Evolution of a nano 9.5 gallon long

pbmax

Re: Evolution of a nano 9.5 gallon long

bronzefighter said:
The API one liquid one? Might want to check the expiration dates on the various reagents, just an fyi.
 :iagree:  I've had some of the reagents go bad on me in the past.

A

Anonymous

bronzefighter said:
The API one liquid one? Might want to check the expiration dates on the various reagents, just an fyi. anyways, any possible source of excess nutrients, intentional or not? fert dosing, weird substrate additions?
HMM. No expiration date found.... It's my very 1st test kit and about 6years old... Is that old?

pbmax said:
bronzefighter said:
The API one liquid one? Might want to check the expiration dates on the various reagents, just an fyi.
 :iagree:  I've had some of the reagents go bad on me in the past.
Ugh.

Is there something better to test with out there I maybe interested in picking up?

pbmax

Not in my experience...

The newer ones have dates on them, I think. :)

A

Anonymous

Okay. Ill go check out a new master test kit and see the time span on the date is. Thanks guys!!

pbmax said:
Not in my experience...

The newer ones have dates on them, I think. :)
From the Mars Fishcare (owners of API):

''Your question is one that we always welcome. All test kits have a shelf life in which the chemicals degrade. No competitor can say that a test kit will read correctly forever.

Mars Fishcare is the industry leader in testing without exception. Many of our solutions are used for both freshwater and saltwater testing while some are designed exclusively for freshwater. Many of our reagent bottles are used in various kits under API and PondCare brands. In some situations you will notice that two color charts are provided one for freshwater and one for saltwater while other kits have one color chart for both. The need for two color charts is based on chemistry. However you can read the lot number on any kit and determine the manufacturing date. The last four digits represent the month and year of production. So 26a1007 would be produced in October 2007.

Our determined expiration dates are established under extreme conditions. The test kits expiration dates are first established under constant conditions of 40 degree Celsius with 75% humidity for an extended period of time. Our retention samples, which we have for five years of every batch of every product that we make, are also kept in a room with elevated temperatures. This ensures that if the test kits or water conditioners are kept under less extreme conditions that they may exceed our established expiration dating but we suggest following the recommended expiration dating listed below. Some retailers feel using worst case conditions are too conservative, we do not. Some retailers and distributors of our products continue to insist that expiration dates not be placed on the product for this reason. We continue to evaluate this and requests like yours helps us to guide our decisions in the future, for this I thank you.

Test Solutions Expiration Date

PondCare Wide Range pH Test Solution - 3 Years
Ammonia Test Solution # 1 - 3 Years
Ammonia Test Solution # 2 - 3 Years
High Range pH Indicator Solution - 3 Years
Nitrate Test Solution # 1 - 3 Years
Nitrate Test Solution # 2 - 3 years
GH Test Solution - 3 Years
Calcium Test Solution #1 - 3 Years
Calcium Test Solution #2 - 3 Years
Phosphate Test Solution #1 - 3 Years
Phosphate Test Solution #2 - 3 Years
Copper Test Solution - 3 Years
KH Test Solution - 4 Years
Nitrite Test Solution - 4 Years
Fresh Water pH Indicator Solution - 5 Years

Anyways, I would just get either a new Master test kit, or even the quick dip strips. Some people hate them, but they seem easy enough to use, and are accurate enouigh for me.

A

Anonymous

:spoton: Awesome bronzefighter. I'll definitely invest in another kit. I'll check out the strips too. I appreciate you posting the info!

pbmax

My master test kit reagent bottles don't have expiration dates on them; I bought the kit about 4.5 years ago. My newer GH/KH and phosphate test kits, on the other hand (also API) do.

That's good info, bronzefighter!

pbmax said:
My master test kit reagent bottles don't have expiration dates on them; I bought the kit about 4.5 years ago.  My newer GH/KH and phosphate test kits, on the other hand (also API) do.

That's good info, bronzefighter!
Thanks! I found it after almost buying an old API kit on sale, but then I thought back to all the reagents that i use in my lab, and how many of those have expiration dates...etc etc. Anyways, I thought it was just useful info!

A

Anonymous

dwarfpike said:
Could also go with a digital one as well.
D I G I T A L ? Hold the preSs - got some researching to do.

dwarfpike

They are very nice, a little spendy, and have to center them with distilled water every so often.

A

Anonymous

Most are aware of the trouble I have been having with this tank. At one time this tank was looking pretty good in my opinion.

Nearly a year of unstable water parameters, never ending algae. I am at my wits end with this fish death trap.

One more try...

During the break down.

Total brake down. New substrate, a neutral sand. New light is a small fixture from Finnex. Little 10 " planted +. Removed all the woods in the tank. Replaced them with stones. Glued Anubias petite, and a mini form of African fern onto the stones.

Going to wait a few days testing parameters before adding fish.  I am thinking the new rocks and substrate will keep parameters more stable.

Still debating on the type of fish but pretty set on a species of shell dwelling fish.

Any input appreciated. Mind is still open to stocking possibilities. PH is still neutral until I know exactly what will be stocked.

Anthraxx

that is going to be one awesome shellie tank. personally id say get multies, similis, or any species of brevis. you may even be able to get a small group of dither. as for ph id stick with whatever you got. even if you get africans i wouldnt worry about the ph. it tends to get you into trouble as far as africans go. our water is alright most of the year and ive never altered ph myself. GL to ya but as i said, this will be awesome for shellies. just pick up some escargot shells, a lot of high end grocery places sell them, i go to cost plus world market for them myself.

on a side note: what kind of glue did you use for plants? i really hate rubber bands and they never seem to work for me anyways, i ask because im actively setting up a similar tank to your own :)

A

Anonymous

SiRWesDragon said:
Thanks Wes.

PokeSephiroth said:
Looks great! Stocking: 1 giant clown loach  :lol!: 
Could you imagine... To bad there isn't a dwarf type Peacock Bass, lol.

Anthraxx said:
what kind of glue did you use for plants? i really hate rubber bands and they never seem to work for me anyways, i ask because im actively setting up a similar tank to your own :)
Thanks Anthraxx. I appreciate all your input in both my threads on this subject. At lunch today I'll start hunting for escargot shells .
The glue used is super glue.

cichlid-gal

I really like the look of this tank Chad.  I found on my smaller tank (the Eheim I had set up) I had to keep the lights on less on it and do water changes a little more often.  When I did them once a week by the weeks end my nitrate count was up so often I would throw in a smaller change in the middle of the week.  I had fry in the tank though so I was feeding a little more often too.  Doing your testing and keeping your water parameters in check will help with the algea issue and watching the amount of light the tank gets also.  

I can't wait to see the final stocking on the tank.

A

Anonymous

Thank you Donna. This new light is much smaller than what I was using. The way it's attached it's also higher. I am impressed with the light though. It's brighter than I thought it would be. Perfect illumination if you ask me. It has planted tank spectrum so it should be okay for these lower light plants.

The tank gets natural light (not direct) so I got the timer set to click on around noon. I'll definitely keep a close eye and make adjustments as needed.

Water changes in this tank is pretty simple. If I have to up changes to 2x per week I am okay with that. I just want it to look nice.

dwarfpike

I told you all the effort would be worth it, looks great. The colors of the escargot shells would look good against the rocks and plants as well.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III

Love the old retro tank!