A blank canvus.....

A

Anonymous

Alright, yeah I'm a big fan of the renas as well I love mine. But as you said I love aquaclear as well. And since price is an issue I will probably go with the aquaclear. Unless I find a used rena or something.

Madness

Staff member
Check Petsmart in your area. They are discontinuing the Rena filters. I picked up 2 x Xp3 for $100 ea and an Xp2 for $68 about 3 weeks ago. Lakewood and SouthHill are all gone. :D

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
How about a Marineland Emperor 400? I have a new one in the box... Plenty of filter for a 29g... cheap...

A

Anonymous

Never used marineland before... will look into it. And will also look into cheap renas.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
The 400 is a HOB biowheel filter rated for up to 80g. I bought this on-line and was going to use it on my 29g. I then purchased the new Marineland LED top for the 29g and found out the filter did not fit with the lid. I ended up having to get a Penguin 350 to fit the 29g. I got the filter for around $45, so I am wanting $20 for it. Like I said its new, I peeled off the upc and got a $10 rebate but otherwise unused.

Betty

Staff member
Fish_n_vw, I gave an AC 110 away not too long ago, but I might have another one laying around here somewhere... I'll see if I can find it. If money's an issue and you're not in a rush and don't mind an ugly used one, you can have it.

A

Anonymous

I'm going to buy Ds emperor from him tomorow. But if you do have ac 110 you want to sell, I will buy it from you as well, I have a tank that could use a little more filtration. Let me know how much you want for it, and when your able to meet up and I will glady purchase and meet. Thank you for the offer. I'm mostly just trying to jump on getting this tank set up before D and madness come over and beat me up for taking to long. I am not fully broke, just don't have 70$ right now to buy new. Again thanks for the offer and let me know please.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Hey for $20, new in box you cant go wrong!

The only thing I would do is mod the filter media. Dont waste the money on the cartridges! I am working on this with my Penguin 350. I bought these to use: http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4136+11352&pcatid=11352

I bought 1 kit and a couple extra of the plastic clam shells for $1.19 a piece and am going to use the blue bonded filter material and sponge in mine. And according to Marineland you are NEVER supposed to replace the bio-wheel...

A

Anonymous

For some reason I thought this was an emperor, still marineland has good stuff too. I have never used it before but I read good things. I wonder witch of the clamshells they sell fits the marineland.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Emperor is a model line made by Marineland. This is considered their "Pro" series. The Penguin stuff is a little lower end. The clam shell and filter system I linked are aftermarket. Marineland would love for you to spend the money on their filter media :roll:

The filter your getting does have two new filter cartridges with it, so its ready to use.

A

Anonymous

Alright so this bad boy is all put together and I took pictures, and uploaded them to photo bucket... yeah!!!!!!

D dropped by to bring me the filter that he had for sale, and I went to the landscaping yard and got rocks, then picked up some sand..... yeah!!!!!!!

Then I set it all up... yeah!!!!!!

I'm happy!!!!!!!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Im glad the filter worked out for you! Cant make fun of the blank canvas no more....

Looking forward to some pics. :D

Your fish were looking real good when I stopped by, keep up the good work! :spoton:

A

Anonymous

Thanks and I have the pics just haven't posted them yet.... anticipation!!!

A

Anonymous

Alright first pic is for Betty

IMG_20111015_160319.jpg

Its not pretty back there, but it does give me enough room to get to the tank for general upkeep.

K remeber this.

IMG_20111010_150049.jpg

Now it looks like this.

IMG_20111015_163436.jpg

IMG_20111015_162143.jpg

IMG_20111015_162155.jpg

IMG_20111015_162201.jpg

As you can see there's still air bubbles and its pretty cloudy. But I am happy with the scape. Now to cycle. I
am going to speed up the process by seeding the filter. I am not to sure I'm happy with the lighting its a little dark, but it looks cool at night, its like subtle light.

IMG_20111015_190700.jpg

Obviously I don't have my shells in yet, they will go in when I move the multies over. Anyway hope you enjoyed. And I will update as I add fish and as things play out.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Looks good!

The filter seems to be a perfect fit. :D

Now you got me wanting to get my empty 29g set up... your such a bad influence! :D

A

Anonymous

Thank you, and I'm not a bad influence..... fish isent a bad habbit. At least I'm not pushing crack on you or something. I am happy with the layout of it all. But its pretty dark, might be looking into some new lighting soon. I don't know we will have to see, I kinda like it darker, but I think it would be more "showy" if I had brighter lights on it. And since its in the wall kinda showcased I might want to make it a little more showy.

A

Anonymous

Oh and the filter is spot on for what I wanted. Thank you. And all the fish in my 180 ate that food as well, and they seemed to like it.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
The Xtreme?

I wish I would have got the bigger 3mm stuff but thats what the company recommended to me and I listened. :suspect:

But on a happy note Omega One was on sale at Petco so I stocked up and have food for a while now.

Glad the small pellets worked out for your fish! :D