65B finally getting put to use, lol

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Nice oscars! They say carbon can contribute to HITH too, not sure if you have it in your growout. Megalodoras!!! My dream fish. Hope you can get your hands on one soon, my friend.
I dont use carbon, Ive heard that too. Just bad genetics in a fish that has been inbred too much to achieve the look. Im still plugging away at it.

Finally got tired of it and moved the little wc oscar into the 300 with the big boys... it looked pretty small but had to be at least 6 inches. I really need to update with pics. Soon....

FishBeast

I dont use carbon, Ive heard that too. Just bad genetics in a fish that has been inbred too much to achieve the look. Im still plugging away at it.

Finally got tired of it and moved the little wc oscar into the 300 with the big boys... it looked pretty small but had to be at least 6 inches. I really need to update with pics. Soon....
Should be beefy enough to avoid getting munched. At any rate it'll probably put on an inch a week in such a clean tank! Getting along with Porkchop I imagine?

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Hith is a bummer! There is no way I can believe that one of your fish got it, as I can attest to your superior Fish husbandry

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
The wild caught is doing so good in the 300. Not a single poly has looked at it as a snack... yet. lol. All the fish are just ignoring it.

I really love how the red is turning out but cant believe it has Hith. Still trying to get it looking better but still a fight. Im doing hardcore water changes on it yet still a little crater between its eyes.

FishBeast

The wild caught is doing so good in the 300. Not a single poly has looked at it as a snack... yet. lol. All the fish are just ignoring it.

I really love how the red is turning out but cant believe it has Hith. Still trying to get it looking better but still a fight. Im doing hardcore water changes on it yet still a little crater between its eyes.
Keep up the WC and dose some meds! Here’s to your red O! Keep us posted. Good to hear that the Colombian is doing well. :)

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Keep up the WC and dose some meds! Here’s to your red O! Keep us posted. Good to hear that the Colombian is doing well. :)

I dosed with metro but I think what Im seeing is the little scar mark still. It just is in a very noticeable spot between its eyes and it just is not healing the way I would like. This is super frustrating since I have put so much time into this little guy and it has an awesome personality. Im doing a hardcore daily water change routine right now and have rinsed out all stuff in the filter too (all with tank water) to make sure it is as clean as clean can get. Just super slow to heal.

In thinking I might do a metro food mix and see if that changes anything ...

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
A little update. The red oscar still has the little crater between the eyes and the edges are white like it is not healing. I have been doing massive water changes on a daily basis and it just does not look any better. I dont want to over medicate with metro but I feel I have to go another round with it. Still thinking about doing it in the food instead of the water.

The wild caught is swimming around a lot in the big tank and none of the bichir have really paid it any notice but I have yet to see it eat anything. Seems nervous with the big cichlids who are totally ignoring it. Not sure what to do with the little guy....

FishBeast

A little update. The red oscar still has the little crater between the eyes and the edges are white like it is not healing. I have been doing massive water changes on a daily basis and it just does not look any better. I dont want to over medicate with metro but I feel I have to go another round with it. Still thinking about doing it in the food instead of the water.

The wild caught is swimming around a lot in the big tank and none of the bichir have really paid it any notice but I have yet to see it eat anything. Seems nervous with the big cichlids who are totally ignoring it. Not sure what to do with the little guy....
Yes definitely try giving it in the food! For the WC Oscar do you think putting in a small pot or hide that only he can fit in would make him less skittish? Or you could get some dithers like giant danios but the polys will probably eat them unless you got them adult sized already.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Will try medication in food.

My concern with a hiding spot is that polys would want in or trap the little thing in there to eat. Lol

Last edited:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Started a medicated feed mix on the little red yesterday. It has been totally weird since I moved the wild oscar. The first thing it decided to do is eat the four skirt tetras and then its been really pouting... lol

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Well I got one feeding of the medicated food fed and now the little monster decides to hunger strike and wont eat any more of it. I heard metro can have a bad taste to fish but I tried to hide it with other food items mixed in but to no avail. I really love the look of this little guy but he is getting to be a pain... might just rehome him. Maybe someone else might want to take a shot at him. Ugh, frustrating little guy!

FishBeast

Well I got one feeding of the medicated food fed and now the little monster decides to hunger strike and wont eat any more of it. I heard metro can have a bad taste to fish but I tried to hide it with other food items mixed in but to no avail. I really love the look of this little guy but he is getting to be a pain... might just rehome him. Maybe someone else might want to take a shot at him. Ugh, frustrating little guy!
Sorry to hear that! Maybe switch back to medicating the tank water? Although some of it may be scarring and he may never look pretty... :(

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
You might be right... it could just be scaring. The edges of the crater between his eyes is still whitish around the edges which makes me think its not 'healing'. Maybe it is just a bit of a scar... He has a cool personality and would look great as an adult in the main tank but Im just done with this hardcore water changing and all the work on this tank. I still have meds but I will not buy anymore... If I cant kick this with what Ive done then its time to figure out a new course of action or let someone else try their hand at it.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
By the way, Rapps has M. uranoscopus in stock :)
so tempting...

update on the red
IMG_20180926_182508762(2).jpg

HITH
IMG_20180926_182648918(1).jpg

FishBeast

Beautiful fish, too bad about the scarring. If you can live with an "imperfect" fish then he/she will be a stunner when adult!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Beautiful fish, too bad about the scarring. If you can live with an "imperfect" fish then he/she will be a stunner when adult!
I like the little guy and think it might not look so bad as it grows, it is still little so it may be less an issue when full grown. But I really dont want to add any more fish to the 300 right now so I am going to rehome him. I put him up on the box for free....

Betty

Staff member
Wow, he is a beauty. Sorry it isn't working out -- these fish can be so much effort to take care of!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Betty, The little guy seems to be doing fine just a little scar for a bit.

Update on the little wild oscar in the 300. He is a pill! He has been ‘flexing’ his muscle at the heterospilus. It is hilarious since the size differences are so huge. But he is a bold one.