Anyone doing any projects?

Bob

Finally got one 75 up and running. Upgraded all my Lake Tangs from the 40 breeder to the 75.

CAM00190_zpsbw6kxicx.jpg

flamechica

Looking good!

I got my hex up a couple days ago. No fish in it yet though. Moved all my overgrown plants to it. I've been lazy about getting pics up. I'll have to get on that tomorrow.

A

Anonymous

Sweet! I've got that new set up itch and trying to live vicariously though these builds, lol!

Betty

Staff member
I tried a few pieces of bamboo to see how it would look. I think the pieces will probably break down after a while so I don't want to go to too much effort. I'll test it out with this small tank and see how it does. Trying to decide what color background looks best. These pics show a cream color and dark brown.

013%201024x685_zpsczqldswg.jpg

014%201024x685_zpshkklyu0s.jpg

003%201024x658_zpsgteorgyk.jpg

A

Anonymous

That's really neat Betty. I'm on the fence with the background color. Both look super. However I am leaning toward the lighter background.

Knutsen1122

I agree they all look neat! I'd have to go with the lighter. I think it would contrast really we'll with a dark substrate.

Nick_87

Very neat. It would be cool if you could fashion a way to stick you filter intake tubes inside of one of those too.

hose91

After my first tank, a 75G Mbuna tank in the house, I gathered a group of smaller tanks in my garage, ending up with a 29G and 3 10G tanks scattered around on convenient horizontal surfaces. After some internet research and tool acquisition, I purchased some lumber and made my first stand. It's level, and pretty sturdy without being severely overbuilt like many I saw online. I've moved the four garage tanks to the new stand as shown. It's 65 inches wide, and the shelves are at 19 inches and 52 inches off the ground, and there is 28 inches between the bottom shelf and the upper 2x4. That 29G is 18" tall or so, and I wanted at least 10" clearance. I have to get on a step stool to reach into the back of the 10G's, but did my first water changes tonight and it wasn't too bad. As you can see, there is room for an additional 30" tank (likely a 29G), OR, if I can find a suitably low profile 60" tank, I think I'd put that on the lower shelf, and move the 29G to an as yet unbuilt project!

Finished product

Garage lights off for better viewing

Wider angle shot, the 40G breeder to the left is sitting on a piece of old furniture that is my next project, I think.

reverse angle shot, convenient access to the deep sink, water changer currently attached!

FTS of the 29G, has 6 juvie common Kribs and 4 young Laetacara Buckelkopf. Not in love with the background, but been too lazy to replace it with a plain black one just yet

The left most 10G, white clouds and some pseudomugil gertrudae, lots of RCS. Rescued this from a neighbor who was moving to Canada and couldn't take it with her. It was my first MTS acquisition, and is a dirted tank, which has been nice to experiment with

The middle 10G, 9 Harlequin rasbora and 6 bronze corys. This is a month ago...

... and after a visit to the co-op for some new manzanita and a slight re-scape, stood one of the bogwood pieces up in the back right, with attached narrow leaf Java Fern, pushed the sword back a bit, added the branch for some midwater cover and interest. Both rasboras and cories seem more comfortable, neither really used the dense area of java fern previously.

Finally, my 10G fry tank with 4 1.25" maingano mbuna in it. Some of the java fern here came out of the last tank, stuck it in here to save it for a future tang tank.

Thanks for looking, stand was a fun project, looking forward to the next one!

hose91

Shoot, forgot to mention that I love that bamboo that Betty shared earlier in the thread!! That's a cool look, and although both colors work, I am partial to the darker chocolate brown. Either way, great looking start, looking forward to seeing it planted and stocked!!

Betty

Staff member
Thanks for the comments, everyone. Yes, I would like to hide the intake behind one of the stalks. It shouldn't be too hard if I can place a piece that isn't flush against the back glass. This is just a tiny 2.5 gallon tank. I wanted to see if the bamboo would even work before I try to do it on a larger scale. I have some much bigger diameter pieces (still growing) if this one works.

I don't know about plants. The only thing I can keep alive is algae, duckweed and sometimes anubias. :oops:

Betty

Staff member
I'm glad he likes it! I have a couple of pieces in my pleco tanks and they are starting to wear a little thin. I don't know if they are just dissolving away or if the plecos and shrimp (that are always on the bamboo) are eating it away.
I haven't seen any spawning in them. They prefer their cichlid stones for that.

Wow Betty, talk about dedication I'm glad you were able to see your final product come to fruition. It's awesome how you were able to incorporate space saving into your design as well! You had a great idea the only thing I hope doesn't happen is overheating of your tanks (close proximity) a buddy of mine did something similar to what you have and had steamed synodintis the next morning....yummm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk