Alt. Compressiceps Sumbu Dwarf

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
I decided that one of the DIY hoods would be a better fit on the Sumbu tank. I heard a recommendation somewhere that subdued lighting is better :whistlePXL_20211123_042618894~2.jpg

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Contributing Member Level III
Mood lighting, good choice! Now for some music…
I spend the last hour or so of many of my days in the fish room (with a cognac), when only the actinic lights are on, and I have become convinced that some of the most interesting interactions amongst the fishes occur in twilight (in daytime they're mostly foraging for food). It's been fascinating, makes perfect biological sense, and is something I didn't realize until recently. Always something new in this hobby...

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
The change to lower lighting hasn't changed the shyness of the Dwarves but it does allow me to sneak up and catch some sightings.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
I have seen only 1 of the dwarves consistently so I did a water change and pulled all the shells a few at a time. Using my headlamp I was able to candle the shells and find 7 dwarves. One even looked to be guarding eggs. I removed all but 30-40 shells that I spaced out in groups of 5.PXL_20211213_220019072~2.jpg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
You're never going to see much of them unless you add some tankmates that are less shy.
Makes me glad I did not get these shy ones even though I love the way they look. My little guys are very outgoing and obnoxious, lol.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
If I sit very still some of the dwarves come out of hiding. I think I have seen 5 different ones but not sure. There is a very dark one on the far right side approximately 2.5in. There is a bit smaller one to it's left behind the rocks that show the more typical light blue with bars. There may be one in the rock pile too. There is another on the far left side of the tank towards the front.
The shells I have are very lite and they move as the Malaysian trumpet snails crawl around or under them.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
If I sit very still some of the dwarves come out of hiding. I think I have seen 5 different ones but not sure. There is a very dark one on the far right side approximately 2.5in. There is a bit smaller one to it's left behind the rocks that show the more typical light blue with bars. There may be one in the rock pile too. There is another on the far left side of the tank towards the front.
The shells I have are very lite and they move as the Malaysian trumpet snails crawl around or under them.
Did you forget to add a pic? It sounds like you're describing one.

2.5" already? That's awesome; they don't get much bigger than that.

Given the height of that tank, you could add a few Cyprichromis to liven things up...

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Did you forget to add a pic? It sounds like you're describing one.

2.5" already? That's awesome; they don't get much bigger than that.

Given the height of that tank, you could add a few Cyprichromis to liven things up...
I've thought about adding cyp's but I don't have good lids. Which is why I'm looking at the Julie's. There's a 3-4in gap along the back that's not covered.
Update pics:PXL_20220105_011526096~2.jpgPXL_20220105_011538810~2.jpgPXL_20220105_011542735~2.jpgPXL_20220105_011602688.jpg

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Tropical fish world: "The female will pick out one particular shell to use as her “home” and when ready to spawn, the pair will turn a dark (almost black) color as the male displays himself to the female in front of the female’s shell."
Well, I definitely have 2 males displaying for the females. Both are towards the right side of the tank.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
When I brought the first two home the male chased the smaller one into a corner behind the heater. He made sure it stayed there too. Well, by introducing four smaller and rescaping the smaller one has burrowed under a rock. The large male does come around to investigate. The home owner checking the doorstep.
Are the females the diggers @sir_keith?
PXL_20220406_003515236~2.jpg

Last edited:

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Are the females the diggers @sir_keith?
Yes, they are. Although the Sumbu dwarfs are not closely related to other Shellies, their breeding strategy is similar (convergent evolution), with the female establishing the breeding site, which involves lots of digging. This arrangement lends itself well to harem polygamy, in which a male may breed with multiple females in adjacent sites.

A notable exception to this kind of arrangement is Neolamprologus brevis, a sexually dimorphic shell dweller that forms strong pair bonds. In this case, both the male and female establish the breeding site, and defend both the site and their fry vigorously. These are my favorite shellies.

Neolamprologus_brevis_Moba.jpg