Some new updates
IMG_2215o1.jpg

IMG_5518o2.jpg

IMG_5518o3.jpg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Looking good! Where are you keeping Oscar number one At?
He is in a time out net in the tank. I have released him quite a number of times now and each time he starts to bite at the other wild. He gives the red respect and wont challenge it at all but always goes at the other wild. It is beyond simple pecking order stuff. Oscar #2 it pretty close in size to #1 but not enough where #2 puts #1 in its place. Oscar #1 is a bold fish with a ton of attitude. Im going to try some more to try and see if oscar #2 gets big enough to stand up to the other fish but I feel the rehome is having to come sooner than later. I was hoping to wait till they were about 5” but looks like its going to happen at the 3” stage.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Well down to one wild oscar now. After multiple attempts at getting the fish to get along with the others, Oscar #1 was rereleased and all seemed well. Came back hours later to find it had been picked on and basically descaled like the last oscar was. I had not seen any real bad aggressive behavior so I thought it was going to work out. So now Oscar #2 is the offical keeper from the wild Columbia batch.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Very strange to see how skittish Oscar #2 is. There was a boldness when all three wild Columbia Oscars were in there but now it tends to shadow the red Oscar a lot and runs whenever I enter the garage. The red has proved to be a very calm, mellow fish that has shown a little dominance toward the wild O but nothing overly mean or aggressive. Im hoping the wild O will get bolder but it is still a pretty small at a little over 3" now. Got them eating Hikari gold mini floating pellets, frozen beef heart and blood worms. I dont feed the beef heart regularly through out there life just at the small stages to put on growth. After I finish the pack Im done with it.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Im really curious how this guy will turn out. Does not look like the typical store bought tiger...

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Ordered a catfish to grow out with the oscars
6FD6F2B1-6B12-4EDF-9BDA-5E38D5059A19.png

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Dang, he’s crazy! Tell us more about him.....
These guys are gentle giants. You can keep them with tetras from what Ive heard. They get big, with adult sizes up to 24 inches. I hope to be able to keep this for its lifetime but we will see if it outgrows the 300. They almost look like a prehistoric insect as adults.

Here is what an adult can look like
DI7RTQwUwAAAKu5.jpg

They are slow growing with growth rate at about an inch per month till they hit one foot and then it really slows down. So hopefully I can enjoy having this cat for quite a few years.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Well it looks like Im going to have to wait a while on my cat. The vendor said the fish had a bad eye. Im glad to see a vendor who wont ship out any fish if it is sick or has issues.

So he just got in a new shipment of fish and is supposed to let me know if there is another Irwini in there. Hopefully just a little bigger than 3".... Will keep you guys informed

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Nice!

I was at the Wetspot last week and saw more Oscars just like your wild caught one.... one looked amazing. Great pattern and super personable. I was going to grab him, but I don’t have a tank that would work with a fish his size ( too small)

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Any news on the catfish?
I dont know what happened to the original with the eye issue.... I hope they treated it and did not cull it out.

Sadly they did not get anymore in as of yet so the seller gave me a refund and Ive just been patiently looking for another Irwini cat to come up. Hopefully can find one from a private seller at least 7-8".... I guess they grow incredibly slow.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Been a while since I updated this. Have been busy with yard work and summer chores around the house.

The oscars are growing but I am dealing with hole in the head with the red oscar. This is where a difference really shows with the wild still looking good with no issues. This really makes me think that my store bought red oscar must have some serious inbreeding to succumb to this so easily. It is frustrating since I do massive water changes and they eat a good quality pellet diet. These are supposed to be the main issues that contribute to this disease. I think its time to switch my treatment to a food that is medicated with metro because in the water just isn’t cutting it. Not seeing any real change.

Anyway thats it for the oscars and hope to update again soon.

FishBeast

Nice oscars! They say carbon can contribute to HITH too, not sure if you have it in your growout. Megalodoras!!! My dream fish. Hope you can get your hands on one soon, my friend.