75g or 65B wet pet ideas...

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
I have a line on the smaller least aggressive five stars right now.

they are wild caught and simply amazing.... though expensive. I’m going to get 2-3 shipped to me next week.
These are the hemichromis elongatus moanda. Stunning fish and my favorite as they are the only ones out of the three that won’t kill everything else in the tank and they stay the smallest averaging 6-6.5”... these are the ones with the nickname: five star general! I’ll get a pic

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
3DA1607C-D5F8-4868-8CC9-8D6492FAB194.jpeg
As you can see these aren’t beating each other up like the frempongi or killing each other like the fasciatus....

the frempongi have the best red coloring ( though you know have a trimac) are the middle sized ones and aggression wise are about an 8.5 out of 10

the fasciatus are the meanest cichlid I’ve ever owned.... more aggressive then Dovii, umbee, butterkoferi, any Amph .... just pure killing machines. They are the largest of the five spots and have more orange red that bright red coloring and for Aggression it is a 15 out of 10

the elongatus are beautiful from the side and smaller and as for aggressive behavior they are only a 6 out of 10

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Bleekeri or now called polleni are the most common to find in the US and probably still my favorite of the species but I really want to try nourissatti! They are beautiful and nothing like any fish I’ve kept before.... let me get a pic from a group I’m in

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Here they are.... a bucket list fish for me. I hear that they may be available in both Texas and Florida but I haven’t found anyone who ships 5E8157D6-C93E-4658-BD1D-C985970A92E6.jpegFCCBD9AC-C60A-4EC4-94B5-6206DCF6F75B.jpeg

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Here is a cool graphic from that page... the Madagascar cichlids aren’t labeled but man they are stunning pics!D88DE6B9-2A12-4F64-8439-6E57557745C9.jpeg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
A lot of passion @lloyd378, thats a lot for me to think about.

Digging the 5 star general, but I have so many cichlids now... I was hoping to try something different. But then I already have oddball and wet pets covered. I still feel like a catfish or something I dont already have. Just need to find that fish that speaks to me.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
A lot of passion @lloyd378, thats a lot for me to think about.

Digging the 5 star general, but I have so many cichlids now... I was hoping to try something different. But then I already have oddball and wet pets covered. I still feel like a catfish or something I dont already have. Just need to find that fish that speaks to me.
So a squeaker catfish? Haha

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
I’ve always secretly wanted to try those little killifish. The pictures are so beautiful but I’ve never seen any locally forsale and I wouldn’t spring for shipping for such a small little fish.

but I think they would be cool in a tank with live plants... but a 65 may be far too large to even see them!

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Or an eel tank would be awesome.... fire eel, tire track, and spotted eel with something swimming up top

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
I think butterfly fish are really cool. I’ve never kept them though. If you had floating plants for them to hide in would be fantastic.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Well since starting this thread the 65B has become a community tank with angels, tetras, gourami, bristle nose pleco, and Raphael cats. It is pretty empty looking and needs something else in there like swordtails or something along that line.

As for the 75’s... well they turned in 90 gallon tanks instead. One has a trimac that has been a very high maintenance fish that is not very outgoing and the other 90 has had some RTM growouts from @lloyd378 and a Petsmart devil that will eventually go into the 300.

Anyway I bring this thread back up because I am not sure what else to add to the 65B community and I might consider doing something different with one or both of the 90’s. I am just a bit bored with the current fish in there.

Keiji

Well since starting this thread the 65B has become a community tank with angels, tetras, gourami, bristle nose pleco, and Raphael cats. It is pretty empty looking and needs something else in there like swordtails or something along that line.

As for the 75’s... well they turned in 90 gallon tanks instead. One has a trimac that has been a very high maintenance fish that is not very outgoing and the other 90 has had some RTM growouts from @lloyd378 and a Petsmart devil that will eventually go into the 300.

Anyway I bring this thread back up because I am not sure what else to add to the 65B community and I might consider doing something different with one or both of the 90’s. I am just a bit bored with the current fish in there.
Boy what a tough place to be in. Contemplating changes in not just one but 3 large fish tanks...

Since downsizing to fish tanks with smaller foot print, planting them. Over the years the inhabitants evolved to accommodate the planted tank scene. When I get to that place where a change is pressing (yearly) the focus is usually on decor. DYI aquascape projects, intake and water current experiments, and so on.

I do remember the days I housed monster fish and do miss it so. Do remember switching out fish from time to time. Usually when the fish outgrew their home, lol. I always felt bad growing monster fish out, then having to give them up when they reached 2 foot and I could not get a bigger tank. This is one reason I began the community tank switch over. At least this way I could keep fish their whole life.

Over the years I've kept just about every species one can think of. Today change is all about neat nature scapes and so on.

Madness

Staff member
I know what you can do you can get in on an order with me from Dan and you can order a couple of the Tomocicla Asfraci, sure they're a bit pricey but they're very rare and I know you can do them wonders. :)

Picture not mine

20210208_074108.jpg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
@Keiji, I recently started live plants for the first time in my 46 gallon bowfront. Again another boring tank, lol. It is home to my arrowhead puffer. He buries himself so the tank looks completely empty most of the time, lol. If I rehomed him than even more choices since I would likely move my community into that tank or my much more active hairy Puffer.

@Madness, that is a cool looking fish, will have to research it. If you decided to order from Dan I would be super tempted to get a group of trimac to grow out. Or I’m still thinking about a group of black nasty cichlids.

Madness

Staff member
@DMD123 Dan has those Haitiensis as well but they are the big hump ones i know u have the same mindset as me I'd stay away from those lol.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
@DMD123 Dan has those Haitiensis as well but they are the big hump ones i know u have the same mindset as me I'd stay away from those lol.
lol, yeah I love a good nuchal hump on a fish that it belongs on but not on the Haitensis, its just wrong.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
For those wondering what we are talking about

This is what I am looking for, the traditional "Black Nasty" cichlid
odo yeah.jpg
This is the new big head variant that hit the market. Makes you wonder if these are "pure". These scream flowerhorn in my opinion, though the rumor is that they were just line bred.
odo yucky.jpg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Been doing more research and decided no to the Haitensis. Even as adults very prone to bloat. On MFK I was reading how one (experienced) fish keeper thought he was doing a good thing giving his big 8 yr old male a larger home and that stressed the fish and it got bloat and died. I want something a bit easier than that!