Amphilophus tank idea...

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
The midas really look good. Almost ready for them. A little bit to do but soon.

Love those lemon oscars!

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
You better hurry as I’m falling in love with the Midas! Haha but the good think is I got enough so you’ll have plenty to grab!
6 large 1” ( two of these are showing signs that they may be creamsicle .... loving them and the two that have orange bodies and red fins)
2 medium 3/4”
5 small 1/2” ( some of these are already fading which is unbelievable to me)

E6563E72-C1AB-4C66-82C9-045BBCBD3B32.jpeg AE1E93FE-4461-4FBA-B16F-5E2A7724BD7F.jpeg 9CF5FDDC-D881-4FD8-B825-80C7981F3670.jpeg 05840B9B-3CF5-4259-873C-C16359D0F0F1.jpeg D7BBF086-476D-436B-9ACF-6529EA8DF600.jpeg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Im almost there... a lot of stuff to set this new rack up but will work out well for lots of future plans.

Love the pics! Cant wait to get some more amphs! Thanks again.

The lemon Oscars are looking good too

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
I’ll keep doing updates for you!!!

but I’m going to move the lemon oscars out of their tank as their fins are turning black which makes me worry that they may be stressed out by the midas

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I bought some 'baby' Hikari Gold floating to feed to the Red Devils and upcoming Midas fry. All the pellets I had on hand were too big. I had been feeding leftover Tetra Crisps and frozen bloodworms to the RD's up till now.

Still plugging away on the garage project, getting tank area ready for the stack rack.

FishBeast

You better hurry as I’m falling in love with the Midas! Haha but the good think is I got enough so you’ll have plenty to grab!
6 large 1” ( two of these are showing signs that they may be creamsicle .... loving them and the two that have orange bodies and red fins)
2 medium 3/4”
5 small 1/2” ( some of these are already fading which is unbelievable to me)

View attachment 5451 View attachment 5452 View attachment 5453 View attachment 5454 View attachment 5455
WOW! Those lemon Oscars!!! :lol so cute!

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
WOW! Those lemon Oscars!!! :lol so cute!
Crazy thing, I have been using up the hikari blood red parrot food that I had for my old flowerhorn and it’s actually turning them from lemon to lemon orange.... it’s a strange color, not quite yellow and not quite albino red oscar colored.... I’ll try to take a pic,

but they are going back to southern delight growth formula

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Crazy thing, I have been using up the hikari blood red parrot food that I had for my old flowerhorn and it’s actually turning them from lemon to lemon orange.... it’s a strange color, not quite yellow and not quite albino red oscar colored.... I’ll try to take a pic,

but they are going back to southern delight growth formula
Ive seen pics of lutino Oscars that were extremely colorful from feeding certain foods. Seems the Hikari Cichlid Gold is pretty famous for coloring up sensitive fish like that. Ive read that if you want to enhance yellows you want a food with marigold in it. I think Aqueon pellets used to use it.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I forgot how small the 'baby' pellets where. I should have just bought the little 2 oz. size of Hikari Gold but it was so much cheaper to do the 8 oz. My RD's are not that big, but they could have done the 'mini' sized just fine.

Still plugging away at the garage mess to make room for the stack rack....

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
A bit of a lame update since there are no pictures, lol

The 3 Hoga in the 300 gallon are growing quite well. I see size and girth happening and they are eating just about anything I throw in there. Took them about a month to settle in but they are doing so good now.

The Petsmart RD's are peeling with some showing black and orange, white yellow tones. Really curious what any of these will turn out like. They too took some time to warm up to me but are eating like champs.

Still working to set up tank rack for the Midas fry from @lloyd378. Would like to grow out the Petsmart RD's with the Midas to get them used to each other.

Thats it for updates on this project. I will try and update the fish with some new pics.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
@lloyd378, the Hikari Cichlid Gold baby pellets were way to small for these red devils. I ended up having to order larger Omega One to feed them. While I know these are not a first choice for you, I do have at least 8oz of these if you want them to feed to those baby midas...

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
So I ended up buying some Omega One Super Color Floating pellets for the RD's and I never remembered them being so small. Said to be 3mm but are not that much larger than the baby Hikari. I had thought they were like the 3mm NLS I had used in the past. Apparently different measuring tools were used, lol.

The RD's are great eaters and took to the Omega One just as fast as anything else I have fed. I do see that they have a very elongated look about them in the face compared to the hoga or the midas that @lloyd378 got for me. I dont like that elongated face as much and thats probably why I tend to like the midas more. But I am interested to see how they turn out none the less. I do hope to keep at least one of these Petsmart Red devils and one of the Hoga and then any other amphs I keep would be midas.

Last edited:

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
So I ended up buying some Omega One Super Color Floating pellets for the RD's and I never remembered them being so small. Said to be 3mm but are not that much larger than the baby Hikari. I had thought they were like the 3mm NLS I had used in the past. Apparently different measuring tools were used, lol.

The RD's are great eaters and took to the Omega One just as fast as anything else I have fed. I do see that they have a very elongated look about them in the face compared to the hoga or the midas that @lloyd378 got for me. I dont like that elongated face as much and thats probably why I tend to like the midas more. But I am interested to see how they turn out none the less. I do hope to keep at least one of these Petsmart Red devils and one of the Hoga and then any other amphs I keep would be midas.

it’s funny, but your last update on the petsmart devils looked more like Midas than devils at that size... but if their faces have become more elongated, I’d love to see an update!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
A few pics

The runt
IMG_20191122_200202491.jpg The runt to the left, the dominant one to the right
IMG_20191122_195759759.jpg
The tank bossIMG_20191122_195832649.jpg
The boss, the one I like the look of best in back. It has cool eyes.
IMG_20191122_200055416.jpg
Boss in front, the one with cool eyes in back
IMG_20191122_195714956.jpg
The dominant one eats well. seen it so full it dropped its tube. Looks male. Have not had a chance to sex the others.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
So the Midas are now able to eat the super blood red hikari pellets in medium size ( or should I say the 7 largest ones can). The smaller Midas can and will eat the omega 1 small sized sinking color pellets for cichlids .

they are getting bigger but not the same size as your petsmart fish

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Getting so close now to having the 75 gallon set up. Started paint on the shelf to hold the tank.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
The trio excited for feeding, just a blur of excitement
IMG_20191128_164108239.jpg
The dominant one was getting to be a bit too much of a bully... so I put him in the 300
IMG_20191128_164237738_BURST000_COVER_TOP(1).jpg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Little guy in the 300. bubbles from doing water change at the time
IMG_20191129_154032251_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

IMG_20191129_153926534_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
Very bold little thing. A lot more alert and interactive compared to the hoga. I dont have a whole lot of info on these hoga as to generation but I would guess much closer to wild caught by the way they act. The Petsmart Red Devil acts very different. It is a true wet pet. Dont see me keeping but one hoga jst due to personality. I am really looking forward to seeing what the midas are like.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
The Midas beg for food like crazy! They still get skittish when I first walk up but quickly rebound as soon as I open the lid