A blank canvus.....

A

Anonymous

Just thought I would start a thread for my 29 in wall. Those long time members will remeber this tank as a planted tank, a saltwater, and a meekii (firemouth) tank. Well I'm setting it up as my tanganyikan tank now. So far the fish I am thinking about trying out in her are; my calvus, my multies, 1 pulcher, 1 jullie ornatus. And that is it. Here's a picture. I have plans to get some substrate this weekend, and would like to visit a local landscaping company to look for stones as well. Not much to the picture but we will watch it evolve.

IMG_20111010_150049.jpg

Dont mind the construction of the house please.... its a complicated, ongoing project.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Looking forward to seeing how you set this up!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I am waiting to see what you do... still looking for ideas for my 29g. :D

I have a feeling I will have some sort of small community set up. I have a bristle nosed pleco I can put in it so far. I am researching dwarf pike right now...

Have not given up on an African tank, just not sure yet.

A

Anonymous

Its good that you have the ability to not be compulsive. Me and madness just by everything we see and worry about setting up more tanks later.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I am a little compulsive, I do have three bristle nosed plecos in my 120g :lmfao:

When you do see them its a real treat!

Madness

Staff member
That tank in the wall like that, really looks sharp. Cant wait to see it completed.

A

Anonymous

Thanks madness. I put it in like 2 years ago. I can't wait either.

Betty

Staff member
It looks really nice. Do you have easy access in the back to do the maintenance? Any pics?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Its funny that the house fish_n_vw is in is the exact layout of the house I grew up in. He has of course remodeled a few things differently than my parents house but I never had thought about putting a tank in where he did when I was growing up. Pretty cool little spot for a tank!

A

Anonymous

There is a spot I have access, but it looks like crap. I will post some pics before the tank is setup.

VsKitchen

The tank in the wall is really striking. I'm very interested to see how it evolves.

+1 to Betty's questions. When I got my first tank this winter, I told my mom about it. She was less excited then me. :) After a bit more talking it came out when I was young we had a fish tank in the wall of the basement and that it was much less than convenient or fun for her to maintain correctly. We moved out of that house when I was 5 so I don't remember it at all.

A

Anonymous

I have found it to be no more dificult to maintain. But no matter howw hard I try there's about 1/5 of the tank I can't reach when I need to srape algea. So I have to use a magfloat. Other then that its all the same.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Im getting bored with the whole blank canvas, when are we going to see some fish in it? :D

A

Anonymous

Umlike spyral, I take my time, we will some substrate, and if I can source enough rocks at the right pirce, then those as well this weekend. I promis to update as I go, but it will not happen over night. I still need to get a filter as well, I'm trying to decide between a small canister, or a aquaclear. But this weekend I will be putting substrate and possibly rocks in. Since I'm going to try and do this tank right I'm going to be a little picky with the rocks I use. And I don't do anything except hang with the family and work on the week days aside from my water changes. I'm happy to see someone anxiously waiting (like I am), but we both know that the best tanks are thought out. So this is how I'm gonna do it. I move slow, I am not one to just jump when I'm planning, I'm sorry.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Just messing with you! :tongue:

Im still working on my 29g. I have the stand built, have filter, heater, thermometer, and I just put a back ground it. It is pretty much ready to go, need sand or gravel and then just fill it up. Still unsure about fish :scratch: , I do have a couple bristle nosed plecos and a ton of ideas...

Madness

Staff member
OK now, this post is 3 days old. And that tank is still empty. Is your Elongatus Heaterii to aggressive in there, that you cant add anything with it?

Lets go, if you have time to explain to us what you want. Then you have time to accomplish what you need to do. :D

A

Anonymous

Well, I have more time then cash, so its gonna be a slow going process. Sooooooo sorryyyy!!!! Lol. What do you guys think aquaclear/ or small canister?

Madness

Staff member
I love the Rena canister filters. I would throw an Xp2 on that baby and call it good. Then again an Aquaclear 110 or 70 will do the job also. Love these as well.

Pet Mountain I find has the best prices.

Aquarclear 110 is $62 and is good on 70-110 gallons: http://www.petmountain.com/product/aquarium-power-filters/11442-512916/aquaclear-aquaclear-power-filter.html

Xp2 is $110 and is good on 75 gallons: http://www.petmountain.com/product/aquarium-canister-filters/11442-107524/rena-filstar-xp-canister-filter.html