Evolution of a 140 gallon long II

Here is Cory describing the super glue approach: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlwLgUyRVpc. It has "gone mainstream" and Seachem even sells it now: http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/FlourishGlue.html. Saltwater people have done this this to glue frag corals to rocks for years. I used "super glue" brand first, but I now like Loctite because their applicator is convenient for squeezing out tiny amounts of glue (you don't need much).

fishNAbowl, I'm jealous of your tank! I only have space for a 3 foot tank. How is the noise with the overflow? I've been toying with using a sump, more because I'm a gear junkie than for any strong need. I'm worried about noise.

A

Anonymous

MattArmstrong said:
fishNAbowl, I'm jealous of your tank! I only have space for a 3 foot tank. How is the noise with the overflow? I've been toying with using a sump, more because I'm a gear junkie than for any strong need. I'm worried about noise.
I've DYI'd the system to be pretty quite. I was taken back by 2 local members that visited this last year tell me it was super quite compared to thier systems. Really all you can hear is the slight hum of the pump. The stand is open (no doors), so I suppose with doors it would be even more quiet. Sometimes the AC70 running the 29 gallon next to the main 140 pump makes more noise, lol. I installed a spray bar so I can hear a bit of water splashing now. It's not bad though.

Some tricks of the trade -

Rubber mat under pump.
Air tube down water intake pipes (4-5") - stops gurgling.
A top for the overflow box muffles water movement noise.
Throw your towel over sump for storage helps muffle water movement noise.

A

Anonymous

Jungle tank update:

New piece of twisty root wood. Anubias gold, bolbitis small form and Java fern trident.

Current photo. Recent changes include plugs of dwarf hair grass and a 2' Planted plus above the new ground cover.

flamechica

Looks great! Can't wait until one day when I have that much plant growth. Although....my 7g tank is starting to look like a jungle....LOL! I need to get another tank set up so I can move some plants or something. It's the tank with the best light and not being medicated, so the plants are growing like crazy. I am pretty proud of it's progress, but it's getting pretty crazy in there.