A clean slate

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Well after the wonderful outbreak of "the plague" in my tank I am down to my 5 silver dollars.

I lost my 3yr old 11" midas, a 3yr old sailfin pleco, a WC argentea, a WC pearsei. :(

So I kind of have a clean slate. The only thing Ive decided upon is whatever fish I had I will not get again, just dont want the constant reminder that I lost one and this is a rebound fish, if that makes any sense.

I know that I want a community of large fish, I want to keep the silver dollars and would like for at least one fish to realistically get large (over 12") Lots of things you read will claim a fish can get 16" for example but really they usually hit 12" and thats it. In the last tank the big guy was planned on as the pearsei which are known to hit the 14"-16" mark. They can be common fish, in fact I am not going to spend a lot of money to restock this tank. Yep I will even consider something as common as an Oscar, Jack Dempsey, Jag

Ive talked with madness who has a few fish that I am interested in: hogaboomorum, Lyonsi, Xiloaensis, Zonatum

I would kind of like to hear what you would recommend in the way of new fish for the 210g. What combos would you do?
(No Africans, Anthraxx :tongue: )

Madness

Staff member
One other big puppy dog fish is the Bocourti. They will get 16" and can be quite beautiful. I have extras of them also if you decide to come my way for restocking. They are also 2"+ right now.

Sorry about all the BS that has gone on. :(

Zerc

Im still voting for bleekeri!

or if you can find it Andinoacara Rivulatus (silver) (this is probably under $10)

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Bocourti - I like how they look and similar personality to a pearsei but with just a bit more attitude. I really would consider that one in the mix.

Andinoacara Rivulatus are beautiful fish. Dont these have a rep for having issue with internal parasites and can be sensetive to such things?

I dont want a bleekeri, I dont know why, just dont... :scratch:

Zerc

I have heard they are sensitive to HITH, but never anything about parasites.

Festae? i know APFP(or they did a week or two ago) has some for i think $5 each.

A

Anonymous

210 guppys.... sorry had to say it...... this is my favorite thing, palning a tank. Sorry not any help, but have fun!!!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I do have a betta in a 2.5g that could go into the 210g... :scratch:

Man that thing would get HUGE!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks vw, I needed the guppy humor! :laughhard:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I actually like fish like the Amphilophus robertsoni or some of the earth eaters but I have gravel and do not want to change it out for sifter type fish.

Madness

Staff member
Okay 'D' here it is. Keep the desease invested silver dollars, :lol: JK..... Add Bocourti, Hoga, Lyonsi, Zonatum, Robertsoni, Rhytisma.

Bocourti: Mildly aggressive, easy to care for, 14-16", yellows, with greens and org.

Hoga: Aggressive (besides the lyonsi, the least agg Amph), easy to care for, 10-12", beautiful yellowish body w/red chin and in fins.

Lyonsi: Mildly aggressive, easy to care for, 10", great reds and coloring patterns.

Zonatum: Aggressive, easy to care for, 12-14", lots of blues, and some red.

Robertsoni: Mildly aggressive: easy to care for, 10", lots of blues, and some reds & greens.

Rhytisma: Mild, easy to care for, 8-10", Lots of blue spangling, reds, and greens.

Thats my idea. Then a couple cool exotic plecos, and some red finned loaches or other bottom feeders. Maybe a cool Syno cat.

Good luck.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
And a convict that I am growing out! :tongue: dont forget to put that beast in the list. Even my wife commented how crazy and hyper that little guy is.

Thanks for the suggestions madness, I will probably take you up on the Bocourti, Hoga, Zonatum and Lyonsi. I am really just tempted to move a couple bristle nose into the 210g and call it a day on plecos.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Anthraxx said:
you suck dave! howd u know i was gonna say that.. lolz
You have been wanting another African junkie in town, and you've only said it to me like a million times! :tongue:

A

Anonymous

Nice stock madness... souunds cool. Here's my idea, 5 silver dollars, 3 peacock bass.... useuall 9.99 at apfp.. grow out those bad boys...

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I like peacock bass but they would just get too big for my tank!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Really I think even a single bass would be too much for my tank. They easily hit 24". If my tank was 30" wide I would try it.

A

Anonymous

I thought one of them only got to 16"... I am probably wrong, but I. Could swear I read that somewhere. I think a few of them, with silver dollars, a few fancy plecs. And you have yourself a really nice S. American setup... or you could try 2 pairs + the s/d's 1 pair gold saum, 1 pair feastea... I'm just trying to keep you geographicly correct. I was going for a set up like the later mentioned at one point, but my male g/t jumped, so I got rid of the rest. It would be really nice.