17 gallon rimless journal

Bob

fishNAbowl said:
How do you like the "Dawn" tetra? Do they school tightly?

I really like these a lot, i wish i would have got more. They do school but not tightly. My group of pygmy corys are always trying to school with them as well. It's pretty amusing.

A

Anonymous

Just thought I would add this to the journal. Mainly for new comers. To me this is a natural part of the process but many have ran into this and panicked. Green water - very unsightly however normal in an unbalanced environment. The tank is full of nutrients. The plants are not capable of using up all the nutrients yet. I did notice most plants i planted are slow growers so I pulled some and planted about a 3rd of the tank with a faster growing plant. All the plants within are growing great. Weeping moss has filled the tree up although you can not see it, lol. Cuphea Anagalloidea is a bright orange, and A.R. mini is bright red. And i can see roots have grown all the way to the glass floor. So I figure all is well.

I will include. Out of all the different wierd stuff that can develop in a new high tech planted tank to me green water is at the bottom of my list. And seeing a bit of hard green algae forming is a welcoming sign to start adding cleaner fish like a rubber lipped pleco and or otocinclus, or perhaps shrimp. I have added a small school of corydoras a week ago. They seem happy as can be and are probably enjoying the filtered light :)

My green tank, haha.

KaraWolf

Hahah :D I managed to keep a tank green from when it came inside in the first week of october until last week. Finally got tired of green (more like tired of not seeing fish) and did a 75% water change and while it was still murkey green this week its miraculously crystal clear which I was NOT expecting lol so Im sure yours will go away soon enough :)

A

Anonymous

That's what I'll do eventually. A large water change in a couple days. I've been dosing a bunch of Excell to kill off diatoms and other funk. It's worked but green water has taken its place. I went through the same process with my 29 gallon. I am sure in a week it'll be clear! I'll update with a picture at that point.

@ Betty, 12 FIN :D

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Love the lake affect ( green water) time for some cold water species in there.....

A

Anonymous

Okay, journal update. Tank has been green for a while now with no end in sight. My patients has run its caurse. knowing green water isn't a bad thing but just and annoyance to the hobbiest I've been slowy adding fish. Even though I am unable to see them , there is a school of dwarf type cory cats, a school of rosy raspora and a pair of German rams that are now occupying the tank.

I've rerouted plumbing so all the inline equipment is now in the stand and not out the back and added a inline UV sterilizer. I am hoping the UV and a couple large water changes this week will irradiate the greenwater Issue. The plants look okay and are growing well just can't see them, (or the fish), lol!

Here is a picture I took today after a large water change. I call it "Late Winter Evening Fog". Haha, d'oh!

A

Anonymous

PokeSephiroth said:
Beautiful German blue Rams!! :-D
Thanks Poke, I think they look super too! Aquarium Zen has pairs of these, and then wierd colored ones called electric blues. I went with these because they are a bit more natural colored and there is a tank full of pairs. These guys have awesome colors from blue to pink. Cross fingers for clear water tank shots by this Sunday :)

A

Anonymous

flamechica said:
Wow! You have more patience than I, fishNAbowl! That green water would drive me batty!
I'm getting there. It's been a month, I'm starting to combat it.

A large water change last night. Cleared tank, now I hope UV sterilizer will keep things under control.

Betty

Staff member
I really like the look of the "tree".

I have a clump of java moss that has been surviving and actually growing in a pleco tank. I wonder if I could do something like that with it...

fishNAbowl said:
flamechica said:
Wow! You have more patience than I, fishNAbowl! That green water would drive me batty!
I'm getting there. It's been a month, I'm starting to combat it.

A large water change last night. Cleared tank, now I hope UV sterilizer will keep things under control.

Maybe add floating plants too? Two birds with one stone: they'll soak up nutrients and cut down on the light in the water column. If you outright kill the green algae in suspension with UV, I would be afraid of another form of algae, and not the plants, being second in line.

I'm just throwing out ideas. I have no idea what I'm talking about when it comes to high light CO2 on ADA soil!

If you have not already, I wouldn't hesitate to throw questions about getting "ADA" style tanks past this point at Steve @ Aquarium Zen, especially if you got some fraction of your gear or fish from him.

A

Anonymous

Betty said:
I really like the look of the "tree".

I have a clump of java moss that has been surviving and actually growing in a pleco tank. I wonder if I could do something like that with it...
Thank you Betty. Java moss is a different type of beast. Although I've seen Java moss grow compact it normally just explodes into a chaotic mess in my tanks. Other mosses that have a tendency to grow flat or compact are normally chosen for this type application.

MattArmstrong said:
Maybe add floating plants too? Two birds with one stone: they'll soak up nutrients and cut down on the light in the water column. If you outright kill the green algae in suspension with UV, I would be afraid of another form of algae, and not the plants, being second in line.

I'm just throwing out ideas. I have no idea what I'm talking about when it comes to high light CO2 on ADA soil!

If you have not already, I wouldn't hesitate to throw questions about getting "ADA" style tanks past this point at Steve @ Aquarium Zen, especially if you got some fraction of your gear or fish from him.

Hi MattArmstrong,
I've toned down light duration quite a bit which has helped. Consulting with Steve about the ADA Aquasoil he says the product releases ammonia which can effect algae growth. That with 100 PAR at the substrate algaes can be expected upon start up (new tank syndrome).

When I started the system up all those other algaes began rearing thier heads. I then dosed flourish excel. Those other algaes backed off but the water turned green. I waited a month but it wouldn't go away. This is day 4 since the UV installation. No green water, no other algaes (knock on wood).

I should have waited a week or so before doing this but I pulled out a bunch of Stargrass and replanted a few other species of plants I originally wanted to go with in this tank. Again, knock on wood, fingers crossed.

A

Anonymous

Page 2 post #12 is the most recent taken 2/12. I have since pulled some of the stargrass and planted a couple other species of background plants, added more AR mini, and added large Blyxa J. I'll get more photos soon.