Cold water fish options

Chiisai

Whats the ideal temp for Arowana. Use to be a fish store in tacoma had one in ice cold tank. Was about 3ft long so had to be there for some time.

Livebearer

Mr Tom,
Hey, I found a really cool little fish you just might be interested in,,,It's called Rosy red minnow.
I don't have the scientific name just yet but "will" available soon and be sold as a "feeder fish" by a company called easteraquatics.com Keep an eye on this and let me know as I want some for my pond too!!!

MRTom

Yeah, there have been a few recommendations that, while cold water, are a challenge in WA. My excel sheet has an invasive and native/collectable column that I am using to track this. For the sake of completeness, I am keeping all species I find in the list, and using the two columns to ID which are best to keep here in WA.

IMO, scientific names for the win (in these situations!) Through some common name confusion, I landed on pseudosphromenus dayi which should be another temperate gourami. Sources vary on temp rage and parameters, but research is ongoing :)

Livebearer

Mrtom, I think I've had these before. I did some searching on-line and believe these are what I had in my pond 2 years ago. They were in with a goldfish batch at a Petco store! I got all 7 but they did'nt last very long>>>

MRTom

Interesting. I'm thinking they won't exactly be good outdoor fish. Too placid and can only really handle temperate temps (68?)? I just got two and I'm trying to acclimate them. The seller's water params are totally the opposite of mine so I'm having a blast with this process. If I succeed, we'll also know if they are temperate too.

Chiisai

I am trying to figure out why WA considers these an invasive species. According to that link the breed with the water is 68+... where in WA is any water that gets that warm lol? I have lived Even in eastern washington I dont think it gets that warm.

MRTom

I think they have it restricted because it competes with the olympic mudminnow. I wonder if they might even interbreed, which would be even worse. The olympic mudminnow is endemic to washington, and as far as I know, is our only native fish... so if introduction of fatheads caused us to loose our only native fish, how much would that suck?
http://wdfw.wa.gov/conservation/endangered/species/olympic_mudminnow.pdf

FWIW, looking at pictures online, the olympic mudminnow is a gorgeous fish... making me wish we had a more stable population so it wouldn't be as hard to keep in the hobby.

dwarfpike

Found another one while researching a different topic. The panda loach, Protomyzon pachychilus ... 64F-72F

From google:

panda_loach_130509a3_w0640.jpg

pbmax

PokeSephiroth said:
I believe the Rosy Red Minnows are also known as Fathead Minnows (Pimephales promelas)...and while they are cold water compatible, they are considered as an invasive species in our state :(

Source: http://wdfw.wa.gov/ais/pimephales_promelas/
If any of you know of species that aren't currently on the Illegal Species post:

http://www.wafishbox.com/t7948-forum-rules-on-illegal-plant-and-animal-species-state-and-federal-laws#73630

Please let me know via PM so I can update the post. The fathead minnow is already on there, but I updated the name to include rosy red.

Anthony J.

Something of interest to me, kinda off topic, but throwing it out. First post, ember tetra, 68-82, I just got 20 of these about a month ago, and they arrived with pretty bad ich. I acclimated them to a tank that was 88 degrees, they have been there for a month, just yesterday I dropped 2 degrees to 86, and tomorrow will go to 84, and so on. Only lost one of them, but interesting how broad a temp range can be tolerated.

MRTom

That is part of the reason for this exercise, to learn what is really out there! While researching this, we ran into the fact that white clouds live at 90 degrees in their source... There have been a lot of similar "really???" moments like that during this project.

i' ve been keeping one of my 125s at 68 degrees not by choice. It contains roseline sharks, guppies and hillstream loaches. a few furcatus rainbows. and sexy pleco, that I can't recall the name of.

Jubs

I let my "pond" go a little too long this fall and I can vouch that cherry shrimp, Heterandria formosa, and a pair of cherry barbs survived mid 40* water, the cherry barbs aren't a good idea as I started off with at least 14 but I did have 2 survivors.

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
So I was just going over this information again. I'd like to add Fancy Goldfish, Koi, Shubunkins, Bitterlings, Rainbow Dace.