15L build, 10g shrimp grow out, 55g Walstad

lars on

15L build, 10g shrimp grow out, 55g Walstad

Going to make my 55g into a planted tank hopefully. Wanted to do a trial run in a 10g I had. Got some API first layer stuff from petsmart, some plant boost, and 30LED Marineland light.

Fish wise I either want to do bosemani and cardinal/neon tetras. And plant wise I want to do mostly low light.

I want to do a walstad tank, but using plant soil in a fish tank freaks me out a bit, and the gas pockets that can form freak me out even more.

Plants so far are :
Anubias
Hornwort
Ludwigia
Dwarf hair grass
Amazon Swordx7
Argentinian Swordx4
Micro Sword
Guppy Grass
Frogbit
Water lettuce
Duckweed
Java Moss
Rotala indica
Water wisteria
Melon Swordx2
*Tiger Lotus bulb
Onion
Aponogeton
2 sprouted tiger lotus bulbs
Anacharis

IMG_1153_zps4422f8b5.jpg

IMG_0333_zpsc921de66.jpg

So again, no idea what Im doing really, winging it and learning as I go. Might even just drain the 10 and do a walstad. Feel free to give me any advice, please please please hahaa Having a really hard time finding information I can understand.

Re: 15L build, 10g shrimp grow out, 55g Walstad

Cardinal/Neon Tetras all the way!!!! Those tanks are beautiful! :)

If you manage to find some Rummynose Tetras, you'd like em too, because they swim around in REALLY tight groups!

lars on

ohh those guys do stick together! Looking at neon tetras tonight they werent even remotely schooling. Think if I do a school Im gonna try and find some pearl gourami, forgot how pretty those ones are.

I have come across another sort of speedbump. Thinking of the driftwood I want to put in the 55 eventually I forgot that its got an acrylic top, cut outs and all. So probably no big one centerpiece

If you do plan on putting Rummynose Tetras, please let me know where you got em! The only place I've been able to find them was at the B&I Pet Center, in Tacoma. They're almost worth the trip. They also sell Neon Tetras for like 50 cents per fish, which is a great deal, even compared to Petsmart's $1 deal they have from time to time. :D

lars on

I actually found them in farmland for 6$ a fish after I picked up the plants from ya! :) They JUST ended the 5 for 5$ at petco, my 55 has a couple days before I can put fish in again. The only other cheapest ones ive found are 1.50$ at farmland.

Do they have a better selection than the stuff over here? I might just go over there instead of seattle this thursday.

Oh man... yeah, Farmland, way overpriced for rummynose, they're like $1.99 at B&I, but I s'pose Farmland will have todo for now. hehe...

B&I has a good selection, although, I've never been to the stores in Seattle. . . hehe

lars on

IMG_0363_zps3d5979dd.jpg

IMG_0360_zpsc1ebcf00.jpg

Still murky, but ive already noticed the plants are growing!

lars on

After watching some videos on youtube Im gonna skip the trial run on the 10 and just go for it. Worst thing thats gonna happen is it cycles again.

Tried to find Miracle gro Organic mix just driving by some other local places but was a no-go. Gonna hit up home depot, lowes, walmart, ace, and some other places. Walmart had some miracle gro 20lb bags for 4$ but not the one I was looking for and need to check the local craft/arts stores for the red clay balls. Not gonna soak the soil for a week or two, just gonna throw it in there. Saving all the water from the tank and going to use most of the already existing gravel, just add more black gravel to break up the river rock.

lars on

Running around today I completely forgot about the red clay. think Im just gonna get an iron suppliment as most of my plants have pretty good roots.

Found the Miracle Gro Organic Mix 10$ for 32qts.
Bought new gravel at Petco, 40lbs brown mix for 26$
Got some new plants as well, micro sword and mongo grass(?)
Also picked up a little betta I wanted a month ago, 1" peach vieltail female betta.

Gonna do a half water change on the 55 again today, tank is still in the light green 1.0 zone. Save half the water and use the exsting kinda crap gravel to line the sides and to build a little bank in the back.

The 10g is clearing up nicely and all the plants are growing. The new betta is attacking all the leaves, but enjoying her new tank all the while!

IMG_0368_zpse199b99e.jpg

IMG_0369_zps402b400c.jpg

IMG_0375_zpsad0238e7.jpg

IMG_0377_zpsc6d4eea2.jpg

IMG_0378_zps460ad017.jpg

That mondo grass...return it. They sell that stuff as an aquatic plant, but it's not a true aquatic plant and well end up dying after a couple months :( better get your money's worth back! Eeep!!!

Beautiful Betta!! Squee!!!

A

Anonymous

Also, the green and white leaf plant in the front right is a terrestrial plant. I learned that the hard way about 2 weeks ago :x

Anthraxx

id suggest the addition of a good solid glass lid. in their native habitat, bettas frequently jump from puddle to puddle, so long term i think u may be asking for trouble with no lid. plus the evaporation rate will really get cut down with a lid :). online is the cheapest ive found, GL to ya. great tank in the making. dont forget also that many of the GSAS guys are plant lovers, probably get a lot of stuff u need a lot cheaper then a LFS or the web. and with plants shipping is cheap

lars on

Really? Bloody hell. Ive been trying to find it too. Thanks :)

Glass lid is a really good idea, ill return my stupid plants and put it towards a lid, already caught her stuck in the water lettuce. Is there an online type place for GSAS?

Anthraxx

they have an airstone forum type deal but its very.... well outdated to say the least. (tech wise) just google greater seattle aquarium society. they meet down near ballard/fremont area (just 3miles or so from the bremerton ferry terminal) off the top of my head the following people are active members, fishloveron, betty, flo77, seattle aquarist. all are members here and often post stuff. im sure a cpl messages or a few hours for them to read this and youll be in the right direction in no time :)

PS: i only reccomend a glass lid because they look neat on planted tanks. very clean and streamlined. just be cautious of cats... the lids just wont support em :p
011-2_zpsc550fd1c.jpg

Anthraxx, what a cute cat! Looks just like our 20 year old cat, ZsaZsa! :)
Anywho, Lars On, yeah definitely take those plants back and avoid them like the plague! LOL

Anthraxx

yeah poke hes a Maine coon (mostly) adorable little guy but man he tests me constantly.. i hate how smart he is :wall:

Our little Zsazsa is clever too, and she has trained us to be her human servants. Oddly enough, she doesn't care for the fish, but she does like to sleep on the sofa, right next to the aquarium. Possibly more for the warmth, than the fish. Hahahaha

A

Anonymous

lars on said:
Going to make my 55g into a planted tank hopefully. Wanted to do a trial run in a 10g I had. Got some API first layer stuff from petsmart, some plant boost, and 30LED Marineland light.

Fish wise I either want to do bosemani and cardinal/neon tetras. And plant wise I want to do mostly low light.

I want to do a walstad tank, but using plant soil in a fish tank freaks me out a bit, and the gas pockets that can form freak me out even more.

Plants so far are :
Anubias
Hornwort
Ludwigia
Amazon Sword
and some other things I dont know the name of

So again, no idea what Im doing really, winging it and learning as I go. Might even just drain the 10 and do a walstad. Feel free to give me any advice, please please please hahaa Having a really hard time finding information I can understand.
I think you have a good start here. I would defiantly get a top if your going to put fish in as suggested. I think most of the plants you have will grow under this light. If you get browning of the leaves you could try a product called flourish EXCEL. Otherwise once a week water changes to replenish trace minerals should do okay.

:D

SerenityNow

Definitely get a lid to keep the betta from jumping! We had one jump out once and he was never the same after that.

Keep us updated on your 55g. I'm sloooooowly setting mine up to be a planted tank also and I'm curious to see how you do yours. :)