Copper Poisoning

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
(lengthy story)
I'm not sure if I have ever seen this addressed here so let me share a story. And not a good one..

I moved from one location to another in December. The move for myself was great. Things were going well. I lost one (older) fish during the move but that was it. Even with a tank not getting set up for a week due to no assistance and it being a large glass heavy tank. Fast forward 4 months. In April I started having problems with my fish tank, parameter spikes, fish sickness, recent GWA outbreak in one tank, death even. I thought maybe my filters were the issue and not the best solution to my tanks anymore. I started upgrading doing more frequent water changes, talked with a few seasoned fish keepers/breeders and started removing carbon from my tanks, added pot scrubbers for more BB, started doing cold water changes and using Prime when I had been using a basic dechlorinator. Still my tanks were not doing well.

I ended up losing 5 of my 9 angel fish, coutless angel fry, then my remaining pair of adults stopped spawning all together about a month ago. I got my first case of HITH and lost tetra too. All in different tanks with no nets shared between tanks either. Finally I lost my beloved puffer. I was heart broken. I still am. He was one of my favorite fish and I had already lost a few of the others favorites. I was mad. I went to the city and wanted a water report. They easily supplied it and I remembered they had done random tap water samples from homes in my city and I just happened, ironically, to be one of 10 that were done. I requested the report to that as well.

According to the report for city water, nothing stood out. I had to wait a couple days (for schedules to align) to get my tap water readings for lead and copper results. I picked them up today and I was SHOCKED! I have almost THREE times the healthy levels for copper in my tap water for fish! Since moving here I had been unknowingly poisoning my fish! I now am looking for an RO/DI system to set up in the garage so I can safely do water changes on my tanks.

It also got me thinking. If it's killing my fish what could it be doing to me and the other pets? I realized our great dane has skin allergies that the vet can't pin point and are worse only during summer and winter. He doesn't believe it's dry skin. Now that I think of water. In the summer it's hotter and she drinks more water and in the winter she lays in front of the pellet stove making her more thirsty and drinking more water! I wonder if her allergy is to too much copper as well. Which then also got me thinking. I wonder if my eye sight which has slowly gotten worse lately has anything to do with it. I looked up the symptoms of heavy metal toxicity and I have multiple moderate symptoms of it. I have a doctor appointment on tuesday and will be discussing this with my doctor.

So long story. However, sometimes when nothing seems to be working when you feel like you're trying everything. It's not always our faults. I had no idea that there was that much copper in our water and I think I will be doing Spring Water changes by the gallon from the store until I can get the RO/DI system here and set up. As well as I will no longer be drinking the tap water that I have been for multiple times a day. Hopefully I will get my tanks back to a good health and can kind of start over.

I wish I hadn't lost as many fish as I did. But lesson learned. And learn from me! Do COLD water changes and even then test your water for heavy metals. Here are my results from the tap water test and a quote from a website for what the safe levels are.

"Dangerous level of copper for shrimps is 0.03 mg per litre.
Dangerous level of copper for algae and bacteria is 0.08 mg per litre.
Dangerous level of copper for some fish, snails and plants is 0.10 mg per litre.
"

Source: http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/Copper

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
Can you keep snails in your water, and have you fish gotten ich since you've moved? If so I'd say it's not the copper causing problems.

A

Anonymous

o_O - I am speechless.... That is so messed up. Perhaps I should do the same. I mean, I've lost more than a few Apistogramma, Angles, and a few other ' sinsitive ' fish such as EB rams , and the list goes on. Ive always contributed it to sucking at fish keeping but perhaps there is a deeper explaination...

Madness

Staff member
THe kordons RidMetals did nothing for my copper readings or improving my water quality so that my fish didnt get HITH.

She has lost most of everything, all illnesses have been ruled out. Ich wont show unless she has added something recently with ich. This has been a long drawn out discussion on our FB page, and I am happy to say Ashley, I think we (YOU) finally found the problem.

I did a video a while back regarding all the copper and lead that is in the water being used from your hot water tanks. I struggled with issues as well and I used Prime and RidMetals and still had issues. A quick test of the water and saw that my copper levels were up there with Ashleys, and I immediately stopped using water from my hot water tank. My fishes HITH healed and have never had issues since.

KaraWolf

Jease 0.o your poor fishies!!! and your health! Hope you don't have copper poisioning.
and on a totally distracted note: your nails are super fantastic!

Maybe I missed it here, or on the facebook discussion so forgive me if this has already been answered - was the water test done with cold or hot water from your tap?

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
Aquarium Co-Op said:
Can you keep snails in your water, and have you fish gotten ich since you've moved? If so I'd say it's not the copper causing problems.

I have had difficulties keeping mystery snails I have only had two clutches of eggs in 2 years of having them. And only one batch hatched. The snails reach about quarter sized and end up dying. I'm thinking copper and I haven't introduced any fish that have had ich. This is something I scour over tanks when purchasing to make sure I don't see when I get new fish. But I haven't added any new fish since Mother's Day.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
fishNAbowl said:
o_O - I am speechless.... That is so messed up. Perhaps I should do the same. I mean, I've lost more than a few Apistogramma, Angles, and a few other ' sinsitive ' fish such as EB rams , and the list goes on. Ive always contributed it to sucking at fish keeping but perhaps there is a deeper explaination...

After finding out my results I wish I would have done this alot sooner! I had rams that kept dying too. That was in my last purchase on Mother's Day. Maybe once I get this system figured out I will get a pair again and attempt breeding. I have a 30 gallon with only bristlenose in it now so I could easily put a pair in there. AFTER I get good water! lol

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
Madness said:
THe kordons RidMetals did nothing for my copper readings or improving my water quality so that my fish didnt get HITH.

She has lost most of everything, all illnesses have been ruled out. Ich wont show unless she has added something recently with ich. This has been a long drawn out discussion on our FB page, and I am happy to say Ashley, I think we (YOU) finally found the problem.

I did a video a while back regarding all the copper and lead that is in the water being used from your hot water tanks. I struggled with issues as well and I used Prime and RidMetals and still had issues. A quick test of the water and saw that my copper levels were up there with Ashleys, and I immediately stopped using water from my hot water tank. My fishes HITH healed and have never had issues since.

Shawn and a gentleman named Conway both were trying hard and spent a great deal of time going over ALOT of things with me. I have learned so much from them and I am grateful for their help and patience with me. Shawn had suspected metals of some sort at the beginning since I was using heated water to refill tanks. That was why I switched to cold water fills. And things got better for a while. And now I see why, I was probably stirring up EVEN MORE copper sediment out of the hot water tank when I was filling the tanks than what was already toxic levels in my tap water.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
KaraWolf said:
Jease 0.o your poor fishies!!! and your health! Hope you don't have copper poisioning.
and on a totally distracted note: your nails are super fantastic!

It could all be coincidence with my health but I already had a yearly wellness exam scheduled for tuesday when I found all this out so I will talk to her then and see if there is anything I can do other than stop drinking the tap water to get it out of my system.

And thank you, I do my own nails and it's my other side hobby from my chickens and fish. :) They are different about every week to two weeks. PM me and add me on FB and you can see them all I usually take pictures every time I do them. :)

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
bad-daddio said:
Maybe I missed it here, or on the facebook discussion so forgive me if this has already been answered - was the water test done with cold or hot water from your tap?

I'm not sure if it was ever specifically stated but this was cold tap water and tested by our city. We had to run the water for 10 mins let it sit for 12 hours and then fill a bottle immediately, no water down the drain, from the tap in the morning and give it to them within 24 hours.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
DMD123 said:
That might explain the problems. I notice that the MCLG and action level is at 1.3mg/L, so they consider the level still okay.
I notice the link you provided suggested this: http://www.kordon.com/kordon/products/w ... s-benefits!

I had discussed this with Shawn and his lack of noticeable changes in levels detered me from spending the money. I'd rather put it towards and RO/DI system instead. Even the lead is high so I am going to visit other avenues to help all of us. I'm going to use the water for myself and the pets (both furry and wet.)

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Do any live plants help with this issue? Or are the levels too high to make any noticeable difference?

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
I think since they are almost 3 times the healthy level they wouldn't help. I do have plants in most of my tanks already that are low light plants but the one tank I lost 4 of my 9 fish from is heavily planted.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
I was thinking along the lines of pothos plant filtration. But I guess it really is more toward nitrate removal.

plaamoo

Can you draw water where it enters the building, before it circulates through the system? If it's an older building especially the copper may be leaching from the pipes as it circulates through the house.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
DMD123 said:
I was thinking along the lines of pothos plant filtration. But I guess it really is more toward nitrate removal.

I have recently just discovered the pothos plants method! I was considering it too. :)