Another 180 gals of saltwater...like I need any more

lilfishie

I already have 330 gals of saltwater tanks running now.
Well this is going to be a slow build.
I picked this 180 gal tank up a few months ago. Yeah, believe it or not, its not set up yet.
Anyway, I wanted to be safe and had a guy come out and add support under my house for it. I still need to repaint the stand. I'm not doing anything fancy, sorry! Its getting repainted semi-gloss black. I also need to get the tank outside to fill it up and make sure it is sound before filling it up in my living room. So, I need to wait for a nice weekend. And someone to help me move it. I am also putting 3/4" sheet of plywood on the stand to set the tank on. So the top of the stand and the plywood need to be cut for the overflow.

The tank is 6' x 2' x 2'. The back and both sides are black. There is a dual overflow on the right side.
There are seven holes drilled across the top back for 1" bulkheads, two holes drilled for 2" bulheads, one hole at bottom center of the back for a 1" bulkhead and one hole for a 3/4" bulkhead at the bottom left corner of the back.
The one on the bottom left corner will be used for draining for water changes.
The two large holes for 1.5" bulkheads are the exhaust for the closed loop.
I am planning on using 5 of the holes up top and the one hole bottom center for the closed loop.
Then the last two up top for returns from the sump.
I have a 47 gal glass tank for a sump. An ATI bubble master 250 protien skimmer.

The closed loop pump is a reeflow dart 3500. I have planned to use an eheim 1262 pump for return pump. I am hooking up a reactor for carbon and one phosban.

Anyway, here is the tank and stand. It needs to be cleaned. It has silicone around every hole that needs to be cleaned off. And some sand and crap that I need to vacuum out.

IMG_3034.jpg

IMG_2651.jpg

IMG_3037.jpg

IMG_3044.jpg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Nice!

Looking forward to the pics of it set up!

Betty

Staff member
That will be an awesome setup! I think I would have added that support underneath too.

lilfishie

I was playing with the rock , setting it up this evening just to get some ideas.
The tank is cleaned out. I still need a couple pieces for the plumbing I think I will also take the doors off the stand and take the hardware off. I will replace the hardware with new. And I think I may get some plastic put down so I can start painting it.

It doesnt look as tall as it is. The big piece on the right at the highest point is 18" tall. I cant wait to start aquascaping this tank

IMG_3138.jpg

IMG_3134.jpg

Here are a couple more pieces to add to the scaping. The one on the top left is another big on at about 26-30 lbs and 18" wide.

IMG_3166.jpg

lilfishie

Stopped at Home Depot today and picked up what I think is all I am going to need to finish the plumbing. Also picked up some plexy sheets for the baffles in the sump and silicone. Gonna work on that tomorrow.

I set up all the lockline for the returns

IMG_3279.jpg

IMG_3280.jpg

IMG_3281.jpg

lilfishie

I am plumbing in my 54 gal tank to use as a refugium. The 47 gal sump is not big enought for muche more than the skimmer, other equipment and the return pump.
So this is going to be my refugium. I will add sand to it. All the occupants of my 34 gal RSM is going into this tank. That would by my picasso and platinum clowns, a black bar chromis, tail spot blenny, diamond goby and a couple cleaner shrimp and other critters that I find in there.

IMG_2483.jpg

A

Anonymous

A 180 is a great size personally I went with a 220g that is 6" taller. I look forward to reading more. :)

lilfishie

I think my rock has cycled.
readings are
ammonia 0
nitrites 0
nitrates 25ppm

I did a small water change. Will do a water change every 2-3 days to bring the nitrates down.

lilfishie

Naso2 said:
A 180 is a great size personally I went with a 220g that is 6" taller. I look forward to reading more. :)
When the tank gets that tall, its too tall to take care of for me. I would rather have a longer tank than taller.
The 180 is going to be a great size tank for me though.

unconv-reefer

Hey Lilfishie,

It's been awhile, glad to see you going for a larger tank. All the other tanks doing well?

I still have my tank setup down south but am in moving transition and setting up a 172g (custom size) with 150g remote system. Once it is setup I'll be tearing my other tank down and giving most of my stuff away,
I know you wanted the red Zoas and Green mushrooms, are you still interested.

Can't wait to see how this progresses

Wishing you the best on this build

lilfishie

Thanks for the best wishes. Yeah, let me know what you are going to have available. I am interested in those and probably more.

The build is going slow just because of not having the time. Last saturday and this coming saturday are meetings. But its progressing.

I got some painting done. The rock is cycled. Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0 and nitrates were 25ppm. Did a water change. Will do another one in the near future.

lilfishie

I got the sump done. Skimmer section is on the right, center will hold a little cheato, thats all. The left is the section that will hold two return pumps. The floats are for an auto top off unit. I need to test that yet.

It is a 47 gal tank, I hope its big enough.

IMG_3312.jpg

IMG_3311.jpg

sandnuka

wow, it looks to be coming right along.... thanks so much for the pictures and keeping us up to date step by step... its really cool!

lilfishie

I am getting a little more excited about it. I am a little nervouse about getting the plumbing glued together right.