What did you do with your tank(s) today?

John58Ford

Sounds like it's still being siliconed..guessing glue is "temporary" to hold in place.
Usually, we lay a bead of silicone around the bottom pane, then on the two outside panes and stand them all up together, holding them with masking tape, or for heavy tanks you can use corner guides and cabinet clamps. If you get to the point where you can cut a precise -1/16 off 3 sides of the front and rear, and off the bottom of the sides, you can use tile spacers to make sure the silicone is an even thickness and cures evenly. After those initial structural seams cure, we cut any drips with a razor, mask off a border and lay the sealing bead around the inside of the tank, making sure to smooth it quickly and peel the masking while it's wet for that factory or better look. When re-sealing, we only cut that inner caulking bead off using a 90 degree caulking remover/knife, or by very carefully using a straight blade being sure not to cut the structural glue. Then we mask and re-seal

This process is the only way I've seen glass done, I would love a walk through using super glue as a layup assistant as the structural bead can be a chore and set up too fast in a lot of cases.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Ordered on 08MAY and delivered today!!! Fish Tanks Direct in Florida has the best price on the 2.2lb package.IMG_20240510_152041426.jpg
A little smaller than I was hoping for. The pellets are 4mm.IMG_20240510_154104617~2.jpg

Last edited:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
@fishguy1978, assume you are using those for Mary Jane? Basically like Massivore but in a floating stick form. Hikari has a couple of those products that are hard to find a good equivalent to. I use Massivore on my Red Wolf and its been a great food.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
@fishguy1978, assume you are using those for Mary Jane? Basically like Massivore but in a floating stick form. Hikari has a couple of those products that are hard to find a good equivalent to. I use Massivore on my Red Wolf and its been a great food.
Yes, for MJ! I didn't want to go with massivore after the "stench" reviews :sick

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, for MJ! I didn't want to go with massivore after the "stench" reviews :sick
What smell? lol

Northfin make an Arowana stick also, not sure on pricing or even size. Northfin foods are pretty highly regarded, like NLS, but doesnt mean the fish like it. I think when I tried their kelp wafers my plecos hated them, and plecos are not that picky!

Oscars Rule

I'm not following any threads on this build you're doing but I'm very curious. You used "super glue" meaning cyanoacrylate or some "super" glue like goop etc? I don't think I've seen traditional super glue used on a glass tank before so I'm very interested in your process.
Same here; I've never heard of a glass tank being held together with anything other than silicoi use

I'm not following any threads on this build you're doing but I'm very curious. You used "super glue" meaning cyanoacrylate or some "super" glue like goop etc? I don't think I've seen traditional super glue used on a glass tank before so I'm very interested in your process.
I use "glass super glue" to hold and bond the glass together before the silicone. The glue is very thin so it can penetrate in between the glass panels. I learned this from a tank manufacturer I just can't remember which one.

Oscars Rule

Same here; I've never heard of a glass tank being held together with anything other than silicone.
I use it for the better bond that way I'm not relying on silicone just to hold all 5 panes of glass together. And if I remember right on kg tropical YouTube channel they went behind the scenes at a fish tank facility and they use super glue to bind it before they use the silicone

BPSabelhaus

@BPSabelhaus just love those colors with fish that get that natural light!
They can get reddish orange on the top as summer progresses :) At some point I'm going to get over myself and breed some very large bodied and finned guppies for an annual tub pond. Not sure what to do with them the rest of the year though lol I hate looking at them from the side lol

Later today, maybe tomorrow:)

Finally getting a better idea on the sexes.

G23 (orca looking orange that will get redder) F
Butterfly koi with blue M
Small orange with white tail tip M
Phoenix (finless) Likely F
Fanny fantail F
Raven large black. Thought Female, still TBD showing zero behavior either way right now. Biggest fish probably knows when it's actually time. The teenage boys are being teenage boys lol

The large female Dojo Big Momma has been out, but I saw Dr Zoidberg woke himself up finally. Hopefully they spawn soon too. They did last year, but no babies that I have seen. This year the eggs are going in their own pond.

PXL_20240511_175910208.jpgPXL_20240511_175348040.jpg

Seperated these two from the spawning group leaving only the butterfly and females.

First spawns :) Hopefully more tomorrow. I put these mops into some green water and put new ones in for tomorrow.
PXL_20240511_225805130.MP.jpg
Moving the mutt Endlers outside to free up a 5 gal for the eggs. Or maybe to move the disabled Betta to and put the eggs in there. It's more pond like. Options options lol Glad the warmer weather is here.

Last edited:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Typical weekend of tank cleanings and spending a bit more time with the new Ranchu feeding and getting them used to seeing me. The cuteness factor is very high with these guys, hopefully this doesn't taint my fishkeeping where I get into blood parrots or flowerhorns next, lol.