Evolution of a 140 gallon long II

A

Anonymous

cichlid-gal said:
Wow...looking awsome Chad.  Everything is beautiful.  Great looking planted tank.  I love the positioning of your red plants in the layout.  
Still a work in progress. As plants mature I am still moving things around a bit. Thank you :D

A

Anonymous

Background plant switch out. Pulled out all Rotala rotundifolia and replaced with Hygrophila corymbosa var Angustifolia and Sawtooth Hygrophila.

Shout out to AquariumCoop for having the large hygrophila for this tank. I was able to plant the whole background with one large plant they had. Thanks Cory!

A

Anonymous

anthony said:
Not a plant guy but when I see a tank like this I wonder why I'm not. That tank looks great!!
Thank all for their input :) Tank is constantly changing over the years. That's why I begun this journal to keep track of plant names, progress, ect. I wish the original thread would have made it over when the format of the website changed.

@ anthony, planted tanks brings a new element to the hobby. A new learning curve which one can focus little on and have success or go all out. If you ever change your mind and want to try stuffing a plant in one of your tanks let me know. I throw away more plants than give away :)

Betty

Staff member
fishNAbowl said:
Thank all for their input :) Tank is constantly changing over the years. That's why I begun this journal to keep track of plant names, progress, ect. I wish the original thread would have made it over when the format of the website changed.
FishNAbowl, is this the original thread? Evolution of a 140 gallon long.

Tank is looking great. :)

A

Anonymous

Wow betty, you found it. On the 1st page of this thread I had a link to the original I 1st started under an old profile. After the transition to the new format that link no longer worked. I embedded the link you provided on page 1 and it works now. Thank you :) , and thank you for the kind words.

A

Anonymous

The sump hoses I used to install the CPR 1600GPH duel line overflow on my 7 foot tank 3 years ago recently began leaking. I patched it in one spot, one leak was over the sump, then it sprung another all in about 3 weeks. The hose was "made for sumps " but probably for outside purging. Was made from plastic with very thin walls. This cost cut wasn't a good choice, ugh...

4 hours 5 beers later I have reversed the input/output in the tank (probably confused the fish, haha). Now the overflow is directly over the sump shortening the hoses. I also used heavier hoses designed for pools and hot tubs made from rubber.

While I was it, I decided to make and try out a spray bar. So far it works well. Watching current and plant movement I opted not to reinstall 2 powerheads/circulation pumps I had running before. Think I got lucky on hole diameters because it is an even spray and I am able to use full output of the 1200GPH return pump. Although I do have it turned down to about 80% now.

One cool thing (and what I was hoping for) is that this creates a nice strong current at the surface from one end of the tank to the other. After removing all the Red root floaters from this tank Duck weed quickly took its place. With the old set up this floating plant grew everywhere shading out plants. With the current the plant is getting shoved to one end where I can collect it. With any luck the plant won't like the current and fade back only growing in small spots.

A

Anonymous

Sorry lloyd378, I didn't snap any photos of the process. Guess I could have but figured it was pretty basic PVC assembly. Thought I had line-loc and was going to reinstall that but couldn't find it. I must have given it away at some point.

Usually a project like this takes a few times going back to the drawing board but got lucky with the spray bar. I tried to do some math in the attempt that all the holes in the bar would equal the diameter of the PVC pipe. I also stepped up the hole diamiters. Smallest hole at the base moving to larger holes towards the end. I also made the holes oblong and at an angle. Seems all this came together to make a nice even type stream. It was impressive to see plants on the forground moving from the current. And the fish seem to move naturally unless they are right at the surface near the bar. The smaller tetra seem to like swimming into it.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Yeah, I love pics to give me ideas. I usually try myself and fail ( or at least it's not what I want them I have to have friends adapt my designs or find them online) haha

A

Anonymous

I can take pictures of the finished spray bar and share some of the thought process behind the build.

With all the equipment used one could say overall cost would be $60. It could have been achieved at a lesser cost. Most of what was used I already had accumulated over the years and reused.

1st of all the bar is held in place by these magnet holders. $35 of the cost of these 3 holders was factored into the above cost. I have an addiction to these and have been collecting them so there was a few laying around :D

The PVC was found in the precut area at the hardware store and cost about $3. Plus each PVC joint was about $2EA. New water return line was $20. Most pieces of PVC are reused along with the barb fittings

Simple angle fittings to hook right onto the rim, a screw on type fitting to attach the spray bar, this was a left over from an old line-loc system. This has a 90° angle and is threaded to make minor adjustments if needed. I was going to NOT glue on the spray bar or cap at first so small adjustments could be made to spray angle if needed but feared of the possibility of the water pressure blowing it off and breaking the tank. A few mock ups where made before gluing. I was pretty certain the angle of the spray was close and figured minor adjustments could me made just by tilting the PVC stem outside of the tank.

There is versa-top glass tops and custom cut acrylic sheets on the backside. Since the input/output was reversed I just flip the acrylic sheets upside down and reverse them. Only had to make one cut out for the spray bar.

A

Anonymous

Something a bit new. Imported branch wood. A large piece picked up today. I glued anubias nana gold, Java fern trident, bolbitis mini, and willow moss onto. Going to set it into the 140 and see what it looks like in a couple months. If it turns out well I may pick up some more.

flamechica

fishNAbowl said:
I glued anubias nana gold, Java fern trident, bolbitis mini, and willow moss onto. [/img][/url]

You glued them on? What kind glue do you use for that? The only time I have attached a live plant to wood, I used thread. I plan on chopping that plant up pretty soon and attaching it to the mopani I just got in. Sometimes it's not easy to find good spots to attach the thread.

A

Anonymous

Super glue gel! It's awesome! I don't think brand makes a difference. I've used all sorts of brands.