Cold water fish options

MRTom

Since we're in the PNW, and keeping my room in the 60's is much easier than keeping a room at 75 or above, I've been looking at keeping fish that would be more friendly to the lower temps. Here's a few that I've found. Do you guys have any other recommendations I could consider? Most of these are small (with malabaricus reaching about 3 inches), so I would love to find a few larger options too!

Chilly fish: Prefer colder, low max temps
White Cloud (tanichthys albonubes): 57 to 72F
Medaka (oryzias latipes): 60 to 72F

Cooler fish: Colder, with a wide temp range
Guppy (poecilia reticulate): 62 to 82.4F
Zebra danio (danio rerio): 64 to 77F
Gold ring danio (danio tinwini): 64 to 79F
Giant danio (devario malabaricus): 64 to 77F

Coldish fish: 68F and above
Clown killifish (epiplatys annulatus): 68 to 79F
Hillstream loach (sewellia lineolata): 68 to 75F
Ember tetra (Hyphessobrycon amandae): 68 to 82F
Cherry barb (Puntius titteya): 68 to 80F

(temps converted from C at SF)

My dream: a room in the basement without a single heater in sight, with species tanks for all of these guys... :heart:

Edit: Added chart

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
All the goodeid livebearers will go down as low as the mid 50s.

Cherry shrimp varients, ghost shrimp, snails etc will go down in the 50s also.

Lamental Jester

They can tolerate 80, but again, "tolerate" and "ideal" are two different things... during the summer my shrimp tank got to the high 80s I didn't see any deaths. However, if you can I would suggest lower your tank a few degrees to keep them at more of their comfortable temp range

Lamental Jester

as long as it isn't a quick sudden drop (like throwing a crap ton of ice in there, lol) it should be fine, just do it gradually if you wanna be super safe, like it's only a few degrees anyways

Now, back to the thread topic... obvious one: goldfish???

MRTom

Tanks for bringing the thread back! Goldfish definitely need to be on the list! I'll research some more on these and add them to the list!

Maybe I should start linking some profiles to the list too.

Jessikins

I was kinda toying with the idea of doing a PNW freshwater native tank (crawdads, sculpin, bluegill and so on...) but I looked up some regs and apparently that's illegal without a special license. Do I be the rebel I want to be or find a new venture..... hmmmmm :scratch: 

Either way I appreciate this thread, a cold water tank would be fun!

A

Anonymous

Mongoose loach?
Chinese golden zebra loach?

Black banded sun fish!

:D 

Giving me ideas for something to start in my garage-fun!

MRTom

Jessikins said:
I was kinda toying with the idea of doing a PNW freshwater native tank (crawdads, sculpin, bluegill and so on...) but I looked up some regs and apparently that's illegal without a special license. Do I be the rebel I want to be or find a new venture..... hmmmmm :scratch: 

Either way I appreciate this thread, a cold water tank would be fun!
My whole cold water tank thing started because I would desperately love to keep a tank of novumbra hubbsi (olympic mudminnow) which in my opinion should be the state fish! I LOVE the look of those guys. Sadly as you pointed out, "cold water" was poured over my idea :D

Thanks for the ideas everyone, keep them coming! I'll collate and update the first post with the list as soon as I can!

dwarfpike

PokeSephiroth said:
.........whoa those pygmy sunfish look awesome, almost look like annual killifish! WHOA... WANT!!
Yeah, we do have some darn colorful natives that are often overlooked.

dwarfpike

Less so actually in our state ... though pumpkin seeds are rather pretty (though technically an introduced invasive native). Some of the darters and smaller sunfish are quite attractive though.