And then there was an empty 33G long tank!

dwarfpike

33 longs are a great tank. I rather have them than a 55 gallon myself.

I like the planting, not too many species ... I agree it should like great when filled in.

cichlid-gal

Update 10/19/13

Tank has picked up another plant, one in each corner (I'm not sure what this plant is...I bought it from Aquarium Co-op...it was huge...I have separated it to smaller sections...a lily like plant growing from rooted stem sections? Can someone id this for me? If its green tiger lotus lily I want to prune it to keep it smaller)

tank101913_zpsbe3659e8.jpg

Other plants seem to be doing well.  The baby tears have melted to some degree but some have also shown some growth

P1170354_zps8c1734ac.jpg

The other plants are looking good and showing some new "little" sprouts...hoping that's a good sign

P1170329_zpse68f82e2.jpg

P1170349_zpsdd8b681a.jpg

LuminousAphid

If I remember right, it's called Nymphoides taiwan.... it's close to the "Banana Plant," which if I also remember right, is Nymphoides aquatica. I always remember it as the "Banana plant without bananas"

Looks really good, I like the rock in there. Is it Seiryu stone or something similar?

A

Anonymous

I just gave 3-4 of those plants to dwarfpike.

cichlid-gal, I totally dig how you got those rocks set up. Think I am going to shop around for some & see how they look in my tank...

dwarfpike

So that's what they are? Interesting. The female still won't let me fully plant them yet. Silly females.

Anthraxx

@ fishnabowl: pretty darn sure those are the seiruyu (sry maybe mispelt) stones that cory currently carries at aquarium co-op. i ended up buying a big one myself, really love the look of them. its a bit pricey as its shipped from asia but imo its well worth it. much more character to the rocks then lace or holey rock (at least imo)

cichlid-gal

LuminousAphid said:
If I remember right, it's called Nymphoides taiwan.... it's close to the "Banana Plant," which if I also remember right, is Nymphoides aquatica. I always remember it as the "Banana plant without bananas"

Looks really good, I like the rock in there. Is it Seiryu stone or something similar?
Luminous...thank you so much...now I can read about them and see how to care for them.  And yes...that is Seiryu stone.

fishNAbowl said:
I just gave 3-4 of those plants to dwarfpike.

cichlid-gal, I totally dig how you got those rocks set up. Think I am going to shop around for some & see how they look in my tank...
FishNabowl...Thanks for the complements!!!!

BillHN said:
I love this tank.
Thanks BillHN!!!

Livebearer

Donna,
That tanks LOOKS AWSOME! Were did U get the rock from? It looks a lot like rock I've collected from the Sun lakes area?? Rocks from this area are great for aquatic use and the lakes are of hard water in that area. Watch out for the dreded algee bloom though! I would suggest a small pleco or two... you have just inspired me and all of the input here as well. I have a 33L which has been sitting empty for over a year now,, hmmmm I guess it's time to get to work...

MRTom

I keep being amazed by how much I love that 33. It is my favorite tank of all the ones I saw while out there!

cichlid-gal

Livebearer said:
Donna,
That tanks LOOKS AWSOME! Were did U get the rock from? It looks a lot like rock I've collected from the Sun lakes area?? Rocks from this area are great for aquatic use and the lakes are of hard water in that area. Watch out for the dreded algee bloom though! I would suggest a small pleco or two... you have just inspired me and all of the input here as well. I have a 33L which has been sitting empty for over a year now,, hmmmm I guess it's time to get to work...
If you are looking at some of my other tanks, yes, the rock came from around here...actually from the canal bank of the big irrigation canal.  There are huge piles of basalt rock along the canal bank from when they dug the canals.  Tons of the stuff.  It's heavy stone and really dense.  And this tank, the 33G, has Seiryu stone in it.  A couple of my tanks also have river rock in them from the local landscape yard.

ALGAE ... good comment and now I have questions.  I've seen others comment on algae blooms but I'm not sure what to do to head that off.  In my cichlid tanks I've had the diatom algae bloom in newly setup tanks.  Not sure what to expect in a heavily planted tank as far an algae bloom.  Do you get diatom blooms also or green blooms?  I don't want to put a pleco in this tank as it will destroy the plants.  Anyone have recommendations here or what I should be watching for and doing if I see something in particular?

MRTom said:
I keep being amazed by how much I love that 33. It is my favorite tank of all the ones I saw while out there!
Tom...maybe you can set up one of those tanks you are getting from me with some more plants or even make that 55G a planted tank. And thanks for loving this tank...!

A

Anonymous

cichlid-gal said:
ALGAE ... good comment and now I have questions.  I've seen others comment on algae blooms but I'm not sure what to do to head that off.  In my cichlid tanks I've had the diatom algae bloom in newly setup tanks.  Not sure what to expect in a heavily planted tank as far an algae bloom.  Do you get diatom blooms also or green blooms?  I don't want to put a pleco in this tank as it will destroy the plants.  Anyone have recommendations here or what I should be watching for and doing if I see something in particular?
It is very possible and probably inevitable to get algae's and diatoms in this tank. It's all about balance here. Once the balance is correct the development of algae's and diatoms will be minimal if not completely absent.

This is a 30 gallon so you may get away with a bristle nosed Pleco, or rubber lipped Pleco . These two fish will not destroy your plants. A school of Otocinclus in that long tank after it's well established will help. Algae eating shrimp work well with Otocinclus.

MRTom

I agree with fishnabowl, once the tank is going, algae blooms should be manageable. Even the algae on the plants should be ok (though some of us have taken to appreciate the benefits of some algae in the tank. :)) Once you start to see growth on the glass, you can use that as a sign of too much light/fertilization, and you can crank the values down accordingly. I would just say don't worry about it, let the algae come, and deal with it when it does. Falling down is part of learning to ride a bike!

cichlid-gal said:
MRTom said:
Tom...maybe you can set up one of those tanks you are getting from me with some more plants or even make that 55G a planted tank.  And thanks for loving this tank...!
You read my mind :)my plan is to make the 125 a huge cold water nature aquarium display with tons of seiryuu, fissidens and obscene amounts of tiny fish. Cherry barbs vs white clouds are the current candidates. Cory will be happy as I buy all his seiryuu and fissidens stock! I may go with a few different plans though... cabomba is working well for me now, and fishyladdy gave me some weird looking local moss I need to id that would work even better than fissidens and grows super fast... planted tanks sure make things more interesting!

pbmax

I've found that shrimp help a lot with initial algae bloom control. I had diatom and fuzz algae outbreaks in my dry start tank and the chocolate (neocaridina) shrimp I added brought it under control pretty quickly. I imagine a few amano would do an even better job.

cichlid-gal

Week 3-4 update.  It's BHA time...beautiful brown hair algae growth going on.  I'm using my home made fry tank siphon to siphon the algae from the plants and wood.  It does a pretty good job but doesn't get all of it.  I've made some changes to the plants ... adding and subtracting some and watching some perish along the way.  Basically..here's the rundown ..

Change the light from the Current LED to the Finnex LED.  Still running lights 9 hours a day with a split of 4 hours, rest for 2.5 hours, the 5 hours on.

Plants I've lost:
Pennywort gone - melted
HC gone - melted
Aponogeton undulatus moved to another tank

Plants I've added:
Cryptocoryne undulata
Hygrophila pinnatifida
Pigmy Chain Sword, Echinodorus tenellus, Narrow Leaf

Other changes:
I'm also holding a wood/log with Anubias nana in the tank...it will not be staying in the tank

The ceratopteris thalictroides (water sprite) has been divided 4 times into medium sized bunches...growing like a weed

Cabomba have suffered lower leaf loss due to overgrowth of aponogeton undulatus (which was also growing like a weed)  ... I moved it to my sorority tank

Ludwigia have suffered lower leaf loss.... trimmed a couple of the plants because of algae growth and that leaf loss

3x week Excel dosing daily dose
Traces have been dosed 2x
Iron has been dosed 2x
Potassium has been dosed 1x

PLANS:
Just received my dry ferts in the mail today...going to try EI dosing in this tank using the following:

20-40 Gallon Aquariums
+/- ¼ tsp KN03 3x a week
+/- 1/16 tsp KH2P04 3x a week
+/- 1/16 tsp (5ml) Trace Elements 3x a week
50% weekly water change

and here it is.....

P1170623_zps9f175f5f.jpg

P1170626_zps99220f66.jpg

P1170627_zpsa421b255.jpg

and the betta sorority that got the apon. undula...

sorori10.jpg
" />

cichlid-gal

Thanks Ryan!!!! No CO2...I'm hoping not to go that way for a bit yet until I get a lower need planted tank under my belt as I understand that the CO2 complicates things to some degree.

pbmax

Looks good! :)

Be careful with "EI" dosing without CO2, especially when dosing phosphates. I turned a couple of my tanks into algae nightmares doing that. And keep an eye on your nitrates as well. Nitrate to phosphate ratio should be about 10 or 20 to 1 and phosphates should be pretty low - 0.5ppm or less.