A sad day in the Madness house

Madness

Staff member
Over the past week I have noticed that a lot of my pairs have been having issues. (marital spats) Pairs that have been together for a few years, suddenly the males are turning on the females. Just in the last week I have had to divide 5 of my pairs, and everyone of them have been great together with no issues. I think its the Moon. :suspect: 

Anyway, I went out into the fishroom yesterday and found my WC 15" Costa Rican Blue female Dovii laying in the corner. I quickly removed her and placed her into a quarantine tank. This morning she was dead. :( :( 

Damn males. :x :x :x 

So my male will be flying solo for a while until I am able to find me another WC Coasta Rican Blue female. :( :( 

Anyone else been dealing with male aggression the past week or so?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Sorry to hear! :( 

She was pretty beat on but I hoped she would pull through. The big guy will probably have a big growth spurt now that he has nothing else to do...

Paintguy

The last time a big pleco ticked me off.. I gave him a "time out" on the lawn for 10 min.

Sorry for your loss though.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
I've had the opposite..... I have babies in my umbee tank, and yesterday morning I moved my 6-7" Dovii into a tank that housed my 4-5" Midas from dmd(which I think is a girl) when I got home from work last night, my male Dovii was bobbing up and down and this morning he was dead!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
lloyd378 said:
yesterday morning I moved my 6-7" Dovii into a tank that housed my 4-5" Midas from dmd(which I think is a girl) when I got home from work last night, my male Dovii was bobbing up and down and  this morning he was dead!
The midas beat up the dovii? My midas has not peeled and shows no aggression yet...

nick_76

ive noticed in my paired discus, the female has been black the past two days. shes been sloughing off her slime coat, so I don't know if theres in spots underneath, I started medicating today just in case.

I recently did a water change, she went black after that, the male is his normal blue+blood red. all other fish in the tank are normal,

not sure whats wrong with my female, I call it "non-specific *****-up-itus" don't know the best treatment

this is not the tank that had the lane mountain sand an a string of mysterious fish deaths. water params couldn't be that bad because up until she ate them, her eggs experienced not much more than a normal mortality rate

KaraWolf

Its gotta be the moon >< my 5 inch red tailed shark spent yesterday evening randomly spazzing out and hitting the tank hood.....did some scale damage and is back to hiding so I can't find out if she did more damage without stressing her out and the tank parameters are fine...little warmer to treat some other fish but she's been fine
Edit: o.o apparently indgo =flourcent lime green

Madness

Staff member
Betty said:
Aw, that's sad.  Did you have her for a long time?  
Both of them were caught together. I have had them for 3 years and the guy I bought them from had them for a year

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
she was a great looking dovii and the above information that you just shared makes it even worse!!! once you track down another female, what's your plan for reintroduction of a tankmate? eggcrate or? thinking that your big male could go through an eggcrate like it wasn't even there.

Madness

Staff member
honestly I have no idea. Since she's been gone, it's like he's a new person (fish). He is so active and interacts with me the entire time I am out there. its hard to explain he just seems relaxed. When you've had a fish that long you definitely can tell when it's different.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Might be time to set up the 300 for him and his new girl....

He would make an excellent wet pet if you want to dedicate a solo tank to him.

A

Anonymous

Madness said:
honestly I have no idea. Since she's been gone, it's like he's a new person (fish).  He is so active and interacts with me the entire time I am out there.  its hard to explain he just seems relaxed. When you've had a fish that long you definitely can tell when it's different.
Sorry Madness,

In the wild do Dovii stay paired for life?

cichlid-gal

Sad news here everyone.  I lost my favorite male gold zebra male a week or so ago...sudden illness not aggression. I'd only had him a year and I was devastated.  Cried all day (my daughter said...its a fish...my husband understood).  I cannot imagine how I would have felt if I had had him for 3 years Madness...I'm so sorry.  I have two other WC zebra gold males but I'm not sure either of them will be able to take the place of my most favorite guy.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Jessikins said:
Maybe he just couldn't take her abuse anymore and went all Oxygen channel on her.
:laughhard: I think it was more 'Court TV' or 'Lifetime' special.....

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
The Autumnal Equinox is fast approaching, maybe there is something to that whole Moon theory.