Before & After

JimA

Betty said:
JimA said:
 Thanks guys and gals nice thread.   Get some more tank pics in here!     As for plants in mine I think the Tropheus would leave them alone, I have just been keeping it kind of a bio-type and have not given it much thought.  

Betty thoughts on plants in a Troph tank?
Jim, I prefer just rock in my African tanks, but I felt it necessary to add some fake plants to my troph tank because of all the aggression and stuck a few living anubias in there to see how they'd do.  My tank is only 75 gallons and they can get really rough with each other.  The fake plants give the bullied fish a place to hideout until things cool off.  They used to destroy some of the small leaves when the anubias were young, but mostly leave them alone now.
Thanks Betty, I might add some down the line.

Here is a bit better pic.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
Wholey moses! I'm trying to figure out dimensions for building an in wall tank in the future. We were thinking 18" deep and 4-6' long and 2' tall. That would be about a 150?

JimA

ShortyKiloGyrl said:
Wholey moses! I'm trying to figure out dimensions for building an in wall tank in the future. We were thinking 18" deep and 4-6' long and 2' tall. That would be about a 150?
If you can try and find a 180 I think they are 6x2x2 It's only 5" deeper than 18 but it is nice to have the floor (btm) space in a tank..

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
It's one side hallway and other side bedroom we are already going to over the wall thickness with 18" by quite a bit. :/

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
Here are before and during pictures I can't say after because I am very much so still working on it! You can tell how much the crispus has grown I did realize it was that much until I took the picture and compared! Crazy growth!

Original planting, snails killed the cabomba.

The rest are still there and the crispus is taking over!

MRTom

fishNAbowl said:
MRTom said:
Just crypto wendtii red :)
My guess was a type of crypt by the leaves, just little ones. They do get much larger don't they? Or do they stay that small?
I'm thinking it is a combination of lighting and competition for nutrients. It didn't start spreading shoots until recently. It did go through a few rounds of melt when I moved the tank after the room remodel in January, and the leaves haven't grown to their full original length.

ShortyKiloGyrl said:
What is the smaller green next to the crypto wendtii red?
Narrow leaf chain sword (Echinodorus tenellus). It has been a LOT more aggressive in spreading than the crypto, which I don't mind much :)

ShortyKiloGyrl said:
The rest are still there and the crispus is taking over!
Love what that aponogeton is doing!!! :D

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
I like that narrow leaf chain sword. I think I might need some of that for my nano tank when it gets going.

As for the aponogeton crispus it loves the organic miracle grow I guess! My puffer seems to enjoy going in and out of it's spirals, he's got a few chomp holes in the pieces running along the surface too lol. I have not supplemented with anything. This is a low brackish water tank and I haven't added any Excel or anything. It's taken off like crazy.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
I definitely want to add more. Now that the cabomba got tore apart. I'm just on a search for brackish water plants. Just bought some anubias sp. nana and going to add some to this tank since the other one seems to be slowly coming back to life after me neglecting it after moving. MorganEA your tanks look awesome as well!! Any pointers for a nano with scarlet badis?

MorganEA

I've never kept scarlet badis before, but it sounds like they like busy plants and I read that their color is better when you have a dark substrate.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
I already have some black sand extra from a previous tank so that's going to be their substrate. Worked well in that aspect. Now just trying to figure out the plants.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
I haven't found out yet how good the light is. For now stock light. I know you had that one how was it for light? Or should I upgrade, the fish prefer low to medium light. Or to use floating plants to help block light.