40G Planted Walstad Incoming...

pbmax

Re: 40G Planted Walstad Incoming...

BillHN said:
I was just trying to say that they actually have miracle gro organic potting soil o.o
I just thought we all agreed that there was no such thing xD, I just thought to revive that dead topic, once I saw this on one of my daily browsing sites.
Sure, except that's not the organic choice.

pbmax

I want to try to soil mineralization, but it kind of takes forever... :( So I figured for an emersed grow container topsoil should be fine. I cooked a sheet of miracle gro organic choice garden soil for 45 mins this morning to kill any potential nasties. Now my house smells like DIRT! :D

On the upside, I should have some (at the moment) fungus- and cootie-free soil for the fail of a glass container (terrarium?) I built earlier this week. Now I just need to cut a top for it, buy some DHG, put the dirt in, and I'm ready to go.

BillHN

Hmmmm....... Can I buy some topsoil and bring it over this weekend? XD That way I won't have the same problem xDDDDDDDD
Now that I really think about it...
DUDE whatever you bake in that oven's gonna taste like dirt! Oh no!

pbmax

Hahaha, no. :)

And no, it won't (at least I hope not!). I ran the broiler for a while (which kicks the convection fan on) afterwards so it should be fine. It really didn't smell too bad...

BillHN

Ended up visiting pbmax and madness' lairs this weekend, then I partied it out in Renton... So... I'll share pics of new stuff I picked up soon!

By the way, thanks guys for all the stuff!!!! I'm definitely gonna showcase those babies soon!

Gizmo

There's a few members on PlantedTank.net that sell pre-made MTS, I bought some (too much) and gave the extra to Angelo.

wait... pre-made MTS? Oh man, I was thinking "pre-made Malaysian Trumpet Snails" and then I was like "... but... how are snails....pre-made?"

Then it all made sense to me now. LOL . . . . Mineral Top Soil (I think?)

oh man. That stuff you gave me is hard as a rock. It's still sitting in water, and I've been slowly breaking it into smaller chunks. It's still hard to break down, it's kinda got a really hard clay-consistency, which is good, I think. Still going to wait it out for a bit, so that it becomes softer.
Thank you so much for the extra dirt/soil/mineral top soil, Gizmo[/u]!

pbmax

Gizmo said:
There's a few members on PlantedTank.net that sell pre-made MTS, I bought some (too much) and gave the extra to Angelo.
Lucky Angelo. :)

I'm going to try my hand at making some in the forseeable future. I'm just not sure where I'll spread it out to dry....