Amphilophus tank idea...

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Hmm, how to fit a larger tank maybe :whistle
When we did the house remodel I had considered a bigger tank but the loss of storage in the house adding a second bathroom and removing a hall closet didnt help. Keeping the tank at 24" wide made it so we got a shallow storage closet behind the length of the tank. If I went wider, we would have lost that space. I kind of already hate the fact the tank is so tall, lol

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Have you ever tried peacock bass? There was a member here selling some recently. I absolutely love them and in fact took a pic of a guys tank he shared on Facebook the other day… check it out2E40E117-4DAC-4DC9-A198-4A2394BA479A.png

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Also, I’m saddened that big midevil passed. He was really becoming a beautiful example of a large midevil. One of the nicest I’ve seen.

I do have a female midevil ( was told it was pure red Devil, but couldn’t verify) just incase you’d like more chaos in your 300

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Have you ever tried peacock bass? There was a member here selling some recently. I absolutely love them and in fact took a pic of a guys tank he shared on Facebook the other day… check it outView attachment 9382
They can be such aggressive feeders that they actually kind of freak me out, lol. I feel like my tank is too small for these too. I really wish my tank was like 30” wide instead of tall.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Actually I texted him tonight to suggest that he breed this guy if you ever part with him. Haha

great minds
My only issue with that is that he was a runt of the batch. In fact he still is smaller than than his sibling with the swim bladder issue. I would guess the bigger midas is at least 12" based off the devil that died measurements. This guy to me seems about 10" but is fierce and doesn't know he is small, lol. I could see keeping him for life in a 90 to himself. I wonder if he were line bred if a small midas variety could be produced?

Anyway, after i euthanize the sick midas with the swim bladder these two are left
IMG_20201218_153903317.jpg
IMG_20201218_153705228.jpg

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
My only issue with that is that he was a runt of the batch. In fact he still is smaller than than his sibling with the swim bladder issue. I would guess the bigger midas is at least 12" based off the devil that died measurements. This guy to me seems about 10" but is fierce and doesn't know he is small, lol. I could see keeping him for life in a 90 to himself. I wonder if he were line bred if a small midas variety could be produced?

Anyway, after i euthanize the sick midas with the swim bladder these two are left
View attachment 9390
View attachment 9391
The one on the bottom sure has an interesting shape…. More vieja that amph. His colors are also interesting with how the orange looks like it’s basically falling off the tail while he swims.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
I also think you will see some exponential growth with the largest two now passed away

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
The deed is done. I euthanized the midas with the swim bladder issue. It was bigger than the last one at 12 3/4” it was a beautiful proportioned fish. Not overly fat, nice hump and a pretty good personality. This one will be missed.

So its down to the two cichlids in the 300. They have been been going at it. The red devil has a scuffed up hump and is looking rough. The smaller midas is a beast with its no nonsense not afraid of anything attitude.

If it gets too rough I have a 90 available to move one out. Likely the red devil to go heal and then get a new home. The midas would get the big tank until I either see growth on its part or get moved out in favor of something else.

Last edited:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
The two amphs might work for a while. They have divided the tank in half and kind of stay on their own sides for now. The little Midas kind of pushes those boundaries but they allow each other to cross over when its feeding time. I absolutely hate my tank right now. Hopefully I figure out something soon. Future Trimac home? lol

Madness

Staff member
The two amphs might work for a while. They have divided the tank in half and kind of stay on their own sides for now. The little Midas kind of pushes those boundaries but they allow each other to cross over when its feeding time. I absolutely hate my tank right now. Hopefully I figure out something soon. Future Trimac home? lol
Vieja? I have a Bifa, some grow out argentea, maybe a zonatus.