40G Planted Walstad Incoming...

BillHN

40G Planted Walstad Incoming...

Gonna buy an LED Fixture from Cory.
Picking up a nice Acrylic 40 from a friend, with a nice t5 setup.

Gonna plant it with Bin's HC, and some fissidens, and Dwarf Hairgrass.

I've got some nice wood already.
Can't wait to work on this by next month.
I'll be populating it with H Formosa, H Cory's, and probably Cherry Reds.
Saw a nice sale on Cherry Barbs, may pick those up as well.

Re: 40G Planted Walstad Incoming...

OOOOOOOOH!! I can't wait to see pics!! :D
I wish I knew more about LED lighting, to help you out... but I'm still stuck in the fluorescent age. XD

Lamental Jester

I just got some manzanita online:

http://www.save-on-crafts.com/branches2.html

prices are decent, shipping was super quick, the drawback though is you don't see it till you get it. I haven't used LED yet either, I've been a T5HO guy. But I just got this for a 15 column shrimp tank i'm gradually setting up. I know Lars On had success with her 10 gal with LEDs.

pbmax

Good luck! Sounds like all sorts of fun. :)

Ditto on LEDs... too many weak setups floating around out there. I think there are some threads out there on APC or TPT with lists of LED fixtures and PAR numbers - worth some searching for sure.

Edit: Here's a thread comparing the evo fxture to others:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=193681

lars on

Im all for LED, people keep telling me to return it but my plants are growing like mad under it. Red LEDs are supposed to be really good for plants too :)

I think I'm actually looking at the 48" version of that light for my 55g walstad

Anthraxx

LED's are AWESOME my man. topdogseller(s) on ebay has great prices. got all mine from him and they showed up early, he even shipped a replacement power cord literally an hour after i msged him about it. as for the soil (from all the reading i did back when i gave soil a shot) it all reccomended getting the most basic top soil u can. most of the potted stuff at local hardware stores has a gel type substance that is used to hold more water. not to mention all sorts of non fish safe plant nutrients. GL to ya took me FOREVER to figure out wat potash was lolz.

Lamental Jester

Anthraxx said:
as for the soil (from all the reading i did back when i gave soil a shot) it all reccomended getting the most basic top soil u can. most of the potted stuff at local hardware stores has a gel type substance that is used to hold more water. not to mention all sorts of non fish safe plant nutrients.
As long as he's using the ORGANIC Miracle Gro Potting Mix he's fine. Thats the brand I use (And one of the brands recommended by Diana Walstad)

I 2nd what Lamental Jester mentioned, Organic Miracle Gro Potting MIX (not Potting SOIL)... :D

pbmax

I don't think there is an organic choice "potting soil" (at least my googles and bings are coming up empty). As long as it's organic choice and potting you should be fine.

Oh good. I just remember reading something about it having to be potting mix, and not soil. Dunno where I read it, or IF I read it, or maybe my mind is just playing cruel tricks on me. AHHHHH!!! D:

pbmax

Yeah, don't get the organic choice soil; make sure it's "potting" :)

You've gone FISHLOOPY! :affraid:

MY MIND IS ABLAAAAAAAZE!!! Too much research will do that to you. I feel like I'm back in college, during cram week. Hahahaha

pbmax

There's a market section for that sort of thing. :) I figured I'd tell you before *cough* Officer Fishbox *cough* read that post ;) :suspect:

LOLOLOL, pbmax, ohhhh... :laughhard:

BillHN, STOP. RIGHT. THERE.
Now, according to the rules and regulations of this forum, you are supposed to POST any ads that contain selling and/or buying merchandise, be posted in the proper section of this forum...

lololol... joking, just playin' with ya :D GUPPIIIIIIIESSSSSSSS!!!!!!

BillHN

The only problem is... can't delete them after matt made his post sooo.... XDDDDD

Hmmm...... Hm.......
I'm thinking about getting 3 portions of STAR MOSS :eek:

lololol... it's a little inside joke between me and pbmax. :D no worries. Hahahaha...
Star moss, never heard of it. Gonna have to google it and see how that stuff looks like :D

Lamental Jester

Star Moss (Tortula ruralis) isn't a true aquatic plant, and you'd be lucky to keep it alive submerged for a few months.