15L build, 10g shrimp grow out, 55g Walstad

lars on

Re: 15L build, 10g shrimp grow out, 55g Walstad

So on my way home I happened across a newt/salamander thing sittin in the middle of the road. A year ago I caught one walking across an even bigger road but it was almost a foot long, this little guy was probably 5", would love to have these guys in a cool tank some day.

IMG_0581_zpsb25f6ee5.jpg

Dang, that 1' long newt must've been heavy. Did you try picking it up? I'd be scared to! =P hahaha!! Cute little fellas when they're small though. Aww!

MikeB

i know a group of people taking surveys to see where road sightings are; so if you recall the road and or a nearby intersection that would be awsome.. i kept one as a kid that was male about 9" and after keeping it for about 2 years let it go in the same area. btw if anyone is interested right now is a good time to check marshes for the egg masses they lay..

lars on

So cute! They have little frog faces and sticky little toes! I only caught this guy a half mile from my house, the other one on a back road I take to get home, can definitely pm ya the intersections. :)

Here's the little monster from a year ago. Little bit bigger!
IMG_0587_zps0274ac53.jpg

Can they be kept as pets in an aquarium? Granted, it should probably be kept in a separate aquarium, and I know some people are iffy about keeping wild animals as pets, but... you know what I mean.

pbmax

I found one in my water meter box down near the street a couple of years back. I was always really excited to find these when frog hunting as a kid :)

What exactly are they called? ARE they newts? Or are they Salamanders? . . . Or are they Salanewts? LOL. =P

pbmax

Newts typically have external gills and live their whole lives in water; that would make this a salamander.

As far as I understand, the biggest challenge to keeping one is that they require a cold tank - likely below room temperature is best.

Oh I see, good to know! Hmm... yeah I s'pose keeping water cold can be a challenge, I guess they're best kept in a tank outside then? =P

Anthraxx

wish id have known you guys were after these little guys. as my friend and I have been clearing land out at his place for farming (mostly undergrowth from 6+ years of no care) we have come across quite a few of these guys. easily a dozen, plus all the voles/moles/frogs/weasel thing (honestly dont know wtf it was) etc. my personal fav was the garter snake nest, itty bitty hissing committee :p

lars on

DAWWW garter babies! Yeah I find Em on super cold rainy nights, such neat little guys! I'd rather find them outside then have to buy a chiller or something.

MikeB

So without considering legalities... and i wont.. they make for cool pets, i kept mine in the garage in a 55 gallon tank as a kid as my mom wouldnt allow for the tank in the new house with wood floors so when i found one my dad said i could use the tank in the garge. My dad figured id only have interest in him for a week little did he know i kept him for 2+ years before letting him go.. i fed mine that was about the size of your crickets and worms or whatever else i might have found.. they are evil and fast little eaters... one quick gulp and its gone.. i guess like a packman frog but salamander style? the key is moist and well often dark so the garge was great.. mainly had gravel in it with some grass and moss on one side gravel on the other id mist err once a week or 2.. grew about 1 in if memory serves me and deffinitly got fat before being let go.. hit me up for more info.. not sure if you can get them to breed in captivity (never tried) but i keep axolotls and breed them weekly.. working on other species atm... hit me up with your sighting locations of road crossings.. they ie group im working with talk to dot for aminal crossings and are looking at maping out high traffic area for animals.. you would be surprised how many crazy stories i hear about or pics i see where 50+ salamandes in one pic crossing a road.... :)

lars on

Little herds of salamanders?! Dear god!!

Alright, well just had a big scare with the 55. It has 14 cherry barbs, well 13 now. Sister calls bitching about how the nitrates in my tank SKYROCKETED and has already killed 6 of them, this is at 9:30pm, I tell her to check the water and see how warm it is, heater is for a like 160+g tank. She said its cold then hung up. 6 fish aren't dead, just gaspin, and the tank is a nice warm 90 degrees plus, my dear sister, 19 and claims to be all knowing fish expert didn't unplug the heater, which you could clearly feel through the freakin acrylic. Did a 1/4 water changed, added ice cold water from the outside hose, 10 minutes later peace has been restored! Only had one casualty ): uneven number now. And my brand new magnum 250 canister filters propellor is SHOT! Haven't even had it a month yet!

HOpefully you'll find an impeller for your filter at the swap! :)
IT'S OFFICIALLY SATURDAY!! Just a couple more hours now!

RIP Mr. Cherry Barb :(

Lamental Jester

Wow, thats scary with the heater. You should see what the temp stays at without the heater. I shut my heater off on my walstad and it stays a nice 78 degrees. I've heard that a heater isn't really needed for NPTs as long as the temp in your house isn't abnormally cold.

lars on

Did not know! Do you have your tank near any doors though?

A

Anonymous

Wow Larson, that sucks!! The impeller must be defective?! I dont see the connection between the heat raising and the impeller going out....?

Is the canister still under any kind of warranty?