A sad day in the Madness house

mrmann

Sorry to hear of your loss Madness...that is always tough to take. I lost a large female umbee a few weeks ago to a psycho male.

Madness

Staff member
dwarfpike said:
Sorry to hear that Madness ... were they from Mel's pair?
No. Mels are Nicaraguan. Mine are WC Costa Rican Blues.

mrmann said:
Sorry to hear of your loss Madness...that is always tough to take. I lost a large female umbee a few weeks ago to a psycho male.
Thanks Mike, its going to be tough finding another WC CR female. Those dang males can snap on a dime. :x :x :x 

Madness said:
honestly I have no idea. Since she's been gone, it's like he's a new person (fish).  He is so active and interacts with me the entire time I am out there.  its hard to explain he just seems relaxed. When you've had a fish that long you definitely can tell when it's different.
This is exactly what happened when Big D the Umbee waxed his female a couple weeks ago. He is such a cool/different fish now that I'm leaning against trying another female. I feel you though! It happens so fast that it is really hard to save them most the time.

tayntdawg

I have had to split three of my pairs up and might have to do it to another pair so the moon you think I was wonderin what was causing all these problems. Sorry to here about you female man..ill keep an eye out for a female

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
I 100% agree that the moon had to be the contributing factor to lead so many fish to act crazy. I also noticed an increased aggression level in my students this week. Must have been a super moon, though, to have so many pair snap...... these are some sad stories all around this post.

hyp3rcrav3

I had a heater malfunction and lost 4 baby gold angel and three moonlight gouramis I had intended to breed. Not aggression but still hard to deal with. Also had a breeding pair of kribs kill a male and this tank is very long. They want the whole damn tank which is odd. I once had the same tank colonized with 10 fish with no problem. Just one of those days.

Will I am

Madness, sorry for your loss!!! I AM HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM!!! My male is just pyscho nuts right now! I had to take him out of the tank, left him our for 3 days, put him back in with my female and fry, put a divider up. He broke through the divider and started fighting with my female again! I get a text from my brother last night "dood they're fighting again"... I'm just glad I have someone home at all times to give me a heads up. Kinda sucks though when your at work and have to try to go home to play fish god...

Drd62

Madness said:
Over the past week I have noticed that a lot of my pairs have been having issues. (marital spats)    Pairs that have been together for a few years, suddenly the males are turning on the females.  Just in the last week I have had to divide 5 of my pairs, and everyone of them have been great together with no issues.  I think its the Moon. :suspect: 

Anyway, I went out into the fishroom yesterday and found my WC 15" Costa Rican Blue female Dovii laying in the corner.  I quickly removed her and placed her into a quarantine tank.  This morning she was dead. :( :(   

Damn males. :x :x :x 

So my male will be flying solo for a while until I am able to find me another WC Coasta Rican Blue female. :( :( 

Anyone else been dealing with male aggression the past week or so?
Sorry for your loss. In fact I did tell you that my large Bifa has been on the rampage this past week in my large tank. I agree with you, maybe it's the moon :suspect: 

bassetman

Same kind of week here. I have my big female Coatzacoalco in hospital re growing fins and scales. Male just flipped out on her. Nearly lost a hecklii to the same cause and the gold Dovii now have a separator that only the female can get through. All to sudden, non characteristic violence.

Male gold is approach 18" now madness.

Madness

Staff member
bassetman said:
Same kind of week here. I have my big female Coatzacoalco in hospital re growing fins and scales. Male just flipped out on her. Nearly lost a hecklii to the same cause and the gold Dovii now have a separator that only the female can get through. All to sudden, non characteristic violence.

Male gold is approach 18" now madness.
Dang, that boy has put on some size quick. Have a recent pic of him?

dwarfpike

Madness said:
dwarfpike said:
Sorry to hear that Madness ... were they from Mel's pair?
No. Mels are Nicaraguan.  Mine are WC Costa Rican Blues.
Oh, I saw blue and automatically thought Nics ... more of a SA guy, thought the Costa Ricans were golds. Didn't know they had blues down there too.

Madness

Staff member
Yea, they are not that common which is why it will be very difficult to find a female. If you look at my male and compare it with a Nic male, there are several distinct differences, but you cant really see them unless you are looking at them side by side, or you own one type and then see the other type.

dwarfpike

Madness said:
Yea, they are not that common which is why it will be very difficult to find a female.  If you look at my male and compare it with a Nic male, there are several distinct differences, but you cant really see them unless you are looking at them side by side, or you own one type and then see the other type.
That might explain it. I try not to look at cichlids too large for my tanks. It's kind of looking at that giant sized TV you know you can't afford. :lol

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
dwarfpike said:
Madness said:
Yea, they are not that common which is why it will be very difficult to find a female.  If you look at my male and compare it with a Nic male, there are several distinct differences, but you cant really see them unless you are looking at them side by side, or you own one type and then see the other type.
That might explain it. I try not to look at cichlids too large for my tanks. It's kind of looking at that giant sized TV you know you can't afford. :lol
You can always afford it..... credit card :D 

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Ive always appreciated that madness does not mix up his cichlids. His F1's are real from WC parents and not some mutt fish.

dwarfpike

DMD123 said:
Ive always appreciated that madness does not mix up his cichlids. His F1's are real from WC parents and not some mutt fish.
That's really cool. For the most part, it seems CA keepers don't have the same sense of keeping their cichlids pure that dwarf, westie, and Victorian keepers do from what I've seen on various forums.

bassetman

I will get some pics in a few days. These are a few months old.they are in the pond right now and hard to get pics but they have to come in soon so pics in a few. Anyone interested I have a bunch of f1 fry about 2" come on over and catch what you want.