A new beast approaches - Marbled Goby

FishBeast

I just placed an order for one of my dream monsters. It’s a (supposedly) 2-3” Oxyeleotris marmorata (marbled goby aka marbled sleeper)! Tops out at 2 feet.

Really hard to find. Good deal at $14.99 but shipping was poopy since it’s coming from San Diego. Plan to put it in a 75 and then the 210 eventually as it puts on size. I am planning to pick up a 350 or 400 to move them all into eventually (once Jason from Clear Fab gets back to me).

Hopefully by then the polys will be too big to eat! We shall see. Pics and video coming.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
I just placed an order for one of my dream monsters. It’s a (supposedly) 2-3” Oxyeleotris marmorata (marbled goby aka marbled sleeper)! Tops out at 2 feet.

Really hard to find. Good deal at $14.99 but shipping was poopy since it’s coming from San Diego. Plan to put it in a 75 and then the 210 eventually as it puts on size. I am planning to pick up a 350 or 400 to move them all into eventually (once Jason from Clear Fab gets back to me).

Hopefully by then the polys will be too big to eat! We shall see. Pics and video coming.

I thought you were down sizing :rofl

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
That is an awesome fish!
Petworks in Olympia had one in stock that was probably about 8" or so. They called it a "water cow" but it looked to be the marbled and not the bi color goby (Eleotris picta?). There is confusion for sure using the common names as opposed the scientific.

FishBeast

That is an awesome fish!
Petworks in Olympia had one in stock that was probably about 8" or so. They called it a "water cow" but it looked to be the marbled and not the bi color goby (Eleotris picta?). There is confusion for sure using the common names as opposed the scientific.
Oh wow! Yes the common names are often mixed up. The crazy thing is that the gobies themselves can look very similar due to some degree color changing ability. I do like how the "water cow" looks too when it has the cream color top and dark belly

FishBeast

So far so good! He ate a nightcrawler but spit out the "de-juiced" carcass after an hour. My 7 year old decided to "adopt" him. I bought from SD tropicals online. They have a decent selection of some weird fish!

Overnight shipping was $45 QQ for a 2 inch fish!! :mad:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Honestly not the worst shipping cost, lol. Some companies get you with extra charges for boxes, packing materials, heat packs, etc. If they ship out enough they should get a decent discount. The order I placed to Imperial Tropicals in Florida was $29.99 and inside a 10” pleco, along with 3 other types of fish.

But glad to hear it is settling in.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Everyone (non-fish keepers) who visit always comments on eating my fish... why? Im part Korean and dont go over to their homes and comment about eating their dogs. lol

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Damn hahaha! It’s true though, every time I research a fish that gets fairly big there are always photos of them on a plate QQ And RECIPES :eek:

Yes, well, some years ago we took a riverboat down the Peruvian Amazon, and nearly every night we had 'Dourada' for dinner. It's a catfish that is widely distributed in the Amazon; in an aquarium they look like this-

maxresdefault.jpg

In the wild they look like this-

piraiba catfish catfishes brazil amazon parana negro.png

Yikes! They have flakey white flesh, not at all muddy. Delicious! :eek:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure what the difference is between the use of goby or gudgeon... but Wet Spot had a Snakehead gudgeon in stock recently. I was super tempted but I am just stocked up at the moment with nowhere to put the thing. lol

Seeing your little monster makes me want to make room somehow...

FishBeast

Yes, well, some years ago we took a riverboat down the Peruvian Amazon, and nearly every night we had 'Dourada' for dinner. It's a catfish that is widely distributed in the Amazon; in an aquarium they look like this-

View attachment 7129

In the wild they look like this-

View attachment 7130

Yikes! They have flakey white flesh, not at all muddy. Delicious! :eek:
Wow! That’s a huge cat. How amazing that you were able to go there! :)

FishBeast

Not sure what the difference is between the use of goby or gudgeon... but Wet Spot had a Snakehead gudgeon in stock recently. I was super tempted but I am just stocked up at the moment with nowhere to put the thing. lol

Seeing your little monster makes me want to make room somehow...
Do it! Hehehe. There’s always room for one more tank :D