75g or 65B wet pet ideas...

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Been doing more research and decided no to the Haitensis. Even as adults very prone to bloat. On MFK I was reading how one (experienced) fish keeper thought he was doing a good thing giving his big 8 yr old male a larger home and that stressed the fish and it got bloat and died. I want something a bit easier than that!
I don’t think they are that delicate.... we had a few local hobbyist keep them in less than ideal situations and they never got bloat.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I don’t think they are that delicate.... we had a few local hobbyist keep them in less than ideal situations and they never got bloat.
That is what is so confusing, the stories of these fish are that they have a very high mortality rate. Yet I see quite a few venues of tank raised fish being sold. The other aspect I considered is that they can and do get very large. I have seen pics of 16" males though the internet says 14" more common. I think the fact the fish can hit 16" makes it a no go for the 90 gallon. I remember how large my 16" Pearsei was and how it made the 300 seem small, lol.

So the nasty cichlid is out, and still thinking of what I want to do. If the trimac still is a dud after all my medicated treatments, I might consider growing out a batch of young trimacs to get my big male. I have also considered another oscar. I really miss my Bumblebee and the opportunities to have got a Crassipinnis, Rubroocellatus, and a couple other specific catch locations.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Ideas list based off these fish being in stock at online stores:

90g Pick one of these as a focus fish and possibly add my community fish with it
Red Tiger Severum “Rio Curare” or
Chocolate cichlid

or go African? lol.
Seriously have always loved the blue dolphin cichlid. Would consider a solo male with some other small colorful cichlids.

or something in the 5 star general family?

or a Butterikoferi?

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Ideas list based off these fish being in stock at online stores:

90g Pick one of these as a focus fish and possibly add my community fish with it
Red Tiger Severum “Rio Curare” or
Chocolate cichlid

or go African? lol.
Seriously have always loved the blue dolphin cichlid. Would consider a solo male with some other small colorful cichlids.

or something in the 5 star general family?

or a Butterikoferi?
The sev would be okay long term but I think you would need to move a chocolate to the 300.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
The sev would be okay long term but I think you would need to move a chocolate to the 300.
Chocolate dont get that big do they? Oscar sized is my understanding... If it were something like a true parrot that can get big then maybe? Moving to the 300 would be a no go anyway, the amphilophus would tear it apart. Ive tried it in the past with a chocolate in a 210 gallon.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
@fishguy1978 what about the sev with my agels, bristle nose pleco, Raphael cats and what not? This is supposed to be one of the bigger sevs. Pretty sure my current monk tetras would get ate, would need something just a bit bigger.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
@fishguy1978 what about the sev with my agels, bristle nose pleco, Raphael cats and what not? This is supposed to be one of the bigger sevs. Pretty sure my current monk tetras would get ate, would need something just a bit bigger.

Everything but the tetras should be ok. I had tetras in the 90g when I first got the H.N. and pretty sure she ate them. She leaves the Cory cats alone. The H. Liberifer is in with an angel pair and there's a little aggression but not terrible. I have all 3 of my rafael cats in the 120 as well.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
...or go African? lol. Seriously have always loved the blue dolphin cichlid...

Well, I'm partial to Africans, so if I had a spare 90 lying about I'd go with the Blue Dolphin Cichlid, Cyrtocara moorii. These are not very aggressive cichlids, especially by Neotropical standards, and grow to a nice size, purportedly ~10", although I've never seen one that large. They do not do well with more aggressive fishes, and I wouldn't even think about keeping them with Neotropicals (for many reasons), rather, I'd set up the 90 as a species tank with one male and 3-4 females. Not the easiest maternal mouthbrooder to breed, but not the most difficult either, so fry might be a possibility. It's always fun to do something different. :)

Blue-Dolphin-Cichlid-600x300.jpg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
There are a few African cichlids I like but dont think I can mix them well with only 90 gallons.

@sir_keith, what are your thoughts on this mix for a 90?

Here was a mix I was thinking of:
Cyrtocara moorii x1 male
Iodotropheus sprengerae small group
Labidochromis caeruleus small group 1 male / 3 females
Nimbochromis venustus x1

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Chocolate dont get that big do they? Oscar sized is my understanding... If it were something like a true parrot that can get big then maybe? Moving to the 300 would be a no go anyway, the amphilophus would tear it apart. Ive tried it in the past with a chocolate in a 210 gallon.

They get ~12in so it might work but I think a larger space would be needed.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
There are a few African cichlids I like but dont think I can mix them well with only 90 gallons.

Cyrtocara moorii x1 male
Nimbochromis venustus x1

That's not something I would recommend. First, C. moorii are social fishes, and they are never at their best when kept as single specimens. Second, Mbuna, even relatively non-aggressive species like those you've listed, are too hyperkinetic for C. moorii, and make them nervous. If you want to keep C. moorii with other Malawians, I would suggest a small group of 'Peacocks,' perhaps something like this 'Sunshine Peacock,' Aulonocara sp. stuartgranti 'Marlieri'-

c367231918eb55652bfd5e0979dceeae.jpg

Betty

Staff member
The N. venustus would do better in a bigger tank. I think they usually recommend 125 as a minimum. Ninety would be fine to start with though. I used to keep a N. polystigma until it outgrew my 75 and I gave it to a member here. He was a beautiful fish!

sir_keith

Legendary Member
The N. venustus would do better in a bigger tank. I think they usually recommend 125 as a minimum. Ninety would be fine to start with though. I used to keep a N. polystigma until it outgrew my 75 and I gave it to a member here. He was a beautiful fish!
C. moorii don't do well with the bigger 'Haps' because they are too easily bullied. That's why Aulonocara are reasonable tankmates: they're smaller and relatively low-key.

master chi

Cyrtocara moorii x1 male
Nimbochromis venustus x1
I sort of agree with keith on this.except I see no reason they could not thrive in a 90g with a Labidochromis Caeruleus harem.I'd definitely skip the Rusties though. Adding them and Yellow Labs will bring the activity in that tank up by a lot. in my experience Iodotropheus Sprengerae are more aggressive than rumored. At least 1 level above Yellow Labs.No reason to go with just 1 Crytocara Moori either. As Keith eluded to they do great in groups.Actually they often seem to bunch together,almost like schooling when kept in a harem. Maybe do 1m4f L.Caeruleus,1m4f C.Moori,and throw in 4-6 synodontis Lucipinnis? But of course Aulonocara would also be a great choice for C.Moori tankmates.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
I have done Frontosa a few times in the past but in my 125 and my 180. Beautiful fish, but super skittish and knowing you, I think you would not enjoy that very much. It’s the same reason I sold my two separate groups ..... not the personality I was hoping for.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
...Beautiful fish, but super skittish and knowing you, I think you would not enjoy that very much. It’s the same reason I sold my two separate groups ..... not the personality I was hoping for.

I agree. Frontosa are cute when they're little and relatively active, but as adults they are extremely mopey. If you like fishes with 'personality,' this is definitely not a species you will enjoy.

Some people keep front0sa and C. moorii together; others have found that this is not a happy combination. I would never keep them together because my personal preference is not to mix Malawians with Tanganyikans. Moreover, these species share a common niche, so there is always the potential for conflict. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but sometime. I prefer tanks in which the occupants are comfortable being together long-term, for example, Xenotilapia and Ophthalmotilapia. And for sure frontosa are way to big for a 90.