What did you do with your tank(s) today?

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Have you tried SeaChem Paraguard? I've had really good results with this formulation for external parasites...

I have not tried Paraguard. My medicine cabinet for the fish room is limited to cupramine, aquari-sol, and blue dye. I will look for the Paraguard though.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Sorry to hear about the pleco.

Having had silver dollars in the past, they are pretty hardy, but when they do get sick it usually is something external like that. Almost everyone of the red hooks I got seemed to get stressed and get fin rot. Some responded well to Melafix and Pimafix treatment but it’s something I dont really like to do because it isnt real ‘medicine’ so to speak and it reduces oxygen in the water. Ive seen fish struggle to breath using this treatment. Could add air stones to help counteract.

When I have actually used Medication, I found Seachem Kanaplex to be very effective since it can be absorbed through the skin. Or it can be mixed into food with Seachem Focus which is a binding agent. The feeding method can be super effective because of the aggressive feeding nature of silver dollars. If they are still eating, then the kanaplex food mix gets inside them and seems to work even more effectively.

The blue dye treatment is also something Ive done but usually only as a bath. I know you pulled your biological out to treat since the dye will kill that. Im surprised that the dye treatment did not help... there is another treatment that involves the use of hydrogen peroxide used in a bath. That would be more last resort. I would say the Kanaplex route would be the method I would take first.

Thanks, I will have to check into those.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Contributing Member Level III
I have not tried Paraguard. My medicine cabinet for the fish room is limited to cupramine, aquari-sol, and blue dye. I will look for the Paraguard though.
I've been really happy with this product; quite an improvement over the old school medications. I had a shipment of wild-caught Tanganyikans come in a few months ago, and they were pretty battered up around the edges, but Paraguard cleared everything up in just a matter of days. Good luck!

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
There are several raised white areas on a couple of Dollars. Just behind dorsal. Not ich and not fuzzy. I have carbon in the filters and am adding Stability. I will return the filter media tomorrow.F79D4AC0-534B-431D-AC5E-58C73B4BB668.jpeg28E35A82-1512-479E-A4B6-DB75BB1E15FE.jpeg

Last edited:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Noticed the aggression level getting high from the dominant Petsmart Red Devil. Decided it was time to move him. Put him into the 300 gallon last night. Did well from the start and was eating soon afterwards. The Hoga pay no attention to him since he is so little.

This is one that was moved
IMG_20191128_164237738_BURST000_COVER_TOP(1).jpg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Worked on the 65B with the hairy puffer today. Pulled the overkill filtration out. There is no need for an Eheim 2217 canister AND an Aquaclear 110 on a solo 5” puffer in 65 gallons of water, lol. I decided the Aquaclear was more than enough.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Couldn't resist Live Fish Direct's 25% off sale when they had Tropheus moorii 'Kambwimba' available. There are several Tropheus populations called 'Red Rainbow,' but I think this one is the nicest. I've been looking for these for a while, and will have 12 of them arriving next week, 3 females and 9 unsexed. Always fun to get new fishes! :)

tropheus_moorii_kambwimba.jpg

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
I added two more pea puffers to the 55g, 3 total. Wish they weren’t $10ea. I’m going to try adding more to build a school and then select male and females and try spawning them.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I added two more pea puffers to the 55g, 3 total. Wish they weren’t $10ea. I’m going to try adding more to build a school and then select male and females and try spawning them.
Puffers rule! lol

I love my lurker puffers. The hairy and arrowhead both have their own tanks and were expensive but they are so personable. I heard the pea puffs have a huge personality for such little fish. Love to see pics of the little puffs.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Puffers rule! lol

I love my lurker puffers. The hairy and arrowhead both have their own tanks and were expensive but they are so personable. I heard the pea puffs have a huge personality for such little fish. Love to see pics of the little puffs.

They can either be really chill or huge a*. But they are still really cool. The one puff I have had in the tank was checking out the new ones. I’m hoping it doesn’t decide to destroy them. I will see if I can get some pics.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Caught any puffing up yet? It is amazing to watch them inflate.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I am not sure if the pea puffers do puff up. I haven’t seen it happen.
I catch my hairy and arrowhead puffing all the time. The pea puffs have the same ability just need to see what triggers it. Mine seem to respond to their reflections.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Moved the wild-caught Xenotilapia singularis that I received 3 weeks ago from their 55g quarantine tank into their new home- for now at least- a 100g with my Ophthalmotilapia nasuta 'Kipili Gold colony.

18.jpg

Did a 70% water change on the quarantine tank in anticipation of the shipment of Tropheus moorii 'Kambwimba' Red Rainbow that will be arriving tomorrow. Fun times!

534e96c985049abfbf0f0e072fa5207b.jpg