A new beast approaches - Marbled Goby

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
I haven’t seen the goby eat anything but red wigglers. I need to get it on pellet somehow... hmmm.
Ive heard they are very much sight feeders and respond to movement and it’s a challenge getting them on pellets. But most of the times its with older fish. This little guy is still trainable. Maybe start with small pieces of tilapia or shrimp?

FishBeast

Ive heard they are very much sight feeders and respond to movement and it’s a challenge getting them on pellets. But most of the times its with older fish. This little guy is still trainable. Maybe start with small pieces of tilapia or shrimp?
Good point! I dropped in a small piece of krill and also 2 bloodworms before lights out. Hopefully gone by morning! If not I’ll slice tiny slivers of tilapia. Every pellet I’ve dropped in has stayed where they land until fungus/mold coats them and I have to fish them out. I do see him swimming near the surface, maybe I’ll try floating food too

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Krill and bloodworms untouched. Will try tilapia tonight!
Tie a string on the bloodworm and move it in front of the goby... lol

Im not sure how bold the fish is but maybe try to tong feed it. This works for some puffers.

FishBeast

Tie a string on the bloodworm and move it in front of the goby... lol

Im not sure how bold the fish is but maybe try to tong feed it. This works for some puffers.
He ate a pellet! Finally :lol the floaters did the trick. Must’ve thought it was a small insect

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Once on pellets it should put some meat on its bones and you will have your monster goby in no time.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Have you tried flakes? Ken's Plankton/Krill/Spirulina flakes are a big hit with all my fishes, and if you add large flakes to a tank with good water movement, they will dance around in the water column for a long time before ultimately settling on the bottom. Maybe they would temp the little guy. Just a thought... :whistle

FishBeast

Have you tried flakes? Ken's Plankton/Krill/Spirulina flakes are a big hit with all my fishes, and if you add large flakes to a tank with good water movement, they will dance around in the water column for a long time before ultimately settling on the bottom. Maybe they would temp the little guy. Just a thought... :whistle
Haven’t tried that, good point with the movement possibly tempting him to strike. I’ll pick up some Ken’s flakes