A clean slate

rattle1972

i think a terror tank would be amazing! i am working on that at the moment myself.

i still have about 20 of the andinoacara stalsbergi left if you are interested. they are eating great and growing fast!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
rattle1972 said:
i think a terror tank would be amazing! i am working on that at the moment myself.

i still have about 20 of the andinoacara stalsbergi left if you are interested. they are eating great and growing fast!
rattle, Ive seen your andinoacara stalsbergi in some pics you've posted and they are very nice looking. I am still needing to a major scrub down of my tank before anyone new goes in but I will keep those guys in mind.

A

Anonymous

I know that type does, but there three species. I though one of them stayed smaller.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Green terrors remind me of miniature umbee... :lmfao: No wait thats Jack Dempsey's

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
As it looks now I will probably end up with a tank full of madness fish :lmfao: I always joked about it but now it looks to be a reality. I will do a major tank clean up and then try and get fish in it by next week. There is no way I can fully break down the tank but I was thinking of multiple large water changes of at least 50% over the next three days and then break down the filters and clean all the media in boiling water to kill the bugs!

Anthraxx

personally id do 100% change out multiple times. and then clean the filters as well. just my two cents. once u get the plague it can be tough to be rid of.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
If I drain too much it might be tempting to just get rid of it :shock: Easier to sell... :suspect:

At this point I just did about 60%. I am going to just keep on plugging away and clean everything the best I can. The gravel vac I did really had almost no junk in it so not a whole lot for the nasties to eat there. I have completely removed the large wood. I will break down the filters and clean them. I just did not want to catch and remove the silver dollars at this point by doing the 100%. It will get a very good cleaning before anything else goes in. Also plugged the UV back in, at this point it wont hurt since I am not actively medicating the tank. This clean up Im doing will require me to cycle the tank for sure!

JK47

DMD123 said:
I actually like fish like the Amphilophus robertsoni or some of the earth eaters but I have gravel and do not want to change it out for sifter type fish.
Actually there is one of the nicest eartheaters in the Geophaginae subfamily that are pretty aggressive for an SA, get past the 10" mark, don't mind harder water and are in my opinion one of the most beautiful cichlids on the planet.. Here is a pic of my young Acarichthys heckelii "thread fin acara" around the 5"-6" mark.

Just saying if you don't go too over the top with uber aggressive tankmates they may be a nice uncommon (and dead sexy ;) ) addition.

51613.jpg

EDIT: oh oh oh what about green bay snooks? They get big like to be in large schools have massive mouths and can be kept with other aggressive tankmates, They will not risk injuring their mouth by lip ocking so hey won't attack anything else in the tank. Whatcha think?? :?:

JK47

Anthraxx said:
personally id do 100% change out multiple times. and then clean the filters as well. just my two cents. once u get the plague it can be tough to be rid of.
I agree as well and would go a step farther. When I got whiped out a few years back by septicemia I moved the survivors to a small tank to treat with oxylinic acid (spelling) and bleached the tanks. Just started over. SD's are bullet proof and could still be a carrier so treating them aggressivly, sterilizing the tank and using them to recycle the tank would be a pretty good idea.

A

Anonymous

JK47 said:
Anthraxx said:
I agree as well and would go a step farther. When I got whiped out a few years back by septicemia I moved the survivors to a small tank to treat with oxylinic acid (spelling) and bleached the tanks. Just started over. SD's are bullet proof and could still be a carrier so treating them aggressivly, sterilizing the tank and using them to recycle the tank would be a pretty good idea.
This would probably be my aproach as well.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks guys, I will go the extra step and do this right.

JK, I have totally wanted a green bay snook for a while now. Can only find the red ones for sale locally.

JK47

DMD123 said:
Thanks guys, I will go the extra step and do this right.

JK, I have totally wanted a green bay snook for a while now. Can only find the red ones for sale locally.
I just saw some listed for sale somwehere, can't remember who had them though. I try and dig it up for you right now.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Update: Have not had time for the full scrub down on the big tank. Its easy when you deal with 30 gallons or so but the time it takes to drain and refill the 210 is amazingly long.

I have as of now done 60% water changes for 4 days in a row. The silver dollars are driving me nuts! :scratch: They are totally scared all the time and I cant even approach the tank without a major spaz out. I guess they miss having other fish that had confidence in the tank. Its almost as if the giant midas made them feel more secure. As of now I can not get them to eat. Very frustrating! I dont know if they are carriers of whatever plauge hit the tank but they show no visible signs of illness, they just wont eat. I feel as if I should just get rid of them.... but I know that when they feel secure they are awesome to watch.

Hope to have some real fish soon!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Another update: today I cleaned out both FX5 filters and put media in boiling water to kill all the nasties. I am going to wait a bit but I feel I am ready to try some fish! :cheers:

Anthraxx

best to let that cycle work in really well. no reason u can pick up stock now and place in a temp tank. its what i did to remain sane during my whole build process.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Anthraxx said:
best to let that cycle work in really well. no reason u can pick up stock now and place in a temp tank. its what i did to remain sane during my whole build process.
Got a fully cycled 29g to use until the 210 is ready. Will be getting smaller cichlids again, starting from scratch. The silver dollars are in the big tank since I had nowhere else to put them. They will help cycle it along with some seachem stability that I have.