27g - "I'm actually trying to make this look nice" UPDATE 8-5-14

27g - "I'm actually trying to make this look nice" UPDATE 8-5-14

Howdy! I wanted to start this journal to show the continued progress of my 20g FW community tank.

Some background: After seeing some stunning aquascapes, namely Amano-styled and iwagumi tanks, I was inspired to start my own. This tank would have a large amount of planning beforehand. The focus of the tank was to be a dramatic hardscape with a large amount rockwork. I decided on a medium-sized tank- not quite as restrictive as a 'nano' size, yet easier on maintenance than a larger one.

After searching for awhile I found a great deal on a custom 20g rimless. Some of you might know me as that kid with the motorcycle from various plant swaps and meet-ups:
GQXp6TJh.jpg

Equipment was simple at this point, just an AC30 HOB and a 16" Finnex RayII. Plants were all clippings from another tank. The intial setup:
0NFtmQqh.jpg

Added some more plants (namely Dwarf Hairgrass and that bigass Amazon Sword). Also added DIY CO<sub>2</sub> and Red Cherry Shrimp.
2LrDUhp.jpg

Funny story about that wild-type on the right. He was the sole survivor of my first attempt to keep RCS in a Walstad tank (which failed hard), and survived the setup and cycling of this tank. His name is Hercules.
kU1NaNeh.jpg

Added a male and a female GBR.
j8NbLV5.gif
fkGoh2H.gif

Stocking at this point was:

• 9x Harlequin Rasboras
  • 1x Bamboo Shrimp
  • 3x Oto
  • 2x German Blue Rams (who had been breeding)
  • RCS colony

A bit overstocked I know, but working well.

Unfortunately, the GBRs - who had been coexisting peacefully at this point - decimated the shrimp population after they spawned their first clutch of eggs. No more RCS!
YHAPjO4h.jpg

But then...disaster! A few weeks ago, I came home after a long day of work and noticed a very faint, yet distinct 'dead fish' odor in my room. I examined my tank and noticed that the filter was dead. Probably for 2 or 3 days. Lost almost everything.

Due to my crazy work schedule that week and the fact that I had a timer and autofeeder, I didn't check on the tank like I normally would. Those of you with an Aquaclear know how quiet these things can be. Grabbed a new filter - ZooMed 511 canister, I can't recommend this thing enough.
NbU2A7f.jpg

Fast forward to today. Ditched the DIY CO2 and started dosing with Excel and Flourish.
Gave away the Rasboras, as they blended in with the rock too much.
Grabbed some Neon Tetras, and since I was breaking down another tank I moved the Long-finned Serpae Tetras in here as well.
i5OBLdMh.jpg

Long-finned Serpae Tetra are seriously one of the most underrated fish I know of. They are extremely active, and some of my older ones have long flowing fins that could rival a Betta.
7oDtW5zh.jpg

Current stocking:

• 8x Neon Tetra
  • 7x Long-Finned Serpae
  • 2x Oto
  • 1x Bamboo Shrimp

Thinking about grabbing some Neocaridina again, maybe Blue or white this time.

KgMFcUDh.jpg

Thanks for taking a look, and I'll try to keep this updated from time to time!

Seattle_Aquarist

Re: 27g - "I'm actually trying to make this look nice" UPDATE 8-5-14

Hi bronzefighter,

Congratulations, you succeeded.....it looks very nice! The hairgrass, moss, and Cryptocoryne look especially good together with a nice contrast of textures.

cichlid-gal

Your moss looks like trees...I love it. And the tank recovered nicely I would say. What type of moss is that (new to plants...that's my excuse)?

Thank you! I'll have to take the time to get out the DSLR and take some real pictures. Since the base of the tank is square, it allowed me to focus on both width and depth and relating them together, something I'm not used to in long narrower tanks.

cichlid-gal said:
Your moss looks like trees...I love it.   And the tank recovered nicely I would say.  What type of moss is that (new to plants...that's my excuse)?
The moss on the driftwood is Christmas Moss, while the moss on the ground in the beginning was java moss. The java moss has since been removed, it's much too messy for my taste!

MRTom

Is that algae on the rocks then? Looks fantastic!!!

A

Anonymous

Pretty impressive set up.

pbmax

You have a very nice-looking tank. :spoton:  The moss and hair grass are both filling in very well. I hope it all continues to thrive for you! :)

Really nice setup you have there bronzefighter! Definitely liking the moss growth on the rocks! And good job on the hair grass, I'm curious how you're able to have it growing and spreading without co2... I didn't have much luck with my hair grass, and it's in a dirted tank...with decent lighting hehehe... Maybe hair grass just doesn't like me. ;-p

A

Anonymous

:afro:.oO Looks even better in person. I was impressed when I seen it. Great job bronzefighter!

fishNAbowl said:
:afro:.oO Looks even better in person. I was impressed when I seen it. Great job bronzefighter!
Thank you! I was actually a little embarrassed when you saw it! I had a bad outbreak of bladderwort, and to top it off I had an Oto that wasn't doing so good and finally bit the dust when you were over. Plus the melted Eleodea floating everywhere...:oops: 

PokeSephiroth said:
Really nice setup you have there bronzefighter! Definitely liking the moss growth on the rocks! And good job on the hair grass, I'm curious how you're able to have it growing and spreading without co2... I didn't have much luck with my hair grass, and it's in a dirted tank...with decent lighting hehehe... Maybe hair grass just doesn't like me. ;-p
Every evening before I sleep I sing an ancient Scottish lullaby to the DHG. It just needs positive vibes man... Actually once I put the Ray2 on there it took off! But I know what you mean about plants just not liking you. I could not get water wisteria to grow for me...at all :shock: 

Lamental Jester said:
What kinda moss is that?  X-mas?
Christmas moss on the wood, and in the early pictures there is java moss on the ground behind the manzanita.

MRTom said:
Is that algae on the rocks then? Looks fantastic!!!
It is, and thank you! Originaly I was OCD about removing any algae I saw, due to the fact that I just tore down my 55g because of a terrible fight with BBA. I'm talking spot-treating anything that might look like algae with H2O2, etc.,etc. But once I got everything balanced I decided to 'cultivate' the algae growth. I do like the way it looks. Sometimes an aquascaped tank can look so sterile to me, the algae makes me feel like a I have a slightly realistic box of nature in my room.

However much blending species from 2 separate continent can be realistic anyways. :cheers: 

BillHN

bronzefighter said:
Howdy! I wanted to start this journal to show the continued progress of my 20g FW community tank.

Some background: After seeing some stunning aquascapes, namely Amano-styled and iwagumi tanks, I was inspired to start my own. This tank would have a large amount of planning beforehand. The focus of the tank was to be a dramatic hardscape with a large amount rockwork. I decided on a medium-sized tank- not quite as restrictive as a 'nano' size, yet easier on maintenance than a larger one.

After searching for awhile I found a great deal on a custom 20g rimless. Some of you might know me as that kid with the motorcycle from various plant swaps and meet-ups:
GQXp6TJh.jpg

Equipment was simple at this point, just an AC30 HOB and a 16" Finnex RayII. Plants were all clippings from another tank. The intial setup:
0NFtmQqh.jpg

Added some more plants (namely Dwarf Hairgrass and that big-ass Amazon Sword). Also added DIY CO<sub>2</sub> and Red Cherry Shrimp.
2LrDUhp.jpg

Funny story about that wild-type on the right. He was the sole survivor of my first attempt to keep RCS in a Walstad tank (which failed hard), and survived the setup and cycling of this tank. His name is Hercules.
kU1NaNeh.jpg

Added a male and a female GBR.
j8NbLV5.gif
fkGoh2H.gif

Stocking at this point was:

• 9x Harlequin Rasboras
  • 1x Bamboo Shrimp
  • 3x Oto
  • 2x German Blue Rams (who had been breeding)
  • RCS colony

A bit overstocked I know, but working well.

Unfortunately, the GBRs - who had been coexisting peacefully at this point - decimated the shrimp population after they spawned their first clutch of eggs. No more RCS!
YHAPjO4h.jpg

But then...disaster! A few weeks ago, I came home after a long day of work and noticed a very faint, yet distinct 'dead fish' odor in my room. I examined my tank and noticed that the filter was dead. Probably for 2 or 3 days. Lost almost everything.

Due to my crazy work schedule that week and the fact that I had a timer and autofeeder, I didn't check on the tank like I normally would. Those of you with an Aquaclear know how quiet these things can be. Grabbed a new filter - ZooMed 511 canister, I can't recommend this thing enough.
NbU2A7f.jpg

Fast forward to today. Ditched the DIY CO2 and started dosing with Excel and Flourish.
Gave away the Rasboras, as they blended in with the rock too much.
Grabbed some Neon Tetras, and since I was breaking down another tank I moved the Long-finned Serpae Tetras in here as well.
i5OBLdMh.jpg

Long-finned Serpae Tetra are seriously one of the most underrated fish I know of. They are extremely active, and some of my older ones have long flowing fins that could rival a Betta.
7oDtW5zh.jpg

Current stocking:

• 8x Neon Tetra
  • 7x Long-Finned Serpae
  • 2x Oto
  • 1x Bamboo Shrimp

Thinking about grabbing some Neocaridina again, maybe Blue or white this time.

KgMFcUDh.jpg

Thanks for taking a look, and I'll try to keep this updated from time to time!
This is EFFING SEXY!

Anthony J.

^+1^
Love your tank, the contrast, use of space etc. Very well done.

UPDATE!

After getting bored of the current scape, and battling an outbreak of bladderwort, I decided to scrap the tank and redo it.

I parted with my beloved Serpaes, and tossed almost all of my plants.  :( 

I used to have a pea puffer awhile ago, and loved the lil guy. So, I present to you my new tank: the Planted Pea Puffer Plus!

Current inhabitants are as follows:

4 x Dwarf Pea Puffs
2 x Oto
6 x Striped Kuhli Loaches
3 x Amano Shrimp
Current plants are as follows:

Hygrophila polysperma 'Rosanervig' (Sunset Hygro)
Anubias barteria var nana 'Petite'  
Anubias barteria var nana
Heteranthera zosterifolia (Stargrass)
The December GSAS mystery plant...I forgot the name  :oops: 
Vallisneria americana
Fissidens Fontanus (Phoenix Moss)
Eleocharis acicularis (DHG)
Cryptocoryne wendtii var 'Red'
Cryptocoryne wendtii var 'Green'

MRTom

Bummer about the utricularia. Glad you rescaped it tho! Can't wait to see where it goes!

Seattle_Aquarist

bronzefighter said:
Hi bronzefighter,

It was identified as Pogostemon stellatus 'Octopus' however according to some sources it could be Pogostemon quadrifolius ID'ed by Christel Kasselmann as a species new to the hobby:
Pogostemon quadrifolius (Bentham) Kuntze.
Article in the German journal DATZ:
Kasselmann, C. (2013): Pogostemon quadrifolius. Ein neuer Wasserstern aus Laos. - DATZ 05/2013: 54-59.

gsas_m10.jpg

MRTom said:
Bummer about the utricularia. Glad you rescaped it tho! Can't wait to see where it goes!
Yeah, that stuff is annoying... I wonder if I can use it for a HAP entry...hmmmm  :p 

Seattle_Aquarist said:
bronzefighter said:
Hi bronzefighter,

It was identified as Pogostemon stellatus 'Octopus' however according to some sources it could be Pogostemon quadrifolius ID'ed by Christel Kasselmann as a species new to the hobby:
Pogostemon quadrifolius (Bentham) Kuntze.
Article in the German journal DATZ:
Kasselmann, C. (2013): Pogostemon quadrifolius. Ein neuer Wasserstern aus Laos. - DATZ 05/2013: 54-59.

gsas_m10.jpg
Execellent! Thank you for the information. I've heard this plant can be difficult to grow, but I'm always up for a challange  :cheers: