Aquarium Cartel Swap Meet - FEB 8 - new thread

A

Anonymous

I forgot my fishbox nametag at the house (well I guess most of us that got them from previous swaps forgot).

Yesterday’s Aquarium Cartel’s Swap Meet was a very exciting event.  For me, the time flew by.  I was going along with the normal run of things when I realized I hadn’t gotten around to the tables to see and visit everyone for a few minutes.  So I got busy with that and kept jumping back to my table to help people with their selections. I saw a lot of new faces there, and a lot of returning ones.  Several new ‘table managers’ too! And I missed those that couldn't make it this time and hope you can make it next time.

As people were leaving, we heard really nice things about how good the event was, and how they found equipment or plants/fish they were looking for, and how they learned a lot from talking with the people there. In my opinion that's one of the primary things that makes this a great event!

I really appreciate Stan Braaten, Brenda Treibel, and John Revelez for helping us at the registration desk. You guys did a great job of harnessing the attendees and getting them signed in.  If anyone missed signing in and wants to be on the mailing list for future events, just PM me and I’ll get it done.  Gigi will be helping me get the new sign-ups on the list soon. Thanks Gigi!

The attendance was steady and higher than the past 4 swaps (I made a mistake in an earlier post saying this was the 6th one. It’s not; it’s the 5th.)  

I thank you all for the appreciation you’ve shown me here on ‘The Box’ for what I’ve done.  But it wouldn’t happen without the combination of the helpers, traders, sellers, and attendees that brings it all together for a fun and informative event.

The next swap is scheduled for May 2.  So mark it on your calendars and plan for it.  And if you’d like to volunteer to help in some way, just PM me!

Thanks to all!

Madness

Staff member
May 2nd? That sucks I will have to miss that one as well I will be in Reno, in a tournament.

hyp3rcrav3

I may just show up with juvinile Metriaclima Aurora African cichlids and Pelvicachromis pulcher (AKA Cichlosoma kribensis) youngsters and some plants. Maybe other fry, never know. It will all depend on whether or not I can get a portable aquarium system ready. May will be less likely to shock fish as it will be warmer, too.

Hey Hyp3... If you remind me prior to the next one, I will probably a small tank or 2 I could lend you for the next one. I usually keep a few in storage just for this type of thing.

It was nice to meet you!

Livebearer

thanks for the pix, who's the bphotogragher???? I missed this great swat event as did Madness! Sorry everyone as I had alot of great things to offer to the hobby...I WILL be there next time around though,,,
thanx Uncle Ron, your the greatest!!!! :cheers: 

hello12590 said:
Random question would there ever be a swap meet more up north for others who live up here.
Thanks for asking, hello12590! The short answer is no if I'm facilitating it as I have the last 5 events, with the help of several others.

Reasoning... I live here in the south area. I saw a ''need'' for a venue where hobbyists in the south end could get together for trading, selling, giving, chatting and just having a good ol' fishy time with like-minded hobbyists for a single event. This is not a profit gig for me. I guess it could be, but I just do it for fun and the opportunity for us all to gather together down here.

Hope that explains it sufficiently.

~Ron

Madness

Staff member
hello12590 said:
Random question would there ever be a swap meet more up north for others who live up here.
You or someone up north are more than welcome to start one up there.

Do I hear a volunteer? ;)

CrazedAce

There are GSAS meetings in Seattle area I believe. I keep hearing about the auctions up there and have been tempted a few times, but never made it up there. Renton is still pretty far for me, but at least I don't have to deal with as much traffic. :D

Yes there are meetings with great local, regional, national, and international speakers, auctions after most meetings, and large fundraising auctions twice a year. Usually always in the Seattle area. It is more central to many hobbyists in the region. Even hobbyists from Ephrata come to the meetings regularly! Right Donna??!!!

If you haven't been to any of these events, you're missing the boat, IMHO! ...And you owe it to yourself to participate. The general Auction is coming up in April. It is massive! IT HAS EVERYTHING AQUATIC THERE!

If we want to post more about the auction, let's go to Seattle_Aquarists recent post that promotes it! and get that thread going!