Dwarf Crayfish?

LuminousAphid

I just learned of these, has anyone had any experience? I have never seen them around, but I haven't been everywhere even in my immediate area.

They look like dwarf shrimp, but with a little more character... not as elegant, but I might like to give them a try.

42206_400wh.jpg

I don't know if this blue one is real, or a colorized version of an orange one, but it looks awesome:
Mini-Blue-Crayfish__54056_zoom.jpg

I may have just stumbled upon the newest trend after dwarf shrimp...:lol!: 

dwarf crayfish (or any crayfish) is illegal to own as pets, now...with that said, there are some users on here that do have dwarf cajun crayfish. I'll leave it at that for now. lol =P

Illegal is illegal, but with that said, it's not like people are going to walk into your house and be like "Oh. You have crayfish. I'm calling the feds." lol.

Anywho, just keep it on the down low ;)

pbmax

The entire taxonomic family Cambaridae (contains all north american crayfish and all dwarf crayfish) is prohibited (purchase and sale, ownership, long glances, etc.) in this state due to short-sighted lawmakers and irresponsible fishermen.

They're very interesting to watch and keep, though I could never keep mine alive for very long (water is too soft, I think).  My last dwarf cajun disappeared a few months ago, I think. :(

cichlid-gal

I learn something new on this forum everyday...and here's the law

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/wac/default.aspx?cite=220-12-090

and there are even some cichlids on the "regulated" list...wow...how does the state "regulate" fish ownership?

(2) Regulated aquatic animal species. The following species are classified as regulated aquatic animal species:
(a) Crustaceans:
All nonnative crustaceans classified as shellfish.
(b) Fish:
(i) All nonnative fish classified as food fish and game fish.
(ii) Family Cichlidae: Tilapia: All members of the genera Tilapia, Oneochromis, and Sartheradon.
(iii) Family Clupeidae: Alewife, Alosa pseudoharengus.
(iv) Family Cyprinidae:
(A) Common carp, koi, Cyprinus carpio.
(B) Goldfish, Carassius auratus.
(C) Tench, Tinca tinca.
(D) Grass carp (in the triploid form), Ctenopharyngodon idella.
(v) Family Poeciliidae: Mosquito fish, Gambusia affinis.
(c) Molluscs:
(i) All nonnative molluscs classified as shellfish.
(ii) Family Psammobiidae: Mahogany clam or purple varnish clam, Nuttalia obscurata.

pbmax

cichlid-gal said:
I learn something new on this forum everyday...and here's the law

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/wac/default.aspx?cite=220-12-090

and there are even some cichlids on the "regulated" list...wow...how does the state "regulate" fish ownership?
According to this page:

http://wdfw.wa.gov/ais/species.html

"regulated" means you can't release them into state waters.  That's common sense for most of us and definitely necessary.

Regulated aquatic animal species
These species are considered by the commission to have some beneficial use along with a moderate, but manageable risk of becoming an invasive species, and may not be released into state waters, except as provided in RCW 77.15.253. These species include commercial aquaculture species, and species listed by the commission as food fish or game fish.

It's section 1 of the link above that we have to worry about, the prohibited species.  "Prohibited" means:

Prohibited aquatic animal species - RCW 77.12.020
These species are considered by the commission to have a high risk of becoming an invasive species and may not be possessed, imported, purchased, sold, propagated, transported, or released into state waters except as provided in RCW 77.15.253. Which allows for the transport of prohibited aquatic animal species to the department, or to another destination designated by the director, in a manner designated by the director, for the purposes of identifying a species or reporting the presence of a species. The unlawful release of a prohibited aquatic animal species is a gross misdemeanor. A second violation within five years is a class C felony.

And here are the lucky critters:

(c) Crustaceans:
(i) Family Cercopagidae:
(A) Fish hook water flea, Cercopagis pengoi.
(B) Spiny water flea, Bythotrephes cederstroemi.
(ii) Family Grapsidae: Mitten crabs: All members of the genus Erochier.
(iii) Family Cambaridae: Crayfish: All genera, except a person may possess and transport dead prohibited crayfish species obtained under the department's recreational crayfishing rules (WAC 220-56-336 and 220-56-315). There is no daily limit, size limit, or sex restriction for prohibited crayfish species. All nonnative crayfish must be kept in a separate container from native crayfish. Release of any live crayfish species into waters other than the water being fished is prohibited.
(iv) Family Parastacidae: Crayfish: All genera except Engaeos, and except the species Cherax quadricarinatus, Cherax papuanus, and Cherax tenuimanus.
(v) Family Portunidae: European green crab, Carcinus maenas.
(vi) Family Spheromatidae: Burrowing isopod, Sphaeroma quoyanum.
(d) Fish:
(i) Family Amiidae: Bowfin, grinnel, or mudfish, Amia calva.
(ii) Family Channidae: China fish, snakeheads: All members of the genus Channa.
(iii) Family Characidae: Piranha or caribe: All members of the genera Pygocentrus, Rooseveltiella, and Serrasalmus.
(iv) Family Clariidae: Walking catfish: All members of the family.
(v) Family Cyprinidae:
(A) Fathead minnow, Pimephales promelas.
(B) Carp, Bighead, Hypopthalmichthys nobilis.
(C) Carp, Black, Mylopharyngodon piceus.
(D) Carp, Grass (in the diploid form), Ctenopharyngodon idella.
(E) Carp, Silver, Hypopthalmichthys molitrix.
(F) Ide, silver orfe or golden orfe, Leuciscus idus.
(G) Rudd, Scardinius erythropthalmus.
(vi) Family Gobiidae: Round goby, Neogobius melanostomus.
(vii) Family Esocidae: Northern pike, Esox lucius: A person may possess and transport dead prohibited Northern pike obtained under the department's recreational sport fishing rules (WAC 220-56-100 and 220-56-115). There is no minimum size, no daily limit, and no possession limit. Release of any live Northern pike into water other than the water being fished is prohibited.
(viii) Family Lepisosteidae: Gar-pikes: All members of the family.

Madness

Staff member
Some of you may not know this, but several shops in Seattle and several individuals I know very well, have all been investigated in the past 1 to 2 years for selling, owning, purchasing illegal species. I just read an article I think 2 months ago that was about the fish and wildlife busting a man off of CL for trying to sell illegal fish.

You may think that it will never happen, but it did for a lot of these folks, and most of them were investigated because their name was dropped or because their name was found in documents.

As trivial as we all think this is, I have heard rumors that it is going to get worse. So if it were me, I would keep my mouth closed and just keep it to myself, its not worth the headache.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Ive heard that sometimes dept of wildlife will check forums and craigslist ads and follow up on illegal species.

pbmax

How about adding the law including all illegal species of animals and plants to the general forum rules and a sticky in the Market ?

These issues keep coming up; we should address them head on instead of on a case-by-case basis. I'd be happy to start a sticky if moderators promise to make it sticky and add it to the forum rules; I'm not going to waste my time otherwise.

I wouldn't mind making it a sticky (If I knew how. lol... look at me, already not knowing how to be a moderator. LOL)

Nevermind, I found how to sticky topics. Neat. So if the chance comes, and is approved, then I shall sticky thee. =D

... wait that didn't sound right...:joker: 

Madness

Staff member
pbmax said:
How about adding the law including all illegal species of animals and plants to the general forum rules and a sticky in the Market ?

These issues keep coming up; we should address them head on instead of on a case-by-case basis.  I'd be happy to start a sticky if moderators promise to make it sticky and add it to the forum rules; I'm not going to waste my time otherwise.
Thats Corys call, but do members ever read the rules? They never do in the market section. LOL so why for this? I dont mean to be a Debbie downer, LOL. Yes, I think that its a good idea, but will it ever get read?

madness said:
pbmax said:

These issues keep coming up; we should address them head on instead of on a case-by-case basis.  I'd be happy to start a sticky if moderators promise to make it sticky and add it to the forum rules; I'm not going to waste my time otherwise.
Thats Corys call, but do members ever read the rules?  They never do in the market section. LOL so why for this?  I dont mean to be a Debbie downer, LOL.  Yes, I think that its a good idea, but will it ever get read?  
At least it would be easier to just re-direct them to one post, rather than having to try and explain something over and over again when it happens.

pbmax

madness said:
pbmax said:

Thats Corys call, but do members ever read the rules?  They never do in the market section. LOL so why for this?  I dont mean to be a Debbie downer, LOL.  Yes, I think that its a good idea, but will it ever get read?  
Given that prohibited species aren't currently listed in the rules, fishbox members will have great difficulty reading them there. This way it may even save you some typing.

pbmax

PokeSephiroth said:
madness said:
pbmax said:

At least it would be easier to just re-direct them to one post, rather than having to try and explain something over and over again when it happens.
Exactly.

And the laws aren't particularly clear, especially when it comes to noxious weeds (federal and state laws).

Madness

Staff member
No, i dont disagree, I like the idea. I will speak on behalf of Cory. :D get it done and we will make it a sticky. :)

LuminousAphid

Wow, I thought that might get things started, but not in the way I was expecting!

Sorry to bring up something illegal! I had no idea, but I guess I should have figured there was a reason no one was talking about them on here, when they are actually pretty cool.

So, was the issue for these that people were using them as bait or something, and they could have been released into native waters? I don't know what their temperature tolerance is, but if they are named the "cajun" crayfish, I can't imagine they like the rather cold rivers which come down from the mountains around here. By the time rivers get to cajun country, they should be a good 60-70F, and our rivers even near the sound average probably 50F at the warmest time of the year.

So, I'm curious as to why these are such a big issue?