity from 10 to 20 which I am greatfull. He totally set me up.

cichlid-gal said:
Glad you are enjoying your new group.   :clap: 
Yeah they are awesome. I was concerned because the water they came out of had a PH 9 and was really hard. There was no way I could come close to that. I slowly acclimated them to my 7.8. They got comfortable quick, now swimming all around and ate up their dinner like champs.

Also got 3 adult Aussi rainbows to hold onto until I find a permanent home. Put them In My 140. After they colored up I realized how much I dig these type fish. In this 140 I once had a community of various types of large rainbows and barbs with a school of Congo Tetra. Was a beautiful set up...

A

Anonymous

hose91 said:
Looks fantastic, great job, and glad to hear that your foray into Tang Cichlids is off to such a great start!!  That's a sweet little tank that should age very nicely as the multies colonize and the plants grow in.  
Thank you hose91!

MRTom

Looks like a great start! Love those little multis. And the shell covered bottom makes for a very nice looking arrangement.

What kind of light are you running on there? Is that a finnex clip on? I was thinking this would be a nice darker light tank. The shells and the rocks look like they would be really interesting with some more shadows casting, and that might help with the algae control too.

A

Anonymous

MRTom said:
Looks like a great start! Love those little multis. And the shell covered bottom makes for a very nice looking arrangement.

What kind of light are you running on there? Is that a finnex clip on? I was thinking this would be a nice darker light tank. The shells and the rocks look like they would be really interesting with some more shadows casting, and that might help with the algae control too.
Yes the light is a Finnex Planted+ clip on. I've noticed during the summer months the tank gets a lot of natural light in the A.M. (not direct). So the timer is set to come on after 12pm. I'll share a picture.

The African fern in the tank is a mini form. As it grows I will clip the longer leaves toward the bottom of the tank and alow it to create a type canvas by alowing the plant to fill out more toward the top of the rock towers. Hopefully the mosses will fill in spaces between my clipping forming a moss mat with fern leaves sporadically poking out. This will take time but I was hoping that would reduce the amount of light that reaches the lower levels of the tank thus minimizing algae growth.

Natural light.

Maybe I should just not run a light at all . Or just switch it on much later in the day. Like maybe around 7 PM for a couple hours for evening viewing? If Algaes become out of control I may choose to do that...

MRTom

I like your approach, see where the algae goes. I do the 7pm thing myself so that I can see the tanks when I am home and it works well on most of them :)

A

Anonymous

Journal update: near a month in and no algae issues, YAY!

I am liking their little social community. They swim at all levels (it is a small tank), when I come around the corner they all dart into their shells. If I stay still they will all come out within seconds. All active eaters except one big male that's a bit shy but he's still comes out. He has the giant sand mound on the far right with his shell near all the way buried.

cichlid-gal

Very cool looking little shellie tank. I like the mosses. Did you buffer for PH to get it higher? If so, the plants don't seem to have minded the change.

A

Anonymous

cichlid-gal said:
Very cool looking little shellie tank.  I like the mosses.  Did you buffer for PH to get it higher?  If so, the plants don't seem to have minded the change.
Not much buffering Donna. I've read a lot on this species and talking with other members it seemed like the best choice not to mess with paramiters. I do have a little bit of crushed coral in the filter from when the tank was planted with other fish. I just left it in there.

Anthraxx

i REALLY like that tank. coming together very nicely. the plants and those high rocks definitely look great and provide structure so they will swim around more. keep the pics coming