75g or 65B wet pet ideas...

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
So I guess my big question is in regards the blue dolphins... Do they have "personality"?

sir_keith

Legendary Member
So I guess my big question is in regards the blue dolphins... Do they have "personality"?
That's a tough question, because it means different things to different people, but if I had to guess, I would say that C. moorii do not have the kind of personality that you desire. Large Neotropical cichlids tend to become 'pets' because of their interactions with their keepers, especially when kept in isolation. It's just a manifestation of the fact that these are social creatures, and in the absence of conspecifics, you'll do (Sorry!). A mature C. moorii male won't do that; rather, he will mope around, and hope that someday you will finally figure it out, and bring him some friends, preferably females. These different behaviors reflect the respective social structures of these species, which are largely hard-wired. As you've seen, not all Neotropicals have 'personality,' it varies amongst individuals, but you are far more likely to find the kind of fish you like by sticking to large Neotropicals.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
@sir_keith, Thank you, well said answer that gives me something to think on. Not against the idea of an African tank but at the moment I feel like Im waiting on things like the trimac development and whether I should keep the RTM's, for that matter even my arrowhead puffer that is the most boring pet rock I could own.

If I rehomed the arrowhead I could move my community tank into my 46g planted tank. This would likely take care of algae issues with the two albino bristlenose and have a ton of movement with the tetras and angels. Then there would be a completely free 65B.

The 90 still has my petsmart red devil growing out so its a bit of a necessary evil to keep it running as is with the rtm's as tankmates until the rd is big enough to move.

The other 90 has the unresponsive trimac... I really dont see that changing but Im hoping.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I found some Oscar from Colombia’s Rio Caqueta, tiny things but look pretty cool
Pic found online
2DE7210E-FCDD-41E5-A7DE-24E2E7C7FEE9.png

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I found pics from @lloyd378 of my old wild caught Columbia Oscar from Wet Spot. Meanest oscar Ive eve seen. Not that interesting looking... not much different than the other one Im looking at
9119466777135235755.jpg
-1103598764083411362.jpg

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
I found pics from @lloyd378 of my old wild caught Columbia Oscar from Wet Spot. Meanest oscar Ive eve seen. Not that interesting looking... not much different than the other one Im looking at
View attachment 7822
View attachment 7823
The only problem with oscars is that you truly need to find one in the wild caught or F1 range in the hopes that they don’t end up looking deformed. Too many of the beautiful when young oscars look misshapen when they get older from weak genetics.

I love oscars but they scare me as what you see when they’re little isn’t reflective of their adultness. I think a cool fish for you with a ton of personality would still be a real nice male festae

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
@lloyd378, I totally agree about the Oscar. You remember the red that was with the wild had hith and both grew up in the same tank and water condition. I am a water change fanatic yet still the red succumbed and the wild had no issue.

Im going to say it (flame on), I dont like the male Festae... the female is awesome but I just never saw the appeal of the male.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
@lloyd378, I totally agree about the Oscar. You remember the red that was with the wild had hith and both grew up in the same tank and water condition. I am a water change fanatic yet still the red succumbed and the wild had no issue.

Im going to say it (flame on), I dont like the male Festae... the female is awesome but I just never saw the appeal of the male.
Really? I think they are both amazing but I know you wanted a male wet pet

sir_keith

Legendary Member

There are not too many cichlid species in which the female is prettier than the male, but I can think of a few. Can you? :)

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
lol, I love all the responses! I haven’t seen that much African cichlid talk in a while. (Still not opposed to the idea!)

As to the big, bad, solo male cichlid... maybe mr. trimac will be all that? I have 2 more medicated food treatments to go and then we will see.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I have based a lot of my research on stock available from places like Wet Spot.

When it comes to African cichlids, any recommendations on other places to order from?
Seems my preference is Malawi types.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
I have based a lot of my research on stock available from places like Wet Spot.

When it comes to African cichlids, any recommendations on other places to order from?
Seems my preference is Malawi types.

I have had good luck with Live Fish Direct in Utah, which specializes in African Cichlids. Their stock of Tanganyikans waxes and wanes over time (at an all-time low of 5 species at the moment), but they generally have a pretty good selection of Malawians. LFD guarantees live arrival of all their fishes, and they pack each fish individually in a high-tech little bag.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Have you ever given any thought to other African cichlids like the Buffalo head cichlids found in the Congo river basin area? I once watched a great species only tank of them ( I think it was a 75 w/ power heads as they like swift water). They are super cool fish and one species where I think you could create a colony effect in your 65g.

The last time I’ve seen them offered locally was at the wildside which definitely tells you how long it’s been since I’ve seen them.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
The buffalo heads are cool, a bit on the small side and look to be more bottom dwelling. I would still need to find something for the upper area of the tank since my tanks are taller.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
My trimac is now going through the process of adjusting to not getting caught daily for medicated feedings. Even after 10 days of treatment, I saw a little poop ball that looked like it was covered in white lining. Im giving it a little time to try and settle before I make a final decision on him. He gave me a little glass bang yesterday that gave me some hope.

If I rehomed everything I think I will then I would have two 90’s and a 65B to rethink stocking on.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I spend time out in the garage and I am getting attached to the rtm female. She is so personable. Wondering how a solo female rtm would work out? Thought is to keep her solo in a 65B maybe a catfish/pleco tankmate.

Been looking hard at maybe Cuban cichlid or bleekeri to try in the 90. Really thinking I will rehome the trimac and try something else there too. Something that will max at about 13” and has some personality. A rare oscar is appealing, but highly unlikely to find. Could try growing out some trimac from babies and try it all again. Just feel done with that line of fish. Been very disappointed so I am not excited to try that again.

Wife was okay with me setting up the extra 30 gallon so no need to rehome the arrowhead puffer and a lot more options now.