40G Planted Walstad Incoming...

pbmax

Re: 40G Planted Walstad Incoming...

BillHN said:
LJ! Don't troll me! That stuff looked so nice though! :(
You could try some Star Grass - very pretty, but somewhat picky (at least for me).

Star-Grass-Heteranthera-zosterifolia.jpg

Lamental Jester

Phoenix Moss (Fissidens fontanus) is a good alternative to star moss from what I've heard, slow growing but easy to care for
PM_zpsa4d5ece0.png

BillHN

Haha! XD
Btw here's a new 20L Using everything listed above!
With 8 Panda cories (there were 9 but... one just died ]: )

and 5 Molly Fry, and some RCS
20130410.jpg

Oh and I made an office 1 Gallon Walstad too :eek:

Lamental Jester

One thing I would recommend is maybe get more rooted plants in there. Take advantage of the dirted benefits!
roots_zps645e1a37.jpg

BillHN

Lamental Jester said:
One thing I would recommend is maybe get more rooted plants in there. Take advantage of the dirted benefits!
roots_zps645e1a37.jpg
I gots tah buy some man. And it's like 9 bucks for some, but I'll probably take some off of matt's hands this weekend

BillHN

I FOUND POTTING SOIL
Click me

LOL MAN I already speant over 30 bucks on hairgrass!
Some of it got choked out by my subwassertang, soooo I moved it all to a 10g emersed growout tank :eek:

If u Got some I'll buy some from you at the general auction!

Lamental Jester

Where did you get your hairgrass? I need to get a bunch soon for the shrimp tank I'm setting up. Hmmmmm, I might have some green temple good to go by the time the auction comes

omg auction. SEE YOU GUYS THERE!! :D

BillHN, be careful, that miracle grow garden soil stuff sounds like it has lots of fertilizers in it @_@... I'd still stick with miracle grow's organic potting mix. Just to be safe :D

I think I accidentally killed off my subwassertang that pbmax gave me :( . . . I tied it onto a rock, and kept it in a really shallow tupperware thing, filled it up with water, and left it alone for a couple days... I forgot to replenish the water, and so the subwassertang was left to dry out for... who knows how long. :(

I placed the rock with the subwassertang in my 20 gallon tank, hoping that it would rejuvinate, but I think I got to it too late. SAD.

pbmax

Like Poke said :)

Walstad's "official" directions are to go for Miracle Gro Organic Choice potting mix as the others have too many nutrients. That isn't potting soil regardless - it's "garden soil" which is pretty much top soil. I'm going to try using some miracle gro organic choice garden soil in an emersed grow container, but I wouldn't submerge the stuff - too many nutrients, I think.

pbmax

Lamental Jester said:
Where did you get your hairgrass? I need to get a bunch soon for the shrimp tank I'm setting up. Hmmmmm, I might have some green temple good to go by the time the auction comes
Petsmart sells tissue culture topfin branded dwarf hair grass. I may buy some this weekend if they have any...

BillHN

@Matt I saw some last weekend

@Everyone
I was just trying to say that they actually have miracle gro organic potting soil o.o
I just thought we all agreed that there was no such thing xD, I just thought to revive that dead topic, once I saw this on one of my daily browsing sites.

@ Angelo, omg sorry about the subwassertang!
That stuff is really touchy (well, it keeps on slipping off my lines and floats all around) I'm thinking of putting it in a tank where I won't touch it much, but meh. I'll see how it'll do on the 10G.
I spent some bucks getting that stuff from an online dealer, wasn't cheap neither ]:

pbmax

Call me that again and see if I sell you any plants. :evil: