65B finally getting put to use, lol

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Ive had an empty 65B that was supposed to be a hospital/QT tank but it has just sat in the shipping crate for over a year now. I finally decided to set it up as a grow out.

My 300g is looking empty and I need to add something so..... I decided to look for an Oscar. I know a common fish for sure but I think a good mix for my tank and it would have plenty of room. Im interested in some WC Columbia Oscars that Wet Spot has. Looking to get 3 and grow them out until I see a keeper for the 300g.

Hope to update with some pics soon.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
In the process of getting the final quote and shipping date for the Oscars.

@lloyd378, might have a nice wild caught oscar for you when I raise out the one I like.... lol

This what Im hoping the oscar will look like:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I did it! Fish are on order to come in on Friday!

Just need to get the 65g filled up and ready to use.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I have a tracking number!

Ive always had a soft spot for Oscars but for some reason have preferred the natural look of a wild caught over the typical 'tiger' oscar sold in the stores. The ones I have on order are not my favorite but a decent looking fish non the less. My favorite was one I had a few years back, the Rapps Bumblebee
20jk7lg.jpg

These were called Astronotus orbicularis which has been debated on as to whether this is a legitimate name or if this is basically astronotus crassipinnis.

Not 100% sure the Columbia are my sure thing keepers but I do like them. If the orbicularis or crassipinnis came back up for sale I would be tempted for sure.

More updates to come when the new fish get here.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Just saw Rapps new stock list... he has Astronotus crassipinnis ‘Araguia’ coming in. I might just have to put in a order for more Oscars.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
The little guys came in today... and I do mean little, lol (1.5")

Order from Wet Spot

Well packed with heating pad and each fish bagged individually

Not pretty but set up a 65B to grow them out in, I did add some plastic plants after I put the little guys in there and still waiting on a background to come in

Floating, double bagged so hard to see details

Oscar #1

Oscar #2

Oscar #3

Typical Oscar behavior, went straight to the bottom to sulk in the new tank

More updates to come as they settle in.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Not that I like pressuring you, but...... do it!

This is what I could find on Astronotus crassipinnis ‘Araguia’, a little different than the crassipinnis I had seen in the past but again a good looking wild oscar.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
A bit early to tell but I think the smallest one has the pattern I like the best. The light lines seem to have a crisp distinction to them. But who knows as these guys grow out.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
These guys are so tiny. At 1.5” they disappear in the tank. They have eaten bloodworms and are hiding a lot. Hard to picture these becoming big outgoing Oscars but I know they will. I almost feel like adding something to the tank to help them open up. Maybe some small schooling fish... future food tankmates.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Get a small school of guppies....
Thats kind of what I was thinking, or maybe just slightly bigger like platies. I know a guy on MFK raising one of these and he has had it eating up tetras that were raised with a different oscar with no problems. The hunting instincts seem strong with the wc.

My old Bumblebee oscar grew up with Australian rainbows and never ate a one. They grew out together with no issues and he never thought of them as food. He was an F2 so maybe a little bit out of his system because of that?

Probably will look for something to add this week as a dither to make the oscars more at ease.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Was looking at old pics and found an old tiger I had...
dsc02810.jpg

It went from 2” to 11” in 6 months time. I was not happy with its lack on contrast and it always looked dark. But it did have a nice shape to it.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
They would be cool if they kept those white markings instead of red .....personally , I prefer them either all red ( no tiger stripes) or natural looking tigers..... the ones that are half white and half red are always such a crap shoot when they get older.

But you are right, body shape and face are the most important to me

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
These guys are so tiny. At 1.5” they disappear in the tank. They have eaten bloodworms and are hiding a lot. Hard to picture these becoming big outgoing Oscars but I know they will. I almost feel like adding something to the tank to help them open up. Maybe some small schooling fish... future food tankmates.

Hey, I've got all the Endlers you can stand over here....all sizes. You're welcome to some for these guys. My giant koi angels and the African Bush fish all enjoy a live snack now and then too.

I love that there's an Oscar thread going. I kept Oscars in the 80's and early 90's until mine died of old age and I got an iguana for their tank. They're personable, fun fish -- very interactive -- at least in my experience.

LOVING this THREAD.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Well Rapps is showing the Astronotus crassipinnis ‘Araguia’ for sale. They are 2” and $50 or price goes to $45 each if you get 4 or more.
cras.arag1.jpg

Tempted, but seeing the pattern and video Ive seen of this catch location does not seem to have that cool banding that was available some years back.