27g - "I'm actually trying to make this look nice" UPDATE 8-5-14

A

Anonymous

Re: 27g - "I'm actually trying to make this look nice" UPDATE 8-5-14

And the long leaf plant in front of the tall woOd?

fishNAbowl said:
And the long leaf plant in front of the tall woOd?
Persicaria 'Kawagoeanum'

fishNAbowl said:
What type of crypts do you have ? I like the bronze tone under the leaves.
Those are Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Bronze.' I love the coloration, and under highlight the stems take on a rich purpley-brown color.

A

Anonymous

I was wondering about the Persicaria 'Kawagoeanum' because I have some plants that looked like the plant in your picture. But looking at pictures on the Internet the mature form looks a bit different. This plant looks like it gets leggy and would look nice growing amongst other bushy background plants. I hope you have success with growing this plant out !

The crypt bronze is a nice plant. I've seen them get pretty big though. But they develop an amazing color.

One of your for ground plants looks like staurogyne Repens. I am trying to grow this plant in my 140. Being two foot deep it's growing super slow. I hope it fills out like yours is doing.

:)

fishNAbowl said:
I was wondering about the Persicaria 'Kawagoeanum' because I have some plants that looked like the plant in your picture. But looking at pictures on the Internet the mature form looks a bit different. This plant looks like it gets leggy and would look nice growing amongst other bushy background plants. I hope you have success with growing this plant out !

The crypt bronze is a nice plant. I've seen them get pretty big though. But they develop an amazing color.

One of your for ground plants looks like staurogyne Repens. I am trying to grow this plant in my 140. Being two foot deep it's growing super slow. I hope it fills out like yours is doing.

:)
Apparently there is still some confusion in the industry regarding Persicaria 'Kawagoeanum' about it's taxonomic status, as there is a Persicaria kawagoeana that may or may not be related  :?: :?: 

Anyways, as far as the crypt goes, this one has stayed fairly compact. I attribute it to the high light available from the Ray2, as I have another cutting of it under a cheap LED hood and it's grown tall broad leaves.

I actually purchased a large mat of S Repens at a GSAS auction, so getting it to carpet was fairly easy for me to do  :lol:lol
You can see the smaller group of S repens on the left side of the tank, that was all from a clipping that I bought at the CoOp awhile ago. This stuff has grown at a moderate pace under the Ray2, I could see how it might take awhile with another 6" of depth!

Here's a quick update:

S. Repens carpet has really taken off, and I love watching the Kuhli's dive in and out of it. 3 SAEs have made short work of the BBA, and now I can really enjoy how my tank looks.

That looks really great! I'm surprised those gouramis aren't going at each other!

A

Anonymous

:spoton: - very nice bronzefighter.

KaraWolf

That looks fantastic!! Busy with fish and greenery.

PokeSephiroth said:
That looks really great! I'm surprised those gouramis aren't going at each other!
Thanks! They do like to chase each other a bit, but for the most part they leave each other alone. Though the 3-Spots are always chasing each other. I think the biggest key to my success with keeping them was that I added all of them at once, and all of the 3 Spots were juvies. So long as there aren't any injuries or signs of stress I'm okay with them.

KaraWolf said:
That looks fantastic!! Busy with fish and greenery.
Thank you!

fishNAbowl said:
:spoton: - very nice bronzefighter.
Thanks!

I thought everyone might get a kick out of this though...here is my current stocking:

:lol:lol:lol

KaraWolf

hehehehe I do get a kick out of it your right! LOL. Makes me feel better when I'm tempted to stock at 120% to fill out schools and whatnot.

KaraWolf said:
hehehehe I do get a kick out of it your right! LOL. Makes me feel better when I'm tempted to stock at 120% to fill out schools and whatnot.
I figured as long as the fish are not physically constrained by their space, and you are able to keep them stress-free and water parameters in check, then stocking levels are more of a...suggestion. Just make sure that you know what you are doing!  :lol!: 

cichlid-gal

Wow...love those plaques...the ones that say "expert aquatic horticulturist". Well done (hee hee...and the tanks looks pretty good too). Nice work Dylan :)

cichlid-gal said:
Wow...love those plaques...the ones that say "expert aquatic horticulturist".  Well done (hee hee...and the tanks looks pretty good too).  Nice work Dylan :)
Thank you! that's my aquatic nerdout corner. I have all 5 of my GSAS Horticultural Award Programs certs framed and mounted there and update them as I move up the levels, along with some other awards I've won. Maybe one day I'll actually put some effort into the Breeder Award Program  :lol