Amphilophus tank idea...

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
They are becoming beasts! Love them
Thanks, the group is doing pretty well considering they could all be potential jerks, lol. Goal now is to raise out the one in the 65B and get it to a size to then introduce into the 300. Hopefully it turns out well and a male to boot. Will wait and see. Probably at least 6 months before it can be moved. Might just power grow it for a bit...

Madness

Staff member
Thanks, the group is doing pretty well considering they could all be potential jerks, lol. Goal now is to raise out the one in the 65B and get it to a size to then introduce into the 300. Hopefully it turns out well and a male to boot. Will wait and see. Probably at least 6 months before it can be moved. Might just power grow it for a bit...

Why not throw it in when small? Let it grow with the big brothers, that way it knows its place as it grows instead of going through an ass whoopin initiation when big

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I am really trying to get a good pic of the little guy in the 65B. He is quick and wont sit still! Hopefully this captures his potential. My hope is the light orange 'stripes' stay as he gets older and that the color comes out just a bit more.
IMG_20201219_133239998.jpg

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
I am really trying to get a good pic of the little guy in the 65B. He is quick and wont sit still! Hopefully this captures his potential. My hope is the light orange 'stripes' stay as he gets older and that the color comes out just a bit more.
View attachment 7337
Reverse barring is one of my favorite looks, but it is so rare to find in the amphs that I’ve only ever seen pics

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Bit of a trimac update. With extra time off I have been doing hard core cleaning on all my tanks and the trimac seems okay with it this time around. I had euthanized the deformed tankmate and the trimac acted a bit weird for a few days but seems calm now. The tank got a bristle nosed pleco and it has dug out a spot under the large mopani log. Im not sure if the trimac even registers the pleco in there. Anyway he has improved his little tail spot issue. Still there but the best its looked in a while. This morning he was flaring at reflection and he flared at my had... a sign of getting the adult attitude? Will see. I guess I will give him more time to see how he develops.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
They have amazing colors, almost Koi-like! That Trimac is gorgeous.
Thank you. Been trying to get all my tanks in order lately. Not that they are that bad but I like seeing the fish and not what I need to clean, lol. The amphs. are one of my favorite fish to keep and Im happy with how they are turning out.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I think I would rather have the calm trimac to view than one that was constantly trying to destroy what ever is in view. Be is a gorgeous fish.
Ive got multiple fish which are extremely interactive. The amphilophus in the 300 community are not glass bangers but do the ‘dance’ for food. This same dance is also seen in my rtm’s and hairy puffer. The arrowhead is a bit of a dud in that it doesn’t do much but at least its very responsive to movement. My angels are also very interactive fish.

I just expect so much more from what should be an interactive fish. Ive tried everything I could think of to get the fish more comfortable and interactive and have not seen enough to want to keep it. Since I have a bit of time on my hands right now the fish gets daily water changes so it gets used to my presence and gets more comfortable with things. I spend more time in front of the tank. I takes pictures and put hands up to tank for it to accept me being around. It is just there looking at you with no response, lol. It is a great tank filler but thats it for now.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
It doesn’t help that the Trimac is not very food oriented. He watches me drop pellets in and hits them hard but only gets a few. They sit in the tank for hours as he eats one here and there. Ive experimented with a mix of brands, individual brands different sizes, floating, sinking and his preference is is Omega One floating which is what I am using. Ive tried treats like krill and earthworms and I am dealing with a finicky eater now. Very frustrating... I know this has been affecting his color and growth.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Ah, understand that. A floating blob is not much to watch. I get the happy dance from my male tapajo and the chocolate but not from the sev's in the 220. The 2 in the 120 do the dance as well.
Wonder if there were some dithers that would work to get him more active but not predatory.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Ah, understand that. A floating blob is not much to watch. I get the happy dance from my male tapajo and the chocolate but not from the sev's in the 220. The 2 in the 120 do the dance as well.
Wonder if there were some dithers that would work to get him more active but not predatory.

Maybe go the opposite of what your trying.... completely ignore him for 1.5 weeks .... maybe 1-2 pellets only a day, and that’s it. Do not make eye contact, do not gravel vac or change water, just let him claim his territory

I had to ignore my trimac this way ( only did gravel vac a every two weeks) and now he not only glass hangs again, but also eats anything I throw in the tank. This might be anecdotal because I also upgraded his tank, but if what you're doing isn’t working, you may try the complete opposite approach

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I had the Sagittae as a dither/target fish and in some ways acted better but in others still an issue. For example its tail spot lymphocystis was really bad looking. Right now with just solo trimac its lymphocystis is very much reduced. Almost looking gone...

I would totally do a trimac again but would start with a group of 1” fish and grow them out from young.

I wanted something that I had never had before and something that you dont see that often, so the trimac was a dream fish fulfilled. But it is not really a dream...