anyone have other addictions

Betty

Staff member
Music -- mostly extreme-type metal like black metal, death metal, blackened death, doom, etc. And good old classic heavy metal. (But not any nu-metal or anything that ends in -core!) :punk:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
:fart:
:beer:
:drunk:
:punk:
:ibox:
:superpuke:
:joker:

Madness

Staff member
Fantasy football, fantasy baseball, and good beer. (but only have one , once in a while)

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Im a movie buff. I love watching a good movie at home. Its a shame when my set up at home is more fun than a movie theater!

I also am a big music buff. I listen to all types of music. I am hard core in the sense I do not believe in compressed music. I listen to CD's only and also have a few SACD and DVD-A formats also. I would probably be a vinyl person but dont want to spend money for a record player at this point. Would love a tube amp.

Those are my vices!

Ratlova30

I like movies too! I think I should have been born in my mothers generation though. I like older movies like "weekend at Bernies", "The Long Kiss good Night", "Stake Out", "Caddy Shack". The array of Arnold movies and Steven Segal movies are also fun to watch. I watch the older TV shows and listen to the oldies, "Love potion #9" is one of my favorite songs. I also really enjoy my disco music. Definitely have fallen behind in my generation but it's what I love.

pbmax

DMD123 said:
Im a movie buff. I love watching a good movie at home. Its a shame when my set up at home is more fun than a movie theater!
Those are my vices!
That's not a shame, that means you've done it right! :) I don't go out to movies anymore... watching at home I get picture that's just as good (if not better), with cheaper (and better) food, zero rude noises, better seats, and a pause button.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
pbmax said:
That's not a shame, that means you've done it right! :) I don't go out to movies anymore... watching at home I get picture that's just as good (if not better), with cheaper (and better) food, zero rude noises, better seats, and a pause button.
I only have a 61" TV, but I sit 9 ft away so the effect is cool. I run a 7.1 system with a sub that blends in very nicely to the mix. With music being my other passion, I find if you are set up well in a two speaker stereo system, adding the surround is simple. And I agree about the benefits esp. the pause to go get more snacks!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Golf? Thats not an addiction its a disease... :joker:

Anthraxx

ive played a few rounds myself.. but never found it entertaining.. always seemed like something u do when retired while u wait to die... rofl. maybe its the age gap, which btw im kinda surprised to hear betty likes metal.. idk why but i just dont picture that.. lol.

aquaman95

strange shaped container collecting ive never heard of that i collect batman everything the real bat man tv series and movies

pbmax

DMD123 said:
I only have a 61" TV, but I sit 9 ft away so the effect is cool. I run a 7.1 system with a sub that blends in very nicely to the mix. With music being my other passion, I find if you are set up well in a two speaker stereo system, adding the surround is simple. And I agree about the benefits esp. the pause to go get more snacks!
I upgraded from a 50" to a LCD front projector last year. I bought my house for 2 reasons: It has a good-sized fenced yard (gotta have a good amount of room for the dogs to reach top speed!) and a 16'x16' addition designed to be a media room. I'd wanted a projector for years so I wasn't terribly disappointed when my tv went south. ;)

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
What size screen are you doing for the projector?

I have been on the fence about a projector because the room would present a challenging install.

pbmax

DMD123 said:
What size screen are you doing for the projector?

I have been on the fence about a projector because the room would present a challenging install.
With the couch reclined, we sit about 9' from the screen. We tried 100"+, but it was too big - we kept having to turn our heads. The sweet spot turned out to be 92"; we bought a cheapie elite screens screen and blackout curtains for the windows and the french doors that open into the room. The projector is an Epson 8350 LCD (fairly cheap as projectors go); thus far I've been very happy with it. The picture is better than my old Sony SXRD 50" rear projection TV (purchased in 2006) and of course there's the whole size thing. Lens shift is really handy too... you don't have to worry about precise placement that way. I just put it on top of a 5' rack I already had in the room to hold network equipment and a printer. Just don't look into the beam! :eek:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
LOL, I had the same SXRD! Great picture but what a piece of junk, had the green blob issue covered under warranty and other issues. Got it all covered under the extended warranty. In fact the first time an extended warranty paid for itself!

Right now Im using a Samsung LED rear projection. Very nice picture, it was the last model Samsung had made of them. I run a Sony 470 blu ray player with it. For sound I have a Marantz receiver, Revel loudspeakers and HSU Sub. For music I have a Lexicon universal player I use.

pbmax

Hehe, yeah, I had bleeding yellow from the right side. And it happened well after the warranty (and extended) was up, so I figure I got my money's worth. The projector setup was way cheaper than that TV... I have a cheapie onkyo 5.1 receiver and a decent panasonic blu-ray player with definitive technologies speakers. Marantz is ritzy :) My stuff isn't high end, but it's easily good enough for me.