Dwarf Crayfish?

pbmax

LuminousAphid said:
So, was the issue for these that people were using them as bait or something, and they could have been released into native waters? I don't know what their temperature tolerance is, but if they are named the "cajun" crayfish, I can't imagine they like the rather cold rivers which come down from the mountains around here. By the time rivers get to cajun country, they should be a good 60-70F, and our rivers even near the sound average probably 50F at the warmest time of the year.

So, I'm curious as to why these are such a big issue?
LJ is right.  Arguably dwarf crays represent no danger to the ecology of this state in any way, shape, or form.  They are, however, in the same taxonomic family as all of the rest of the north american crays, like procambarus clarkii.  P. Clarkii have established invasive populations in this state thanks to fishermen using them as bait.  So the geniuses in Olympia decided to use a scorched earth tactic (ban the family) instead of banning individual species.

I kept dwarf crays in the past - they were purchased before I fully understood the breadth of the law.  Once I got my head on straight (or crooked, depending on how you look at it), I stopped buying crays and started spreading the word about the law.  I don't like it either, not at all.

That said, the law is the law and this forum needs to adhere to it.

LuminousAphid

Ah, I see. That makes much more sense.

I have heard we have crayfish around here, anyone know of any good spots to catch some (for food purposes, I promise I don't have a tank big enough for a big crayfish)? And do I need a license?

pbmax

You don't need a license to catch crays here, though you must make sure you're catching in season.  Daily limits are 10lbs in shell of signal crayfish (native) or unlimited non-native (clarkii, etc.).  The catch is that you cannot remove non-native crays from the waterway alive - you must euthanize them before you take them away from the stream, river, lake, puddle, what have you.

See page 131:

http://wdfw.wa.gov/publications/01500/wdfw01500.pdf

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
I like the sticky idea.

Yep lots of politics... like why are piranha not legal here but they are in Oregon... politics.

Not that I would ever want to own said fish.

bassetman

I know some good spots to catch Cary's here on the east side, do not know about the west. Shores around port of Garfield are terrific.

Anthraxx

seems like a great point to ask a question... do bluegill or pumpkinseed sunfish fall under said illegal law? always wanted to try my hand at some sunfish.

Madness

Staff member
I believe they do. I remember a guy came into Midway and wanted to give them the fish and Charles refused to take them because they are illegal, and he didnt want Midway to be fined/shutdown for it.

pbmax

That may be a matter of native collection laws, rather than prohibited species.  I can't find bluegill or pumpkinseeds in the state's prohibited list.

I better do more research and add native collection laws to my post.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Late to the conversation, but you asked where you could catch native crayfish..... I used to catch them all the time unintentionally at alder lake..... It's near Elbe wa near the entrance to mount rainier national park for those not familiar with the area..... I never kept any, as I was actually trying for fish( placed the worm too close to the bottom and the crayfish  would go after them like crazy!  

Now that we have discussed this, I really think we need to have a crayfish boil( both to support the overpopulation of invasive species and more importantly because they are delicious)

A

Anonymous

Interesting. When did this law go into effect? Not to long ago I was eyeballing 2-3 different species at Bridges Pet. There was electric blues, tangerine oranges. I've had a few myself. They are not real good tank mates though to small fish or plants...

Once I had a 14" freshwater prawn. It was a real meany. When my Spotfaced Pike got about a foot in length it tore it into pieces...lol!

pbmax

From the WAC link it looks like the law went into effect in 2002. I'm not sure if all crayfish were banned at that time...

LuminousAphid

pbmax said:
You don't need a license to catch crays here, though you must make sure you're catching in season.  Daily limits are 10lbs in shell of signal crayfish (native) or unlimited non-native (clarkii, etc.).  The catch is that you cannot remove non-native crays from the waterway alive - you must euthanize them before you take them away from the stream, river, lake, puddle, what have you.

See page 131:

http://wdfw.wa.gov/publications/01500/wdfw01500.pdf
Cool, I might have to go try catching some of these sometime. I have never looked for them, but I imagine they can't be too terribly hard to find... I would assume the more detritus in the water, the more crayfish

pbmax

I used to catch them as a kid - it was a lot of fun at the time. :) I wasn't terribly good at it, but a bucket and a stick did the trick ;)

Madness

Staff member
pbmax said:
From the WAC link it looks like the law went into effect in 2002.  I'm not sure if all crayfish were banned at that time...
Just a couple years ago you could buy them at the Asian markets, but not any more.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
So is this why Olive Garden got rid of the crayfish in their seafood Alfredo?

And back in the topic, I was in a pet shop a couple of weeks ago that had blue lobsters for sale. It will remain nameless, but I will let them know about the legality of their stock

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
I figured crayfish and lobster are one and the same when it come to freshwater inverts