Amphilophus tank idea...

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Maybe go the opposite of what your trying.... completely ignore him for 1.5 weeks .... maybe 1-2 pellets only a day, and that’s it. Do not make eye contact, do not gravel vac or change water, just let him claim his territory

I had to ignore my trimac this way ( only did gravel vac a every two weeks) and now he not only glass hangs again, but also eats anything I throw in the tank. This might be anecdotal because I also upgraded his tank, but if what you're doing isn’t working, you may try the complete opposite approach

Well mine did get the tank upgrade from 75 to 90, lol. I know, not a great upgrade but the taller tank did make him feel a lot more comfortable. If I ignore him... I will likely just rehome him. :p

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Well mine did get the tank upgrade from 75 to 90, lol. I know, not a great upgrade but the taller tank did make him feel a lot more comfortable. If I ignore him... I will likely just rehome him. :p
I’d hate for that to happen, but madness may be looking in the near future. But I don’t think it would hurt to ignore for a week and see. No harm no foul.

but really, what would you replace it with? I think you already have a dream collection!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I’d hate for that to happen, but madness may be looking in the near future. But I don’t think it would hurt to ignore for a week and see. No harm no foul.

but really, what would you replace it with? I think you already have a dream collection!
COTA - Order Rio Sarabia trimac group to growout?

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Just a heads up....I had the Saribia when they were first introduced into the hobby.... they are far more streamlined and less bulky like the standard trimac currently in the hobby. They also don’t present the bright pinkish / ref in the throat like the others, but that probably due to collection point as I read the River they are from is a moving river as opposed to. Lazy River .

I need up selling my group of wild caughts when they reached 6-7 inches for lack of the style I wanted.

maybe they have changed now that they are bred in US waters

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I read the same. The Rio Sarabia have the longer streamlined body. And from what I gathered from Mfk these tend to have the spots. The Rio Naranja trimac have the tall bodied look with red throat but the COTA ones dont have the spotting. To me the Rapp’s ones were the nicer of the Rio Naranja. I guess the original TUIC breeders came from Mo Devlin.

Not saying I will start from scratch on my trimac project but would seriously consider especially if a nice stimulus package came along...

Last edited:

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Saw an interesting comment on MFK regarding differences. In that thread the comment was made about a seller that had Niltepec Trimac. The site is https://www.maxcichlids.com/

Kind of interested in these....
Those are a newer collection point too.... I couldn’t find on his website where he mentioned them; but I know max really got into the importing game about two years back but haven’t heard much from his since covid hit

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Saw an interesting comment on MFK regarding differences. In that thread the comment was made about a seller that had Niltepec Trimac. The site is https://www.maxcichlids.com/

Kind of interested in these....

Those are a newer collection point too.... I couldn’t find on his website where he mentioned them; but I know max really got into the importing game about two years back but haven’t heard much from his since covid hit

His stock list is a year old too.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Saw an interesting comment on MFK regarding differences. In that thread the comment was made about a seller that had Niltepec Trimac. The site is https://www.maxcichlids.com/...

It a different world! I went to that site out of curiosity, and found this quote about cichlids' breeding behavior...

'Perhaps surprisingly, cichlids reproduce reasonably easily. The female typically lays the eggs on an underwater feature such as a log or rock, and then fans water over them while her mate goes on the defense against predators. After hatching, the parents look after the fry (baby fish) for a few weeks until they are ready to be on their own.'

Well, I guess it depends on your perspective, but that is decidedly not how the majority of cichlids breed. It has been estimated that there are more than 1300 different cichlid species in Africa (compared to ~600 in the New World), and the majority of these are mouthbrooders (maternal, paternal, or biparental) whose breeding behavior is nothing like that described for the substrate spawners. So like I said, I guess it depends on your perspective... :whistle

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Currently in a research stage... looking for where fish can be obtained and types available. Right now I have enough extra money to put in an order for a group of fish (probably 5 or 6) and shipping. Considering some moving of fish around to have some growing room.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Sent off an inquiry to maxcichlids to see if he still is going... I still cant believe how shy this current Trimac is. Not a big personality. Then four feet away I have a 3" RTM that has a ton of personality and its still a wee little guy. The red devil in the 65B is also a bit of a no personality fish at the moment. Might just be a mass exodus of fish coming soon and a clean slate to start with, lol.

Last edited:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Max got back to me very quickly. Im thinking he is not the one who updates the website. I am very impressed how fast he got back to me. I am posting his email with newest stock list here.

Hello David
Thank you for reaching out to me.
I can ship usps or air cargo.
Air cargo works best for larger orders or larger fish.
Usps seems to be the least expensive carrier for most orders. Let me know if you have further questions.

Here is an updated stock list

Max Cichlids current stock list:

Tomocichla tuba F1 2”
$20 Rio Sarapiqui Costa Rica

Tomocichla tuba F1 4”
$40 Rio Sarapiqui Costa Rica

Tomocichla tuba F1 2”
$20 Rio Fortuna

Amatitlania siquia F1 2”
$15 Río Bagaces Costa Rica
Pairs $40

Amphilophus trimaculatus
Rio Niltepec Mexico
F1 2” to 2 .5” $10
F1 3” to 4” $20
F1 Females 3” to 4” $30
F1 4 1/2” to 5 1/2” $40
F1 6” $60 air cargo only
F1 7” $70 air cargo
F1 8” $80 air cargo only

Vieja melanura
Lago Peten Guatemala
F1 1” to 1.5” $15
F1 2" to 2 1/2” $25
F1 3”to 4” $35
F1 4 1/2” to 5 1/2” $45

Neetroplus nematopus
F1 2 1/2” to 3” $10
Rio Fortuna Costa Rica

Cribroheros altifrons
Coming Soon (December)
Rio Coloradito Costa Rica

Cribroheros bussingi
F1 3” to 3 1/2” $20
Rio Lari Costa Rica
Pairs $50

Cribroheros robertsoni
2 1/2” to 3” $10

Andinoacara coeruleopunctatus F1
2” to 2.5” $15
3” to 3.5” $20
Rio Claro Costa Rica

Cribroheros alfari
1 1/2” $20
3” to 4” $40
Rio Carana Costa Rica

Amatitlania myrnae
F2 2” $15
Pairs $40
Rio Lari Costa Rica

Hypsophrys Nicaraguenses
F2 2” to 2.5” $10
F2 3” to 3.5” $15
F2 pairs 3.5” to 4” $40
F2 pair 5” to 6” $60
Río San Juan Costa Rica

Mayaheros beani
F2 3” $15
F2 5” $30
Rio San Pedro Mexico

Herotilapia Multispinosa
F1 2” $15
Río San Juan Costa Rica

Cribroheros longimanus
F1 1.5 “ $15
Río San Juan Costa Rica

Amatitlania septemfasciata
F1 1.” $15
Rio Corinto Costa Rica

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Impressive list. I'd be willing to jump in if your game. Would love me some Tuba..
I will let you know. I need to make some growout space. How many trimac would you start with with the goal of getting one or possibly two nice males? I was thinking 6?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Been getting suggestions from other trimac owners (@lloyd378) and some MFK members to give it some more time and try something new. The ignore for a few days was suggested with a dont feed during that time. Hopefully the fish will be hungry and respond better. Im going to try this out. Will see what happens.