17 gallon rimless journal

A

Anonymous

The goodies. 17 gallon rimless, small canister filter, inline heater, compressed CO2 system. Lighting is a AquaTop pendent (7,000k) that's temporary.

Gotta install ball valves. Makes life so much easier.

The installation.

Something new - lilly pipes. Not sure if I will like these. I've already snapped off a suction cup knob. I can imagine keeping them clean will be like all other glassware. Having one set installed, a second soaking in diluted bleach. Keeping them installed will depend on the PITA factor. Right now they are right at 10 on that scale...

Substrate, something I never used before. So far I like it. Very easy to plant in without breaking roots.

Substrate added, hard scape added.

Plants,

And a tree.

It'll definitely have a different look once cleared up and the light changed out. I'll update progress and write a review on the CO2 system , the aquasoil, the Super sand, and the new light I will be getting. Lighting I am thinking about going with something different. Perhaps ADA or Build My LED. Just want to try out something different we all are not using currently. Suggestions always welcomed.

Current plant list: weeping moss, cuphea anagalloidea, Cryptocoryne lucens, S. Repens, Bacoba A., Blyxa J., A.R. mini, pogostemon helferi, nesaea pedicellata golden. I also have a small form african fern bolbitis currently in the tank. It'll probably be removed.

Current fish: none

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
Re: 15 gallon rimless journal

With the ADA and the CO2 your plants are going to grow out of control. I know how much just my ADA made a change in my plant growth. Let alone adding CO2 as well! Tank looks great! Love the layout!

A

Anonymous

lymitliss said:
What exactly are lily pipes for?
They are just the water pick up and return but made from glass. The design you see produces a gentle flow of water from the filter.

A

Anonymous

Being transparent they are a bit less conspicuous than the normal water pickups and returns.

lymitliss

That's great! I'd love those on my Fx6. The flow from the return is kind of abusive for the fish in my tank.

A

Anonymous

lymitliss said:
That's great! I'd love those on my Fx6. The flow from the return is kind of abusive for the fish in my tank.
Think they are pretty spendy - $100 or so. I traded a big chunk of woOd for them. I am sure we could figure out how to defuse the current on your canister output if interested. I have a 1200GPH pump on my 140 and have defused it into a gentle waterfall.

A

Anonymous

Phone photo! Odd angle, trying to diminish the glare. The glassware does look good.

Looking at lights I have my eye ball on one but it's $300 , ohh gezz...

A

Anonymous

Build completed with ADA AQUASKY 601 LED. Don't mind the skimmer. I use it during trimming :)

A

Anonymous

Thanks everyone!

Fish ideas?

There are so many of them. Was thinking Betta, Apistogramma, a small schooling tetra I do not already take care of. Hmmm... killifish?

If anyone would like to throw out suggestions they are more than welcome :)

KaraWolf

Micro rasbora :p I just picked up pygmy spotted rasbora since cory was out of the chilli rasbora. OMG theyre awesome tiny fish. With 17 gallons youcould get a million (not really but it would look like it hahah) looks fantastic!

A

Anonymous

Vicmacki said:
fishNAbowl said:
killifish

:D

Edit: Actually probably a bad idea with an open top
True! I have to keep that into consideration. How do you like the "Dawn" tetra? Do they school tightly?

KaraWolf said:
Micro rasbora :p I just picked up pygmy spotted rasbora since cory was out of the chilli rasbora. OMG theyre awesome tiny fish. With 17 gallons youcould get a million (not really but it would look like it hahah) looks fantastic!
I googled micro raspora, 3 species came up. These definitely shot to the top of the list!

KaraWolf

I had plans on the chilli rasbora ( Boraras brigittae ) because of how much red theyre supposed to get but Cory was out so I picked up the pygmy spot rasbora who LOVE my tank and currently have beer guts from too much frozen baby brine shrimp in attempt to feed my scarlet badis LOL its adorable. Theyve been in my 5 gallon for 4 days and already act like they were born there.